It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gonna be 50 in August and pissed at the youth of today..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Yep..that's right..I work hard everyday..I am a maintenance super at a small co. and i bust my ass every day to get the job done..in the last 2 months i have gone through 5 guys who were in there mid 20's who cannot keep up with me on SIMPLE tasks.

I mean SIMPLE tasks too, like helping me touch-up paint an apt. that isn't in too badd of shape or help carry an old water heater out of one place and put in a new one, not one of them can caulk or fix anything, even a simple task like spackling holes is a mystery to them..wow.. i feel like i am surrounded by aliens who don't come from this planet..I live in a college town and most are students looking for work,but, still.. don't kids these days learn anything from their parents??

I had one kid come to me with his list and ask..what's a drip pan?? this was after i gave him the drip pans and pointed at the big round holes on the stove where they were missing...lol.. sigh...

the good news is....they can all work an I-Pod..hmmm

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I know how you feel, and I'm a female. I can do all of those things and you will either find me on a roof, under a sink, tending to my garden, cooking a fab meal in a pit I built, or under the hood of my car, before any man I know would even offer to lend a hand, at first I thought it was because they were rude, come to find out, they don't know.

Their like who taught you, ummm, look around, besides I took building apartment maintenance in school, if I need something I look it up, now a days if its not run on batteries, rings, sparkles, or glows, no one wants to learn how to do anything with their hands... except text. Which I'm in my mid-30's and cant do.

Maybe you can start asking for women employees, I'm sure you will get better results

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Please do not be discouraged with the youth of today. I am a little more than half your age and do not believe that all of us are like that. You sir have unfortunately found the type that have had everything done for them. Maybe you should look outside of the town to find some hard workers. I for one know what a hard days work is and appreciate every dollar (while it is few) that I make.

I understand the frustration with children that want everything done for them and handed to them on a silver platter. We are not all raised like that. Some of us had parents that were not lawyers, doctors, politicians, or government contractors and actually had to work hard to put food on the table. They in turn passed these traits down to us. I believe that this all stems from our society turning to third world countries to produce goods and our society creating only service type jobs. Just sit behind a computer ignore the sun and make a great paycheck.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I feel ya. Just turned 57 and some of today's youth really annoy me. Whenever I get to feeling that our youth is worthless, I alway look at my 18 year old granson who is a hard worker. He graduated from highschool at 16 but the economy kept him from getting a college scholarship. He always makes me feel hopeful our future.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Not to be a dick but, apparently you were born with the knowledge to do the kind of work you do?

See, many of these whipper snappers today grew up not having to know how to do any of the kinds of things you learned growing up. Many of these kids came from middle class families that could afford to hire out to get work done on their homes.

I know it sucks, but I guess you have to slow down and teach these kids what to do. After all, if it doesn't involve a controller or a keyboard they probably have no idea.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
When I was 19 or so I took a job with the state park service doing maintenance and landscaping. I had no experience and never even used a push mower. I had a supervisor who was the maintenance chief who had been there 30 years.

Sometimes he had to show me something. Sometims he threw me in feet first to figure it out on my own.But he was a like a father figure to me and we worked well together.

Because despite my age and being a female, he never once dis-respected me and acted like I couldn't do anything, or that I was a lesser person for it. He challenged me.

To this day I have always respected him for it.

I learned a lot. Some situations downright scarey. The following year I was supervisor.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Cool..nice responses and you are all right...I will try to take more time to teach if i can..it is turn season here and i have to get things done in a hurry..but i promise i will try..thanks all..

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
What you need to do is get a few things from Ikea.

If they can assemble them, hire them.....

and I have noticed the same lack of understanding of how things work in today's youth. I made sure that my son was brought up with Legos, model planes and a great imagination.

If society ever collapses, it will be us old ones that will be looked upon as the geniuses..

