It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flying Jellyfish?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
A few weeks ago during the middle of the day I was sitting outside in my back yard when I saw this white ring that looked sort of like a jellyfish hovering about 2-3 feet above me. I tried to stick my hand up and touch it and it started ascending moving away from me. It looked and moved like a jelly fish but it was ony about a centimeter in diameter and it was white. Though I could only make out with my eyes the ring shape it seemed to have somewhat of a body like a jellyfish, though it was somewhat transperant looking.

I considered that it might be a piece of cotton or pollen, however this had a very jellyfish like qualities and form it seemed to be able to move like it was swimming, or navigate freely, not just blowing around in the wind.

Just looking for opinions, please go easy on me has anyone else ever seen something like this?

Edit to add: It sort of looked like those things in Avatar, only smaller and not the same shape.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by thehoneycomb]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I went and found this photo.

entertainment.webshots.com...

It doesn't look exactly like what I saw, mine was more transperant looking I could only make out the ring shape and tentacles.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
i dont know if you have ever seen the film Avatar but there are small flying jellyfish things in it. is this a more accurate representation of what you are trying to describe?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I've never heard of or seen anything like that. When I read the title it reminded me of something like flying fish, which I have seen, the type of motion you're describing is completely different.

Cool photo... it kinda reminds me of a casper-like cartoon ghost hehe

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

A strange report of a flying glowing jellyfish dancing through the sky around midnight has been reported to the Mutual UFO Network's site on Sunday as a man and his family watched it. The strange object is quite an unusual encounter indeed, but there is some precedent to UFOs mimicking jellyfish as many have reported over the years. Still, this recent and bizarre encounter no doubt will have quite a lasting impression for the witnesses who observed it.

Similar but different!

www.unexplainable.net...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Different indeed.

But after more research I have concluded that they are called atmospheric jellyfish.

It is said that they live in the edge of our atmosphere. There was a rreported incident of a jet crash with passengers dead and suffering from burn marks.

The one I saw looked harmless and I tried to catch it, but it got away from me.

wikibin.org...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by toxicated5

Thats kinda what it reminded me of at the time. It was not easy to see, I just happened to look up at the right time, it was right above me, about the size of a dime, but lighter of course.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

I find this really interesting. I did a search but couldn't find anything but what I posted. Thanks for the info... 'Atmospheric Jellyfish'... I'm going to do some hunting.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Here are a few more terms you can search for.

Cryptid, flying jellyfish cryptid, atmospheric beast.

Heres a few more links I found on the subject.
www.newanimal.org...

Plane gets attacked by atmospheric Jellyfish animation, Secret Saturdays: The Swarm at the Edge of Space

secretsaturdays.wikia.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I have seen another one!!! It was not close enough for me to touch but it was close enough to watch. It was about ten feet above me. It was the same thing I described in my opening post again, but this time I had more time to observe it. The only part of it I could make out is the ring which seems to be more like the shape of a worm swirling around in circles. I watched it go for about 100 feet before I lost sight of it, I think it expands the higher it is. I think these things go entirely unnoticed and probably happen more than we think. You have to keep an eye on things that happen to be directly above you. That is how I spotted it both times. I am also pretty sure they are attracted to water and come closer to earth when there is alot of warmth and humidity.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Did you take pics of it now you had more time to look at it?
If you didn't try take some snapshots next time.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Freaky, but interesting. I would sh*t my pants if I saw something like that.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
It didn't really seem to me like a threat it was just something that happens maybe more than I realized it was as if I thought it and it happened but the funny thing about it was that it didn't seem threatening at all, but when I acknowledged that it was there it sort or squandered away. It seemed like it was there either because it was within close proximity to water or that it was observing me. I might actually be able to get it on camera always worth a try.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I saw one more, this time at night. This time I could see more of its features because it was at night. It appeared in between me and a tree that had a street light shining behind it. All I could see was a silhouette in front of the tree but as it moved out from in front of the tree I could no longer see it. It was about the size of a nickel and this time instead of seeing it from below I saw it from the side and it looked similar to the picture posted earlier. It had a round top and appendages reaching down like a jellyfish. Since it was dark outside it appeared a shade darker then the tree behind it, that was my backdrop. As it moved in front of the night sky it was no longer visible.

I believe that these things are completely transperant, but with at least a small amount of light you can detect them by reflecting light.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Okay, here's my deal.
I tried to search for some information about those "flying jellyfish" and found very little. I checked the link you provided about atmospheric jellyfish and finding presented there were rather old (latest was from 1958). Which makes me wonder that those creatures, if they were real, would be more elusive than Bigfoot (at least from time to time someone claims to see one).
In this case, we have only your claim. And you claim, you've seen three of those things. Now, I'm not gonna call you a liar, because you probably really saw something. But was it really the jellyfish? Three sightings in 2 weeks, now that doesn't seem like a rare creature at all.
I really hope you're not making this up and either you mistake something for jellyfish or you really saw flying jellyfish (the second one would make me much happier, because the idea of atmospheric creatures is awsome).
It would be nice to see a picture. Not only it would back up your story and make me die of amazemant, bu also if you cought one, you could have it classified and maybe named after you.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xiuhtecuhtli

From what I read, if I did catch one it would probably deteriorate within minutes. I did also read that they can change become more dense and less dense. If I had to guess they become extremely dense (small) when as they approach sea level, which is pretty close to where I am. I have gathered that the heat and humidity might be a contributing factor so I will try to bring my camera out and see if I can get anything.

I read that they live in they thrive in upper levels of our atmosphere. Mainly near the ocean.

I don't know if they have any eye sight, really I don't know much about jellyfish but I do think that they are aware if anyone is actually observing them. Maybe they can sense energy around them but after seeing these things they always seem to become alarmed and migrate elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Finally, I found someone who saw the same I did. In the year of 2006 in the state of Colorado, around 7:00pm, I went from Denver, CO to Grand Junction, CO. I was close to arrive to Vail (on the way you can see just pinetrees, mountains), and my mom was driving cuz we used to work for Fujifilm at their logistics. We were passing a curve, and driving a boxed truck. Suddenly, when we were passing the curve I saw a gray disc like 1 meter above us, and flying (moving like a jellyfish), and I told my mother: look at that nd let me know what you've saw (we couldnt stop because it was an I-70 and it was a curve, and besides, heck nooooooo!!!!!, so after we passed that thing (it took just a few seconds to pass it) and I said to my mom, what did u see??????? she was like: a JELLYFISHHHH, we were feeling the chills, and I said, yeah it moved like a jellyfish, I didn't notice the tentacles, I saw a gray disc (due that it was barely dark so we couldn't describe the real color), and that disc was actually breathing hard, I felt it and saw i like that, and it wasn't just me, every happened all of the sudden, we didnt want to stop because we didn't know what was that thing or if it was harmful, so this has happened to us and we both saw it, which actually wasn't an illusion, so I wanted to share it with you guys/girls, and I believe since then.

ps: it was as wide as the truck
edit on 25-10-2010 by armanjin because: ps:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
You know if these things did exist it might explain the ghost jelly they sometimes find near meteor showers....I know i seen a thread around here on it.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by armanjin

That was sort of like my first encounter. It was not like a disc, more like a twirling piece of silk. That was the only distinct pattern that I could make out. It was only maybe a half inch or so around.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
There are Jellyfish species that feed off of Sun light. This has been known for over a decade. it's always been said that Jellyfish evolve faster then any other organism.

Most of the comment's here allows me to judge the fact that no body knows how to read anymore.

edit on 30-4-2011 by ResearchMan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join