It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freak Star Breaks Limit for Size

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

SYDNEY: Astronomers have discovered a mammoth star in a nearby galaxy that is 300 times the mass of the Sun and 10 million times brighter, easily breaking all the records.

The record-breaking star was discovered using a collection of data from the European Southern Observatory's (ESO) Very Large Telescope and from NASA.

A team of scientists led by astrophysicist Paul Crowther from the University of Sheffield in England reported their findings in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/001627fe757e.jpg[/atsimg]

Breaking the limit two times over

Small stars are well documented and the lower limit for small stars in close to 0.1 solar mass. The mass of large stars is less definite, but until now it was believed that around 150 solar masses is the largest a star can be.

When they discovered the mammoth star, Crowther and his team were studying a cluster of stars – where stars are born – called RMC 136a, located in the Tarantula Nebula. The star, 'R136a1', has a mass of 265 solar masses, which means it's birth solar mass would be closer to 320 solar masses, as stars lose mass as they age.

R136a1 not only supersedes the Sun in mass but it's surface temperature measure at over 40,000 degrees, several times hotter than the Sun, which, along with its mass makes the newly discovered star millions of times brighter than the Sun as well.

Things keep getting bigger and bigger out in space, I'm sure it wont be to long before they find a star that dwarfs this one.

New discovery's in space everyday, pretty exciting

Source

[edit on 7/21/2010 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
First Your Amazing "BUILT TO KILL" Thread & Now This.

ATS Built To Kill Thread

Thank You for Bringing Such Great Information To ATS. Star & Flag

Warmest Regards,
t

edit to add link to thread

[edit on 7/21/2010 by EyeHeartBigfoot]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed both threads.

unfortunately i think your the only one besides myself who found this one interesting.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
That is insane. Ok as I see it things get really big and really really small. What if there is a sun out there that is say 15miles wide with planets circling it etc. Just think about it stuff could exist on these planets that are as small as microbes, but be intelligent.

Also a S&F

[edit on 22-7-2010 by ExCloud]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Very cool find! Too bad they haven't included any specific information... I would be very interested to see if this discovery breaks the rules of the standard model. I would not have believed an object could be this massive, however if it's density was low enough it could be possible? Always interested in finds that violate the current understanding of physics. Mainly because the ones we know of are often ignored to preserve the model we currently embrace. It works well but still has many flaws and does little to describe many of the most fundamentally basic questions. I'll try to source some more info on this.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
Things keep getting bigger and bigger out in space, I'm sure it wont be to long before they find a star that dwarfs this one.

Sorry but your thread title is incorrect, this star doesn't break any size records, though it does set a new record for greatest mass. It's only tens of times larger than our sun, whereas VY Canis Majoris is 2000 times larger than our sun, so it completely dwarfs this star in size.

And this thread is a duplicate, I posted a video of the larger star in the other thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

so you should probably ask a mod to close this duplicate thread and refer to the other thread, though that one has an incorrect title too.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
awesome thread man hope to hear about more discoveries like this one

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Sorry but your thread title is incorrect.

Not my title friend, its the title of the article I'm linking to, I tend to keep the titles of sources instead of making up my own (not always but most the time)

This thread received zero attention so closing it seems unwarranted at this time.

I do however apologize to thedarklingthrush, it was not my intent to make a duplicate thread, guess are titles being so different was the reason my search didn't turn anything up.

If you (Arbitrageur) would like this thread closed, just hit the ALERT button on my original post and ask a mod to close it, I'm not going to take the time to do it myself.

new topics

top topics

join