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I will be 30 in August and I have always had a chip on my shoulder because none of the females in my family (mom, grandmothers, aunts) ever taught me how to do anything that mothers and grandmothers pass down to their daughters and grand-daughters such as sewing, knitting, crocheting or cooking. I didn't have a male figure in my life growing up to teach me about cars, maintenance or electronics.

So I really think that if you take the time to teach these young adults, sure some of them will be selfish little brats who won't give a hoot but I bet a lot of them will be grateful and look up to you.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by snowflake_obsidian]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
dont worry man,when they start starving with no one to feed them theyll learn to take care of them selfs,when they dont have money to "pay" for painting a wall,they will learn to do it themselfs.
im 21 and i can be pretty retarded at manual labor tasks until i learn to do it.
then im proud of my self

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Actually you have hit a point. All the toys are geared to bein'g educational and are electronic. I have lots of teachers in my family, and they despise these toys. For one, kids don't learn anything and they get around the educational parts and only play wiht the fun parts.

I have read many articles that the best toys to give children that they learn from the most are the good ol' fashioned legos, tinker toys and lincoln logs. Because you have to take these shapes and use imagination and engineering to build what you want. Instead of a critter jumping out and reciting abc to you.

There is a good book called: The Power Of Play. it goes into how important free play is for preschoolers. Parents are worried about early learning and abcs and wanting their kids to be the first to read and count to 10, that valuable time that is used for learning is now used to learn memorization.

How your child learns for the rest of their life is developed by the age of five.
So if a parent teaches them nothing but linera learning like ABCS and recigint presidents, you set your kid up to fail in creative thinking and in other areas. There is a reason they save these things tillt he age of five.
While free play doesn't look like much, kids are garnishing tons of information from it. They may be dropping a ball for the 100th time, but they have probably picked up 10 different things from it.

I despise that commerical: yoru baby can read. Because now your inviting parents to try to get babies to read when it is the wrong time for them to do so.

And it doesn't matter, becauase all kids wil even out and catch up by the first grade.

Also social skills are exteremely important. Get yoru kid out to meet other kids. It doesn't matter how smart your kid is if they can't function socialy and work as a team.

The only exception I would make is learning another langauage. Because as a child learns to talk is when they absorbe and memorize the sounds it takes for languages.

My husband spent the first 2 years of his life in Peru. Though he doesn't speak spanish, he and I are trying to learn and he picks it up far faster then myself.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I'll tell you your right, even thou i am in that age group.

i know how to spackle and know what a drip pan is,
could paint somewhat and change my own oil when i was 16.

i grew up in the country thou.

tell me how many young people like myself can weld with a acetylene torch?

i guess it where and how you grow up,you learn what you know, but you can always learn more.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by quantumdragon]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Am 67 learning is a lifelong experience.. Granted many young people may not know how to do what to us older people are simple tasks.. But the world they grow up in is different than the world we grew up in.. Theres much we can teach them and theres much we can learn from them.. Am teaching a few of the locals traditional chinese medicine and martial arts. Passing my knowledge on to the next generations.. Granted things are different here in s.e asia than in the west.. The same can be applied there pass your skills on to the young ones and learn from them as well.. Remember patience goes far..

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
nixie_nox i ..wow.your the best

if it wasnt for the ATCO lego set i had when i was little,i wouldnt be the creative different thinking man of today. those things let my mind expand and flow into wonders.
nowadays kids corrupt theyr brain with crap like ipods.
when i have a son im going to give him the biggest LEGO SET EVER!

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Yes.. i know about patience and i appreciate your words...

I was just frustrated over their lack of any skills..

if i had it my way i would sit them all down and teach them some skills..

then they would be productive people..

instead of a bunch of knuckleheads..

