It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Film-goers make tracks to shoefiti flick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Film-goers make tracks to shoefiti flick

www.abc.net.au

It's been written about, photographed and documented on film, but still no-one really knows why so many shoes are hanging from powerlines around the world.

From sexy to sinister, the reasons behind sneaker-tossing have become the stuff of urban legend and in the 1990s it was even given its own term: 'shoefiti'.

Popular theories are that they signify gangland turf, drug houses, that someone's recently lost their virginity, or just a plain old schoolyard prank.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I always wondered what this phenomena signified. Seems like it means different things to different people. I didn't even know it had a name.

I do graffiti but I've never done shoefiti, but now I think I might give it a go

What are your thoughts?

"It's a beautiful, incongruous image that you have this thing that's designed to walk on the Earth and there it is floating about you in the sky. It's a beautiful juxtaposition."

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
lol, I had absolutely no idea what this thread was on about until I clicked the abc link lol. I haven't really seen "shoefiti" around, it should be renamed to shoe-feet-e

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
It's called littering

... and now it's three dimensional

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Russian intelligence found out, that this all was invented by Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro.

Edit: Mhm... Cannot embed it, so here is the link:
Good ole shoe

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Siddharta]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
It used to be used to signal where to score drugs.

Simple as that.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I've seen this and it made me laugh. A signal for drug-dealers? Maybe in some places.
Where I saw it was not too far from a high-school. I think it was just boys having a carry on with their mates, pinching gym shoes or trainers from each others bags and tossing them over the lines for a prank. Next time I'll be sure to take a pic.

Shoefiti - great name.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Well, it also used to be something that soldiers did on their last night in the Army before discharge. I left mine hanging on the wire outside my units barracks on my last night there. Its frowned upon, as if frowning ever stopped someone from doing something stupidly juvenile before.

I suppose that would be more "combatbootfiti" though, huh?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
They should put the powerlines underground anyway.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
I've seen this and it made me laugh. A signal for drug-dealers? Maybe in some places.
Where I saw it was not too far from a high-school. I think it was just boys having a carry on with their mates, pinching gym shoes or trainers from each others bags and tossing them over the lines for a prank. Next time I'll be sure to take a pic.

Shoefiti - great name.

LOL, where do you think most drug dealers ply their trade.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
i was under the "understanding" that when an "innocent" person is killed their shoes are thrown on city wires as an "homage"

top topics

join