It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the school system teach education or indoctrination ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
A little bit of both. I wouldn't say 'school systems' because there are thousands of those, but it rather depends on the teacher and the course and how they teach it.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I hope this is a rhetorical question.

Second paragraph.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
Adding "Second paragraph" doesn't make it any less of a 1-liner.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Great idea for a thread I have often pondered this. I went to a Catholic all boys schools so as you can imagine they didn't appreciate too many questions. Particularly in religious studies.

I will say this though much of what I learned in my early school years has been largely forgotten and my real education only began when I started reading for pleasure myself, in my spare time.

The internet has been a great tool for pursuing an individuals own interests, and I would suspect most education about the world now takes place online. Of course you have many pitfalls of disinformation and bias online too, but this is something you learn in good time. Although some folks never do.

Have a star and flag on me OP

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Schools teach all the wrong stuff. It leaves us helpless and dependant on "experts" for help with anything.
You'd think with little kids brains being the way they are that they could leave school with a degree in medicine, nursing, music, language, etc.

WHY NOT?

At the very least every school leaver should have a pass in first aid, but no, they're taught 90% bumph.

There should be no need for kids to leave school at 16 or whatever and not be GREAT at something. The system stinks.

The other day in the paper they said that 1 in 5 leaves school unable to read. Well, if the school has had that child for 10-11 years then someone hasn't done their job right and heads should roll. A- for not teaching them and B- for not even noticing till too late.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

That is so true, when your a kid your brain is like a sponge.

I think kids should be taught different laguages in the early stages of school, because this makes it easier to pick them up later in life, and there is nothing better than being able to go where you want and speak to people hundreds of miles away from completely different cultures.

I hated my school system because we had sets of subjects to pick from, so I had to make a choice between two subjects I really had a passion for, meanwhile I was forced to do several I had absolutely no interest in.

So really we were working around the staff instead of the other way round. The student's education and happiness should be paramount.

That being said obviously I agree there should be rules and boundaries to some degree too, because that in itself is an important lesson. However I do not agree with the suggestion 'life is hard get used to it.' Seems like an excuse for teachers to be lazy, suggesting that by not helping their students they will be better off, because they will become self reliant, when they are adults no one is going to help them.

School can be a big ole dream squasher

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner

School can be a big ole dream squasher

Exactly right.

I had to give up art to do another subject. Can't remember what it was (long time ago). I remember I was fuming.
Happiest time was when a guitar teacher came to school and picked me and 2 boys for special lessons. Only saw him three times then he vanished. Lessons over.

I didn't go to school much. I was a serial truant, could fake my mum's signature on a note from about 8 years old. Should have got an A-level for that.

I've been home-schooling my daughter for 5 years but she's asked to go to school this year and I've got her a place at a 'good' primary. (It had better be good). I've discovered, talking to her new friends, that I've taught her stuff that's two years ahead of them. Hope that's okay with the school.

I like to watch the little prodigies on youtube, especially the musicians. They're awesome. EVERY kid should be able to do that, they just don't get the chance.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Great example of the untapped potential of our children .
I believe that TPTB are getting exactly what they are paying for .

It may prove interesting to research the evolutionof the school system and how it became
What it now is .

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I personally think that the school system is just there for propaganda. I just graduated and I hated going to school and it left a bad tate in my mouth. I felt that i would get ingored or punished for asking a question where i thought for myself or wasn't conforming with other students and being "brainwashed". School definetly wasn't hard for me as I passed most tests easily without studying and performed decently on daily work, but I just didn't care because I could see what was really happening and the most I ever learned was reading through my anatomy book which was very educational and that was just me reading it by myself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join