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Not all of today's youth are stupid.Unfortunately schools today prefer to teach ''book smarts'' rather than ''street smarts''.I am 19 yrs old and can do everything you mentioned in your post but then again ive worked at my family owned hardware store since i was 10.I even built my first car (a Ford F-150 pick-up truck) by myself from the spark plugs up.Its a piece of crap old junker but i wouldnt trade it for a bentley.My point is not ALL of todays youth is dumb they just werent raised like you and i. Dont catergorize a whole generation just because a few within that generation cant do what you can.They werent taught to do those things.Instead of getting mad and angry why dont you teach them to do the things they themselves dont know how to do.Be a role model.One day i am sure they will thank you for the knowledge and wisdom.''Be the change you want to see in the world''-Mahatma Gandhi

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

As someone who was "the youth of today" a few years ago.....

I get tired of hearing how stupid and lazy all the youth are.

Not everyone under 35 is a privileged, vacuous , conceited lay about.
And those who ARE were raised by your generation so who should be accepting the responsibility?

Another thing if you apply that type of rant to most other groups in society you are labeled an "ist".
Sexist, racist etc.

Stupid wankers (the type of people you are referring to) come in all ages, they are not limited to those born after 1985.Like my partners "supervisor" who goes to sleep at work he's 60.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Granted many young people may not know how to do what to us older people are simple tasks.. But the world they grow up in is different than the world we grew up in.. Theres much we can teach them and theres much we can learn from them

I would very strongly agree with Expat. While I am in the category of 'youth' I am aware that I am "unskilled" (for lack of a better word) in your terms. However the world we are living in is different to the one you grew up in. Your skills and abilities were generally assessed in ways which are different to ours.
For example, unlike you I would not be able to maintain a vehicle on my own, something which is probably something simple for you to do. However, I doubt very much you would be able to do some of the things that I do without even thinking about.

I think its wrong to say either age group is unskilled, useless or generally stupid. Its just a case of your generation learning a different set of skills from those we're learning. Both of us have much to learn, and much to teach.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JackofBlades

I agree with you completely.

But if there is ever an event that destroys the electronics of today, it's the skills that were used before all of these conveniences that will become invaluable.

I do wish that the schools would have a mandatory course on just simple "how things work" so the youth of today would at least have an idea how to fix problems if they arise.

I feel that as a species, we are becoming much too dependent on technology and should have a basic knowledge of "the old ways", just in case.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades

Originally posted by Expat888
Granted many young people may not know how to do what to us older people are simple tasks.. But the world they grow up in is different than the world we grew up in.. Theres much we can teach them and theres much we can learn from them

I would very strongly agree with Expat. While I am in the category of 'youth' I am aware that I am "unskilled" (for lack of a better word) in your terms. However the world we are living in is different to the one you grew up in. Your skills and abilities were generally assessed in ways which are different to ours.
For example, unlike you I would not be able to maintain a vehicle on my own, something which is probably something simple for you to do. However, I doubt very much you would be able to do some of the things that I do without even thinking about.

So what skills do the younger people have today that we older people do not?

aside from believing that today's youth just has "different" skills, there are just things that you should know how to do.
You should be able to change your own tire and not call AAA,
You should be able to keep your vehicle running and know how it works.
Maybe you could know how to fix basic problems around the house like electrical, plumbing, roofing, painting & landscaping,

It annoyed the hell out of me last week when returning home from Phoenix and passed this car on the side of the road. I stopped to ask if they needed anything because of the temps (100+) and the guy said he had a flat tire and CRAP!!! he had no cell signal.
I say: "don't you have a spare?"
Him: yeah but I usually call them(?) to come fix it.
He had a jack, lug wrench and spare but didn't know how to change a tire.
The guy was late 20's I would guess and I would have just left him sitting there to sweat but he had a lady and a small child in the car (with no water)
so I changed the tire and disgustedly just left. He offered to give me $100 for the service but I refused and told hi to carry water from now on when traveling through the desert in the summer and he really should learn to change a tire because next time somebody may not come by or stop.

He acted like I was the retard. Looking back I guess I was, I shoulda took his damn money..........

I think its wrong to say either age group is unskilled, useless or generally stupid. Its just a case of your generation learning a different set of skills from those we're learning. Both of us have much to learn, and much to teach.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join