It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clegg clarifies stance after saying Iraq war 'illegal'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Clegg clarifies stance after saying Iraq war 'illegal'

www.bbc.co.uk

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has had to clarify the government's position on the Iraq war after telling MPs the conflict had been "illegal".

"The deputy prime minister was expressing his long-held view about the legality of the Iraq conflict," he added.

It was up to ministers who were in power at the time "to account for their actions", he added. Mr Clegg was not an MP at the time of the war.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Yes it was, and still is, illegal.

We know it. and we are getting a bit tired of having to confirm all that we've discussed time and time again here on ATS.

This report comes just days after this;

The invasion of Iraq "substantially" increased the terrorist threat to the UK, the former head of MI5 has said.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As much as Clegg has stepped up to the mark, I am sure there is going to be some mud slinging over the next few weeks, but we should begin to see a lot more chilling facts (that we are mostly aware of anyway) coming out from the Chilcot investigation into the legallity of this so called war.

Those that were in power at the time MUST be held accountable. I just hope that any of those charged will spill the beans about all the dodgy back door ops that went on in order to get what was wanted.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

you know we had all the hype this colition would mean that Nick clegg would balance out the tories and kind of even things out,

mans done jack all

scrap ID cards, great

what we get in Return

the bloody americans getting access to our bank data
Tax increase
In scotland right to buy your council house
and more good news

hes our Obama i guess

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

He isn't able to do much, it's true, but I'm glad he's there. Something is better than nothing. Most of the time, he won't be able to get really good stuff into policy, but he will be able to put the brakes on some of the worst stuff the tories might try.

I think even though he'll probably have to back off a little on this statement about the war, it's good that he gets it out there at all, to remind people of it.

You say about the tax increases, which is kind of true, but they did get their policy made firm on having no tax on the first £10,000. The tories love tax breaks for the rich normally, so I think it's good the lib dems got some tax breaks for the poor, most of the tax raises are on the upper end.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

I'm sure you mean certain "American corporations" rather than Americans in general.. I hope so other wise you're gonna upset quite a few ATS members

We also got a credit checking agency (Experian) being used as a method to ID us when we apply to certain things.
Some of those things include getting a job or, to make matters even more unbearable, by HM customs and taxes.

I applied the other day for some application forms for tax purposes only to be told my identity could not be verified by using their methods, which turned out to be a credit check through experian.

What the heck are they doing using them? It was the HMRC that supplied me with my identity in the first place (NI number).. daft I call it,

So this is just a small part of what this illegal war has created for us and it is a really sad state of affairs. We have to break out of it or many people are going to be finding it really difficult to do anything.

It may very well be companies like experian who are partly involved in getting the government to give the go ahead for war in the first place so we might find that this info could be dug up..I sure hope so.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

the Tax break is all good and dandy
but with VAT and Tax increases it kind of defeats the point

reply to post by Extralien

its not just american companies but american security officials aswell.

its funny how we have to pay experion just to see our credit report
and how if we are declined by companies we are told, go to Experion.
they get the data from HM and so on and we have to pay just to view it.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I dont think it matters who was running the country at the time.
Cameron and Clegg know we are in two illegal wars. They are running the country so they should pull our troops out, otherwise, they are just as guilty.
Saying that. Lets be honest, the same people are pulling theirs and Obama`s strings!
Look at the Apartheid that`s going on in Palestine and there`s not one of the governments in the western world got the balls to stand up and say it`s wrong.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
i am happy he is there keeping his beady eye on the tories. i wouldnt be suprised if there was a re-election in a couple of years because the whole conservative demacatical party is total wank.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Nick Clegg was tonight forced to clarify his position on the Iraq war after he stood up at the dispatch box of the House of Commons and pronounced the invasion illegal.

Link

Then, the dog and pony show begins!

‘Clegg backtracks after declaring Iraq war illegal’

Link

‘What appeared to have escaped the Deputy Prime Minister in the heat of the moment was that most senior Conservatives also voted for the war, including the Chancellor George Osborne and Foreign Secretary William Hague, who were sitting alongside Mr Clegg as he spoke, and Mr Cameron, who was in Washington.’

Clegg then had (to appear) to backtrack over the comment, which was seemingly soaked up by the press. David Cameron, at around the same time frame, tells the press in the US that UK troops could start leaving Afghanistan next year.
Link

He also seemingly forgot that he was speaking in Parliament as the acting head of government, and that his words could be interpreted as an official admission by the UK that the military action undertaken seven years ago was illegal. As the implications of his remarks sank in, Mr Clegg's office hurriedly issued a statement insisting that he was speaking personally, not expressing an official view.

Link

Note: Nothing has escaped Clegg, or the Government.

Now, what is interesting, and what the MSN have not picked up on is that George Osborne (Chancellor) was mirroring what Clegg was saying as Clegg was saying it! Therefore, he must have known Clegg was going to say it when he did!

The non-verbal communication (in favour of Clegg’s speech) by the front two benches is surpassed only by Osborne’s mimicking of Clegg’s actual words.

Therefore, when Clegg is finishing: … ‘’to account for his role in the most disastrous decision of all, which is the illegal invasion of Iraq’’, the body language appears to posture towards inherent agreement of his statement coupled with Osborne’s mimicking of the words: ‘’illegal invasion of Iraq’’. He certainly nods his head with each word in an affirmative manner in doing do! (watch in large screen).

Osborne also points over to a shadow member and smiles as if to say, 'I told you we would sink you guys!' If this was a gaffe, why no suprise, why no supression of emotion as Harmen did when Brown said he ''saved the World''?

Link

This speech was not gaffe! It was a clear policy statement by the British Government that the war is not winnable, (translation = they have done what they came to do – strategic nation building), and it was left to the deputy to do the dirty work. He then has to backtrack and the Government states that it was his ‘personal opinion’. The laundry is out, hang the deputy for it! Now lets get on with business. The illigality of an entire war is personalised by the inexperienced deupty - just when Cameron is making his own gaffe on Britain's 'junior partner' comment in WW2.

Bless - these guys are inexperienced - the public must feel sorry for them, or be angry that they may be incompetent. = incompetence is coming to a cinema near you, so grab a seat!

This was a lesson in politics. Get the new boys to clean the mess up whilst blaming the old boys for it! Then get the population to pay for it!

Gaffe? Not likely.

Any thoughts?

top topics

join