It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to Call Aliens? Keep it Short and Simple, Scientists Say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Want to Call Aliens? Keep it Short and Simple, Scientists Say

Source

For 50 years, people have watched the skies with radio telescopes, hoping to detect signals of intelligent alien life. So far, however, the efforts of SETI (the search for extraterrestrial intelligence) have proved fruitless. Now some scientists suggest the kind of signals SETI has hoped to find for decades might not be what aliens would broadcast. In a way, the form of communication might come down to cost.

After reading the article it does make one wonder about SETI. After 50 years of not finding any repeatable signals one would think to look elsewhere in addition to what they consider the norm.

This is also the first time I have heard about GCRT J17445-3009. Scientists have detected repeating signals (It sends out radio waves in bursts lasting up to 10 minutes in a 77-minute cycle) coreward to the center of our Galaxy. I find it intresting that this didnt make the news with the possible implications behind it.

GCRT J17445-3009 Info

Test Case - In 2002 a puzzling and unidentified transient radio source, designated GCRT J17445-3009, was discovered by the Very Large Array (VLA) radio telescopes in New Mexico, USA.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Xcathdra]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

After reading the article it does make one wonder about SETI. After 50 years of not finding any repeatable signals one would think to look elsewhere in addition to what they consider the norm.

I still think we are going about the wrong way to contact extraterrestrial life. If we went by the word of Steven Hawking, a radio signal would never reach them.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
SETI are muppets....

It doesnt take a scientist to work out that any life out there probably WONT be sending out radio signals

the whole project is a sham designed to keep everyone in the dark and fool people into believing that TPTB are looking for life elsewhere..... If they realy want to find ET, They can just hop on a bus to James Gillilands ranch and watch them zooming all over the place

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Master Shen long]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long
SETI are muppets....

It doesnt take a scientist to work out that any life out there probably WONT be sending out radio signals

the whole project is a sham designed to keep everyone in the dark and fool people into believing that TPTB are looking for life elsewhere..... If they realy want to find ET, They can just hop on a bus to James Gillilands ranch and watch them zooming all over the place

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Master Shen long]

Lol fair point... I dunno.. I dont think we are alone in the universe.. Way to big for it to be just us. Just kinda wished the Aliens would quit talking to the Governments and just touch down in public, or interupt our tv broadcast.

The Cseti (optical search) has returned a few intresting results.

new topics

top topics

join