It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ciudad del Este, Paraguay -- the "blacker than black market."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Anyone ever heard of Ciudad del Este in Paraguay? From what I gather its one of the world's largest and most diverse black markets. They have essentially established a no-holds-barred "free market" where containers are not checked by anyone. Thus it seems almost anything can (and, presumably, does) pass through this global hub of the seamy world of underground commerce.

It is also characterized by its ethnic and national hodgepodge...just about every part of the world from Asia to the Middle East to South America to Africa seems to have a small community doing one sort of "business" or another in this city. Even al-Qaeda and Hezbollah activity is alleged (see below)

A fat Lebanese man emerges from a room behind the cash register holding an AK-47 as though it were a full cup of coffee.
“Four fifty,” he says, sucking on a toothpick. “American. And if you want help getting it across the border, that can be arranged.”
His storefront is about the size of a walk-in closet, barely large enough for the five shoppers here today, and made to feel even more cramped by the half-dozen targets hanging from the ceiling.
“Four hundred,” I counter.
“Four twenty-five,” he replies.
“Four hundred,” I repeat, feigning confidence and experience.
“Four fifteen is absolutely as low as I will go,” he grumbles, “but I will give you the first 15 bullets for free.”

Here, just inside Paraguay, close to where that country ends and Argentina and Brazil begin, is Ciudad del Este—most famous for its markets, both illicit and legal, which I’m shopping my way through with startling ease...

The downtown market is dense and compact, a maze of concrete spanning a five-block-by-five-block square. Despite its size, the market is extraordinary for its diversity. There’s the upscale Monalisa shopping mall, where the nouveau riche stock up on authentic Montblanc pens and Bulgari jewelry, alongside sidewalk kiosks offering pirated copies of Die Hard 4.0 in bulk and where San Francisco 49ers fans can buy shoddily sewn “Startar” jackets. Thanks to the fact that Paraguay has lower import tariffs than either of its neighbors, Ciudad del Este essentially functions as a massive outdoor duty-free shop—a destination for anyone looking for a bargain.

At the markets, business is international. Everything comes from somewhere else, stopping in Ciudad del Este for a brief respite on card tables and in malls before being packed into the luggage of tourists and smugglers who flock here by the hundreds daily, stocking up on My Little Pony dolls, PlayStations, bootleg DVDs, brass knuckles, and, of course, machine guns. This can make it a dangerous place. Even the city’s police admit that Ciudad del Este has become a haven for criminals. And though little evidence has ever been made public to support the allegation, the governments of Argentina and the United States have long maintained that both al-Qaeda and Hezbollah have received funding from businesses operating in the city.

...Brazón, who followed his Paraguayan wife to Ciudad del Este 25 years ago, is part of a sizeable immigrant population drawn to the city by its open markets and promises of wealth. In addition to migrants from its neighboring countries, Ciudad del Este is home to a sizable Muslim population, as well as Japanese, Taiwanese, and Koreans. Downtown, billboards of Asian models advertise cheap clothes and jewelry, while a nameless Chinese restaurant three blocks off the market’s center counts as one of the best I’ve ever sampled. Another afternoon, on my way to an Arab restaurant for lamb shawarma, I overhear two women haggling in Mandarin over the bulk price of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers figurines. When my check comes, it is tallied up in U.S. dollars, though I could pay in Brazilian reals or Paraguayan guarani if I had them handy.

More at source:
www.good.is...

This article above is not new, but I'm guessing the city and its various markets have not disappeared since its been written.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Its funny, you don't often hear much about Paraguay. The last time was when Bush supposedly bought up a bunch of land there to bug out to if the SHTF.

It looks like he'd fit in real well there with the rest of the soul-less crooks.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Lived in CDE for awhile, been there a couple other times.

You name it, you can get it. Paraguay's borders are more loose than the girls in Pahrump, Nevada. You can get into the country with a US $20. You can get the officers to do anything for a US $50.

Truckloads of weapons cross into Paraguay to go "north" all the time.

Pedro Juan Caballero is very similiar, except with the dry border is it much looser.

PS, there definitely are terrorists in the Tres Fronteras area. That was known before 9/11

PPS the 'playstations' are actually polystations

[edit on 22-7-2010 by slidebyem]

join