It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First-of-Its-Kind Map Details the Height of the Globe's Forests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Using NASA satellite data, scientists have produced a first-of-its kind map that details the height of the world's forests. Although there are other local- and regional-scale forest canopy maps, the new map is the first that spans the entire globe based on one uniform method.

I think this is pretty cool, it's interesting to at least look around through a bit. I (didn't look, but) couldn't find a larger larger image.

SOURCE

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Shouldnt there be more forests around the world? Or am I just over reacting?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

Here you go...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5581dc079893.jpg[/atsimg]

And no ressie45 - you are NOT over reacting...we take so much for granite in regards to this planet.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Sad but true, IT almost brings me to tears.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It would be interesting to see that map from say 100 years ago just to see what we have destroyed.

I quess someone with the relevant knowledge could give a pretty good go at adding in the coverage if not the graduated canopy height.

Yeah makes you feel sad.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45
Shouldnt there be more forests around the world? Or am I just over reacting?

This is the sad state of reality. The worlds forests are gone and it will take 30-100 years to restore balance.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

That map shows the height of the trees, so it doesn't show areas with smaller vegetations, and that is large portion of the Earth.

Also, those small maps don't show the lighter colours as they should, this one is much better.

But yes, we have much less forests than some centuries ago.

Edit: and the map is not that accurate, I know that there are trees near me, but they don't show them.

[edit on 21/7/2010 by ArMaP]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Yup thousand years Latvia was more than 90% forests +swamps no only 50%... I am glad that our politics towards forests are positive. In last years we have seen increase in forest area.

Edited to conclude.

In county where I live agricultural land is 95%... it's pretty depressing to live between mono cultural fields... I love forests - when I'm in old grove forest I feel much more alive.

[edit on 21/7/2010 by archasama]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

That map shows the height of the trees, so it doesn't show areas with smaller vegetations, and that is large portion of the Earth.

Also, those small maps don't show the lighter colours as they should, this one is much better.

But yes, we have much less forests than some centuries ago.

Edit: and the map is not that accurate, I know that there are trees near me, but they don't show them.

[edit on 21/7/2010 by ArMaP]

Good find on the larger map. I feel it's accurate as far as my region. I live in northwest pennsylvania, and It shows the state is almost entirely woods, which is exactly what it should show.

However, I find it hard to believe that not even a tiny patch of forest exists in the id west. It can't be that barren.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
But still, the idea of man destroying his home planet depresses the hell out of me. What are we going to do in say one hundred years? It can only get worse.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I live in Oregon and spend most of my time in the forests...now Im from Ohio and am well acquainted with the history of the region. To put this forest size question into perspective Daniel Boone, or Simon Kenton once said "a squirel could travel by tree fromThe Smokey Mountains to the Mississippi without ever touching the ground."

We are much akin to Locusts in my oppinion

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
We aren't that close to locusts yet!

At least where I live the forests are growing. Our government has made sustainable developement mandatory. You take a tree, you plant a tree. And not just any tree, the same kind you just removed.

It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Edited to add: Map has serious flaws and missed areas in it. Any chance they pieced this thing together from less than 100% coverage?

[edit on 21-7-2010 by peck420]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Very disturbing to see indeed. WOW, how is air even being made? Very informative map....
2nd

[edit on 7/21/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well, I believe the number is 90% of our oxygen is produced by green algeas etc.. in the oceans. Sure Trees convert Co2 into oxygen too, but 90% is ocean derived.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

I agree that the programs you speak of are helpful. I do not discount the many people who stand up for preservation today, however the utter destruction born by the forests of these United States from the 17th century until we got a smidgen of common sense with Teddy Roosevelt in the early 20 century...is beyond imaginable.

The damage has been done long before our more enlightened late 20th century came to pass. Also, those planting programs you speak of are not as efficient as one may think. Re-planting trees that take 20-100 years to reach the size they were before presents a ridiculous degree of potential erosion, loss of habitat, totally changing ecology for years, for animals, insects and even other tiered plants that depend on older growth going through decay and renewal naturally.

There is a delicate system that our world follows, forest fires are a good thing, they begin a cycle of creation that is far bigger and more subtle than any human can percieve. We are still a very immature species in regards our connection with nature. I mean really we cant even see our way to get along with each other...what makes you believe we understand Mother Nature?

new topics

top topics

join