It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do We Do This.... It’s so Sick?!?! ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
Unless you were present its really not for you to comment unless you just want to use it as a excuse to discredit my otherwise very valid point. And yes i did look myself.

What? Not for me to comment, just for you to post on a forum. I see.
Your otherwise 'very valid point' is a hokey hypocritical slight. You looked, the same as everybody on the highway did, just like you would look at a red sweater in a crowd or an airplane in the sky. It's a basic instinct, the morbidity of the crash is circumstantial, if there had been a bright yellow bannana man in the road, people would have looked at it as well.
Your twisted sense of humor that finds amusement in hoaxing this forum is a different story however and worthy of admonishment frankly.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

Yeah part of the point i am trying to make is that we all do this everybody looks at others suffering.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

And everybody would look at a bright yellow banana man too. If a naked woman had stood there in the road and held traffic up, people would have looked. If you see a turtle in the road, you look at it.
I understand what you're trying to say, Friedrich Nietzsche already told us man was inherently evil, but your point is completely underscored by your cynical and degrading outlook on the entire species no less. Why do we think about purple elephants when somebody says that? Does this mean we're all hell bent on purple elephants, or was that just what was there at the time? Hell man, I've seen traffic held up by a big name band that decided to play in a parking lot adjoining US HWY 19-23 here one time. Those evil people.

You want to demonize this or go after this sort of thing, hell start with Lions Gate Films or Donald Rumsfeld rather than fellow passengers on a bus, and like I said, falsely claiming that a dirty bomb went off in a DC subway for your kicks doesn't exactly elevate you above this behavior.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I don't think it was in part to ENJOY watching others suffer. If we didn't look THEN you could consider us animals. Think about it. Imagine another human being gets shot and we call 911 and just pass them by like nothing ever happened, like we were at some drunk party. That's just barbaric.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

I think the main people rubberneck at acccidents is because to drive through at normal velocity would appear to others and their own subconscious to look callous or uncaring. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

It was because us humans love nothing more than watching others suffer in very strange way.
[edit on 21-7-2010 by kevinunknown]

I highly recommend intensive therapy, some deep soul searching or another form of reality to embrace because you OP, are pretty disturbed.

I'll give you this much, some people are a little more empathetic than others but no one I know likes to see others suffer.

People are curious. That's why people rubberneck when passing an accident. Sometimes I look to see if I can help, not embrace in the suffering, you pinhead!

And nothing for nothing, your entire post reeked of attitude! I detected quite a bit of bitterness so I believe your observation (hence, twisted opinion) is nothing more than a reflection of your soul!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I bet they are all secretly gagging to get home and tell their friends about it.

You mean like you just did?

BTW, chat is subject to the same T and C that the rest of the site is. Just for future reference ya know.

1). Posting: You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate. You will not solicit personal information from any member. You will not use information gathered form this website to harass, abuse or harm other people.

I would make that your last social experiment. Mods may not have been present, but we have access.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Right I don’t know what this says about us humans but it’s pretty sick and if you say you don’t do it then you’re a liar.

With respect please speak for yourself as you do not know me and for the record I have seen a man get hit by a car so hard he tore open the hood like paper as he tumbled through the air high above this car to land onto concrete slabs at the side of the road (pavement).

I was behind this car when it happened and it looked very bad and I was sure this guy was either injured or dying. The first thing I and an old man from another car did was to pull over and help this guy and the distraught and extremely apologetic driver of the car that had injured this man.

I was meant to be somewhere but not only did I do my bit by stopping but I turned around and drove the guy to the hospital so he could get checked over. Occasionally I see him around and he always smiles and waves and I make a tumbling motion with my arms and he always gets it and grins.

I have seen other bits of carnage on the roads too and aye I might slow down but not so I can get my ‘jollies’ but so I can see if anyone is helping and also to assess if I can be of use of if I might get in the way.

I knew a man years ago who shot himself through the head with an SA80 because his wife was sleeping with someone I knew. I not only crouched beside his body but me as an atheist even said a short prayer form him not because I believed in a god but because he did.

We are not all blood thirsty voyeurs my friend and I am no liar!

