It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars. The Red Planet, Not?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by lambros56

i just figured you were referring to photos taking from the apollo missions. if not, my bad.

side note, i am an amateur astronomer. i have seen mars, and it is most definitely red.

signature is quote from Futurama

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
From what I can gather, Mars is kind of salmon colored overall, with some wispy clouds that can sometimes look a bit grey in the sky, and there are some greyish little round bits of rock that blow around and accumulate that look kind of blue if you get enough of them together.

Either way, at this point, Mars is apparently a dead world.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
well if they colored the Mars pics its another lie.We're not going to see the real thing from them any time soon since the circus has just begun.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Here is an example of a composite image made with the three images from the red, green and blue filters. I used the radiometrically corrected images, that are much better than the more common images, taken directly from NASA's PDS Geosciences Node at Washington University in St. Louis.

I only changed the brightness and contrast.

(click for full size)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

let me re say it to you
no planet can be really red, unless theres a huge sandstorm

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

first of all, what is sand? secondly, what does a sandstorm have to do with color?

Why is Mars Red?

most importantly, i still cant figure out why NASA would try to deceive us of a planets color.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Have to agree with Monguzi about "Why fool us over colour?"

Good thread though, interesting suggestions.

And hi gang, new to the forum, but enjoying the debates, x

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
let me re say it to you
no planet can be really red, unless theres a huge sandstorm

Soooo... The sand changes color when it's lifted into the air, and changes back when it settles to the ground?

I'll trust my own eyes in this matter. It's orange.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
There is a madness to the false color presented on Mars to keep we

humanoids on Earth from learning the truth about life today existing on

Mars. I will bet my life on it that biological lifeforms exist today on

the surface of the planet Mars. You say you have been told and

shown that the air mixture is not right for biological lifeforms to exist on Mars.

LOL. Who said that the Martian lifeforms have to breath the same

ratio of gases to survive on Mars as we humans do on Earth.

You ask where is the proof ? There is lots of proof starting with the ESA-

European Space Agency photos.

Mars Civilization: Evidence By European Space Agency

www.youtube.com...

You say that does not prove anything that this is but a bunch of

highly magnified pixelated images of structures, roads and statues.

Think again we have been mislead by NASA & JPL and there are

thousands of photos that show life existing on Mars today.

The first photo ever taken on the surface by the Viking

Missions actually showed a Martian, looking like a Wizard, lying on the

ground face up and looking as though it had been landed on by the

landing pad of the Viking I Lander. Not to mention Lifeforms standing

near the Viking Lander with a nearby perfect tiny alien humanoid skull

and tiny boat that looks like a perfect child's toy boat also near the

Viking Lander. An elongated skull of a tiny animal is also next to

the Viking I lander.

Think I have quite an imagination think again folks you are in for a

treat in the future. ^Y^

[edit on 24-7-2010 by amari]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by amari
You ask where is the proof ? There is lots of proof starting with the EPA-

European Space Agency photos.

What's EPA?

Mars Civilization: Evidence By European Space Agency

www.youtube.com...

You say that does not prove anything that this is but a bunch of highly magnified pixelated images of structures, roads and statues.

That does not prove anything, it only shows that someone that looks only at half of the information and does not see the full image may look stupid for those that saw the full image.

Those rectangular "features" only appear in the false colour version of the photo, the higher resolution greyscale photo doesn't show any of those.

The first photo ever taken on the surface by the Viking Missions actually showed a Martian, looking like a Wizard, lying on the ground face up and looking as though it had been landed on by the landing pad of the Viking I Lander. Not to mention Lifeforms standing near the Viking Lander with a nearby perfect tiny alien humanoid skull and tiny boat that looks like a perfect child's toy boat also near the Viking Lander. An elongated skull of a tiny animal is also next to the Viking I lander.

Think I have quite an imagination think again folks you are in for a treat in the future.

If you cannot provide an example of those first photos then everyone may think that they are all in your imagination, right?

PS: sorry for changing your paragraph style, but this way I think it's easier to read.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by amari

I am sorry, amari...I tried to watch that YouTube video you posted....

I wasted four and a half minutes watching the guy scroll thorugh the pages on the ESA website, and then download the photo....does he ever get to the point????

Because so far, I'm not impressed by this dude.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK...I soldiered on....that's now EIGHT MINUTES of my life I want back!

After time index ~5:00 the man making that YouTube video displays his utter insanity, and weak grasp on reality, for the entire online world to view. Like watching a train wreck --- you're appalled, but can't turn away from the devastation....

All I can say is, it is a vivid example of delusion, spurred by a type of phenomenom known as PAREIDOLIA

The clincher to the man's misindentification of what he is seeing is when he "zooms", and encounters the increased pixellation effects....

....what a shame (
) that he has 'disabled comments' on his video!

Or, actually I should say..."little surprise", huh?

[edit on 24 July 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

A Miss type, instead of the initials EPA it should be ESA- European Space

Agency. The first photo next to the Viking I Lander I had seen was a

black and white Photo of the area near the equator a low land area of

Mars known as Chryse Planitia.

