It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rice farmer is awarded $500,000 in case over crop contamination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Rice farmer is awarded $500,000 in case over crop contamination

www.stltoday.com

A federal jury in St. Louis awarded $500,248 on Wednesday to a farmer who claimed that he and his family had lost just over $1.5 million when genetically modified rice contaminated the U.S. rice supply.

The trial, which lasted more than three weeks, is the fifth trial in federal and state courts in which farmers have been awarded damages. In all, hundreds of lawsuits filed by thousands of farmers and others against Bayer CropScience have alleged that the release of LibertyLink, a herbicide-resistant rice, into the rice supply cost farmers millions.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Well, I think this is a good thing that this farmer won his case. While I doubt that the GMO crops will be outlawed in this country, more exposure needs to be made of the harms of these crops so that more people would be aware and avoid eating them as much as possible.

This case may be appealed I reckon. I do not see the GMO people to be the types to accept a defeat so easily.

www.stltoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
It is a good step forward. GMO plants are destroyers from hell. A pox on all of their creators and the politicians who let it/made it happen.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Now with this precedence when will the lawsuits against Monsanto start.

So far its been Monsanto suing farmers and its about time the courts played fair and helped the farmers with crop contamination from Monsanto GM crops

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Starred and flagged!

There is so much wrong in the world these days, with so little hope
to turn the wrong back to right. It often seems the war is over. But
with this precedent hope is not lost.

Mega corporations with their deep pockets and their army of lawyers are
a pox on small town farmers, world-wide. They have USED the law to
force family farms into bankruptcy. Preying on innocent farmers whose
fields become ~tainted~ with their genetically modified crops. forcing
the small farmer to "PAY THEM" for their own mistake. It is a travesty
of justice.

Perhaps now, with this precedent, the innocent farmer will have some hope
of fighting back against these evil mega corps, intent on stealing their
lands and their livelihoods.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This is really big news. GMO crop contamination should continue to be ruled against like this. I wonder if LibertyLink rice is in fact a Monsanto product? It's just so typical to give things like this a patriotic sounding name. Disgusting.

Score one for the people.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
500,000 I think they should have got a lot more than that.

The trial, which lasted more than three weeks, is the fifth trial in federal and state courts in which farmers have been awarded damages. In all, hundreds of lawsuits filed by thousands of farmers.

Wow hundreds of law suits and only 5 get awarded damages.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimpleKnowledge
500,000 I think they should have got a lot more than that.

The trial, which lasted more than three weeks, is the fifth trial in federal and state courts in which farmers have been awarded damages. In all, hundreds of lawsuits filed by thousands of farmers.

Wow hundreds of law suits and only 5 get awarded damages.

I don't care too much for those odds either, but hopefully all the time, effort, and money spent to defend against these cases will start to mount their toll.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Lets just hope it sets a precedent, and hope like hell the award doesnt get reduced. Which often happens. People read the headlines, think they have a victory, and years later the award is gutted by a sympathetic judge and the victim gets little or nothing.

top topics

join