It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From Seedlings to Servings: 11-Year-Old Grows Tons of Veggies for the Homeless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

From Seedlings to Servings: 11-Year-Old Grows Tons of Veggies for the Homeless

www.tonic.com

It all began in third grade, when Katie Stagliano's 40-pound cabbage fed 275 homeless people. Now, Katie's six gardens have produced over 4,000 pounds of vegetables to feed the needy.

When Katie Stagliano was in third grade, she planted a cabbage in her family's small garden. When it grew to an astounding 40 pounds, she donated it to a soup kitchen, where it was made into meals for 275 people (with the help of ham and rice). "I thought, 'Wow, with that one cabbage I helped feed that many people?'" says Katie, now entering sixth grade. "I could do much more than that."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
My cynical nature sees Monsanto lawyers figuring out how to ruin this child's parents and forcing her into the system. Or that the government will label her a terrorist.

My hope is that this child is the example of how humanity can server each other.

There is something wonderful when you see how easy it can be to improve all those around you. A seed, some water and a bit of attention here and there will grow enough for quite a few people.

Bravo to this young lady.

Peace

www.tonic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Great story.

Realistically, most parents would think their kid is crazy and needs some re-education on why you should never help "homeless bums". Usual response from others is mockery or downright aggression, as if you're illegally taking their own foods from em. Even I (a working-my-ass-off adult) get most ridiculous "cons" arguments when helping someone... at that point you realize how absolutely mad have people become. In fact, I always do my absolute best to hide what I do, but your closest ones find out sooner or later and you got to deal with the terrible negativity.

Alas, I am very glad that this girl is supported by her parents, who are really actual owners of those veggies anyway

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

My cynical self saw some Monsanto agenda behind that monstrous cabbage, I was expecting a part that says "thanks to Monsanto technology, Katie's cabbage changed the world"

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Proof positive that one person can make a difference. More stories like this please.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

I agree. Most parents would say "Don't talk to bums, they don't count".

I can only assume this girl grew this cabbage under the guise of a farmville experiment and their parents appreciated the free time to tweet and watch housewives of whatever

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Don't all be so negative about today's kids, parents, and society in general. Why assume that this girl is an exception?
I'm pretty sure young kids are mostly benevolent, and would help if they were given the means. For all we know, this kid might have been brought up by one of us!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Breizhoo

You do make a good point. I think generalization is a huge problem in modern society.

A lot of us like to group everything in the appropriate classification.

Almost like OCD.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I give the kid props..doing what she believes in.
Let her stand up and preach to the government about having a sense of HEART when you deal with people.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

just goes to show how un corrupted the youth are,
unlike adults , fueld by gread and self persivation.

its a shame when we/most of us grow older we lose that which we have when we are young

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

I know that is right.

Kids need to be be commended. Perhpas we make them presdient and have 18 as the mandatory political retirement age

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Is it possible to change the law so someone can become President at 11 years old?

I would vote for her above any of the present losers any day.

What a wonderful kid - kids actually, because she seems to have lots helping too.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

My thoughts exactly!

new topics

top topics

join