A shinny robot's or cyborg head similar to C-3PO was in one of the

photos of the Viking II Lander mission and you had never heard about

or had seen anything about that photo have you? Furthermore most

of you did not know about the Sandbox at JPL used for operational

scenarios for the rover mission better know as the Pathfinder

Sojourner mission. This particular Sandbox was not outside in the

desert like you thought it would be but it was hidden indoors in a

warehouse type building under bright lights. Sand and rocks from

Earth were used in the Sandbox but guess what large wall sized

photos on the walls of the warehouse they were using in the

Sandbox for the rover? You guessed it the Viking missions for

operation scenarios for recognition. What was in those Wall sized

photos is unbelievable and hardly no one has ever seen those

photos. ^Y^

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by amari

A shinny robot's or cyborg head similar to C3PO was in one of the

photos of the Viking II Lander mission and you had never heard about

or had seen anything about that photo have you?

I have heard about that photo, but it was not a photo from Mars, it was from the Apollo 17 mission. Richard Hoagland claimed to have found "Data's head" in the photo:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/125bc7bc8011.jpg[/atsimg]
www.enterprisemission.com...

Here is the image of Shorty Crater (AS17-137-21000), and I have marked the area where you can find Hoagland's robot head:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2f4849c551fd.jpg[/atsimg]
Hi resolution image here:
history.nasa.gov...

This is a cropped version of the image, where you can see "Data's head" above the rock that looks a bit like a turkey:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8efb3f00ee24.jpg[/atsimg]

Sadly Mr. Hoagland did quite a bit of work on the photo to make it look like Data's head. He manipulated contrasts and colors, reshaped the rock's "eyes", added shadows and so on.

You can read a lot more about the manipulation of the photo here:
dorkmission.blogspot.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FermiFlux

The color they get on the filters is adjusted to be acurate.You want to know how they do this on the rover?

Calibration Targets

When you adjust the color on your television set, you do so by picking something on the screen that you know should be a certain color (such as grass should be green) and you adjust your set accordingly. This is a form of calibration. You used the color of the grass as a reference point. Instruments that go to Mars also need to be calibrated so that scientists receive accurate information. There has to be a known reference -- a calibration target.

The Pancam calibration target is, by far, the most unique the rover carries. It is in the shape of a sundial and is mounted on the rover deck. Pancam will image the sundial many times during the mission so that scientists can adjust the images they receive from Mars. They use the colored blocks in the corners of the sundial to calibrate the color in images of the martian landscape. Pictures of the shadows that are cast by the sundial's center post allow scientists to properly adjust the brightness of each Pancam image. Children provided artwork for the sides of the base of the sundial.

So to argue they got the colors wrong is silly since we adjusted them from a known value just like your TV.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Yes, I had seen this Moon photo that Richard Hoagland has talked about and

presented. The C-3PO Shinny looking Cyborg head shot is from a Viking

II photo. The cyborg seems to be camouflaged either by holding a

fiberglass looking rock in front of itself or it was doctored by who was

disguising or doctoring the Viking Mission photos from Mars. This is

what the Cyborg head similarly looks like on Mars from the Viking II

Mission. ^Y^

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

So everyone will know what dragonridr is talking about, here's a photo of the Pancam Calibration Target, used on the Rovers:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cd2904addf06.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The images from the Mars rovers are received as grayscaled images

Sorry Phage I have to disagree. Are you saying that we sent a billion dollar mission to Mars and decided we would use a camera only capable of black and white imagery?

I mean we have satellites that take incredible COLOUR images of earth from space so why would we send a rover to Mars and think it is more useful to have grey scale only?

If something does not make sense it is for a reason, it makes no sense! NO WAY can I believe that NASA would be that stupid. The UK Mars effort had a colour camera! landed perfectly but we were told if failed! I wonder what it saw that they did not want us to see.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FermiFlux

Sorry OP, what's your point? Reverted? Like tricked?

Your title says Red planet "not". So you think it's something other than red??

Just looking for clarification. I am dense for:
My name is OM and I am a recovering hippie (just ask......ummm, anyone here who knows me
)

[edit on 24-7-2010 by One Moment]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by theregonnakillme

Ummmm....Phage might not be online atm....

But, if he were (or ArMaP too --- or any number of people who know more about it...THEY are the ones who I learned this from!):

Even your digital camera imaging device actually uses "gray scale"...the 'CCD' that takes the image.

It is software in the circuitry that somehow makes "color" in digital formats.

Wait, maybe it's on the "interwebs"....Found this:

Capturing Color
Unfortunately, each photosite is colorblind. It only keeps track of the total intensity of the light that strikes its surface. In order to get a full color image, most sensors use filtering to look at the light in its three primary colors. Once the camera records all three colors, it combines them to create the full spectrum.

electronics.howstuffworks.com...

I am sure there's more to learn, if you search.....

[edit on 24 July 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by theregonnakillme
I mean we have satellites that take incredible COLOUR images of earth from space so why would we send a rover to Mars and think it is more useful to have grey scale only?

Because seeing in colour is only useful for our brains, it does not give that much information about what is being photographed.

While in a digital colour camera the sensor is divided, usually, in groups of four pixels, with one sensitive to red, another for blue and two for green (this is base in our way of seeing colour), so the resolution of the sensor is reduced to 50% (a 1024x1024 sensor, like the ones on the Martian rovers, would become a 512x512 sensor).

That's one of the reasons they use an unfiltered sensor, applying the filters to all the pixels by using a filter disc.

That way they can get photos in different wavelengths, from infra-red (not thermal) to ultraviolet, and use that information to get better knowledge of what the camera is seeing than what we could get from a colour camera; a colour camera would give us colour photos that would represent three wavelengths, the two panoramic cameras on the rovers give us a maximum of 12 (if I not mistaken) different wavelengths.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join