It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stonehenge's wooden twin discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
www.independent.co.uk...

Stonehenge had a previously unknown wooden "twin" just 900m to its north-west, according to remarkable new archaeological investigations.

Using the ground-penetrating equivalent of an X-ray, scientists have discovered what appears to have been a circle of massive timber obelisks, constructed more than 4,200 years ago.

Fascinating stuff... Could this be the trial run for the main "stone" henge??

Or was this the henge for the peasant, with the main Henge being the reserve of the druids???

I would love to really know what these were used for...

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
great find
it could be the blueprints for the construction, like you say a trial run
i wonder if they will excavate the site?

S+F

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

This is truly amazing.

It is amazing that anyone found it.

WOW factor.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
After reading some more it seems that there are actually 3 sites that all line up with each other... Stonehenge being the main site...

Of potential significance is the fact that the newly found henge "mirrors" a similar monument (this time long known to archaeologists) on the other side of Stonehenge – 1,300m south-east of the famous monument. Like the newly discovered site, it is in direct line of sight of Stonehenge and had two entrances. All three monuments would have been roughly aligned.

If only i had a time machine

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Are you referring to Woodhenge? It's been known about for some time, I visited there in 1991. The positions of the original wooden posts had been replaced with concrete posts to convey the design of the place.

I was very envious as someone had decided to erect a henge like structure made out of hay bales (in a field opposit Stonehenge) and I wished I had thought of it!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by teapot
Are you referring to Woodhenge? It's been known about for some time, I visited there in 1991. The positions of the original wooden posts had been replaced with concrete posts to convey the design of the place.

Apparently this is a new discovery in a different direction, NW instead of Woodhenge's NE.
The implication is that there were actually wooden circles all over the place.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I immediately thought of Woodhenge which I visited over 30 years ago. How interesting another one has been found.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
its made headline news
its on the bbc television news programme
its the biggest discovery of religious landmarks in 50 years apperently

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
awesome discovery hopefully they keep coming

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

A trial run was my first thought although it actually seems to be just one part of a bigger plan.

From the source:

Of potential significance is the fact that the newly found henge "mirrors" a similar monument (this time long known to archaeologists) on the other side of Stonehenge – 1,300m south-east of the famous monument. Like the newly discovered site, it is in direct line of sight of Stonehenge and had two entrances. All three monuments would have been roughly aligned.

It's amazing how these neolithic people were seemingly masters in architecture, design and mathematics on such a grand scale.

I hope that a search has now begun on other possible sites in the area, I'm sure there is more to be found.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

it is amazing that they were so good at construction
i mean look at old buildings, like chapels and buildings and the pyramids, the sphynx, the great wall of china
and yet in todays age we just bash up red brick houses one after the other with no time or fulfilment after finish.
i should know ive been on many building projects

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Nice find, i will have to finish reading it after sleep, but interesting.

on a side note, love the pic you chose, great movie.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I stand corrected!

This is an amazing find. I do hope the archeo's don't lose any grant funding, there may be more of these and I for one want to see if there is a 'string' across the country, similar to the Beacons and if they follow any alignment with the Leys.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Intresting.. Seems these layouts are popping up all over the place now.

Wooden "Stonehenge" Emerges From Prehistoric Ohio

Just northeast of Cincinnati, Ohio, a sort of wooden Stonehenge is slowly emerging as archaeologists unearth increasing evidence of a 2,000-year-old ceremonial site.

Source

Makes you wonder just how connected our ancestors were.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Fantastic Find - I somehow always knew that there had to be 3 circles. What will also be interesting is what alignments can be made to the stars from all 3 circles. Does anyone have a map or longtitude and latidute?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by druid1

Sorry but i dont have Co-ordinates for the wooden henges but for stonehenge its...

Lat - 51°10'43.81"N

Lon - 1°49'34.27"W

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Thanks for the longtitude and lattitued what I was thinking is were there any major alignments on these 3 henges. If you join 3 dots on a map maybe they point to something else. Or they start to form a triangle - either way I would love to join the dots up.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by druid1

Yeah good point... bit like the pyramids and the belt of Orion i guess... maybe some kind of correlation here to...

I'll have a dig around and see if i can find the other co-ordinates.

top topics

join