[edit on 22-7-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Its human nature my friend, we all do it, why?, because we want and sometimes need to justify our mortality. "It could have been me" , "you never know whats round the corner" Its the butterfly effect and sometimes these events like this force ourselves to take a good hard look in the mirror and realise that we are only here for a short time so make the most of it.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I don't do it as much, because I'm usually in a hurry when I'm driving, but I do like to see what;s going on.

My reason, is that I want to see the Truth. Death and gore is everywhere and people dont normally get to see it.

My curious brain wants to see what it looks like to get decapitated or shot. It doesnt excite me, but I do feel like I get to see the world for what it really is, which is catastrophic.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I was walking at the Mall of America maybe 3 months ago and a guy had jumped/fell from the 4th floor of the rotunda about 30 minutes before I arrived. I saw something similar with how people reacted looking at the area of blood on the floor. I was looking at the scene but I felt like there could be something learned, which is maybe why people do it, to either consciously of unconsciously to gain some sort of understanding. Even in an evolutionary sense, understanding danger would help someone to survive.

The weird thing though was that no one really found it that sad. I only saw one other person that was even slightly teary eyed. From what we knew it was a suicide and being that close to it, I don't know how it couldn't affect people in some way. There was a group of girls that while recording the pool of blood on the floor with their phones were giggling.

The juxtaposition of the rampant, mindless consumerism that exists in the mall, and elsewhere, with the reality of the person's possible suicide created a rather stark contrast. And the whole "Oh don't look over here, keep shopping!!" seemed like it represented a greater problem in the world. Truth or fantasy?

In any case, a few days later on the news it said that that Summer the guy who jumped, his twin brothers, 16, were both killed in an ATV accident. Then around October, the 20 year old was charged with having sex with a 16 year old even though it was consentual. He was running from a court date in New York.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Having been involved in a pileup on the highway during 'cottage country' traffic, I don't hold a grudge over those who slowed down to look at the wreckage. I remember seeing a woman's shocked face in a passing car while 2 army soldiers travelling the same way pulled me out of our flipped car.

Thankfully no one was seriously injured in our 5 car/truck pileup and I don't think anyone meant any ill-will, but you can't help but look.

I suppose its along the same lines of someone on a busy street just stopping and looking up, everyone who passes by them will do the same.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
@OP:

Sorry, chub. I don't do that. I look at messed up cars and check out accidents, but the second I see someone seriously wounded, I look away. I saw enough gore in my college textbooks to know that seeing gore in the real world is a disturbing thing. I avoid nightmares when possible.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I'm going to have to quote tool for this.

Eye on the TV
'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor it happens to be
Cause I need to watch things die from a distance
Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies
You all need it too - don't lie.

Why can't we just admit it?

I need to watch things die from a good safe distance
You all feel the same so why can't we just admit it?

Much better you than I

Tool- Vicarious

GummB

[edit on 22-7-2010 by GummB]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
edit

--

--double post

[edit on 22-7-2010 by GummB]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
But seriously I don't know why but people are drawn to tragedy. Both in the media and every day life.

The only conversation most people find interesting enough to keep up is usually about something tragic. When we hear bad news we have to tell everyone, just to see how much we can shock them maybe.
It is sick, but its human.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Yeah , it is commonly called a "gaper's block" and from what I know it is just people being curious. Kinda like how everyone cares about Lindsay Lohan going to jail. I don't get it either.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Death used to be a big part of life. now we have confined it to a neat sterile package. The average human does not see death as much as one did in the days of history. When a family memeber died, they were "laid out " in the house for friends family mourners to come see. In small communities everyone would visit. Death was very real. Now we keep it at bay.
I think we look because we do not understand. It scares us, and some deal with fear by laughing. It is another sign of our disassociation in our socity.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
I always look. It's not sick, it's information. I look to see if Mercy Flight is on the scene. I look to see how bad it is. I look to see the damage to see if I can figure out what happened. And I say a little prayer afterward that those who were injured will have a quick recovery and a prayer of comfort for the family members of those who didn't survive.

I think a lot of people look just so they can givea quick thanks that they were not involved. It's human nature to look and it serves to remind us how fragile life really is.

i wish you would just look forward and drive.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

HAHA agreed, help seep up my journey home.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join