It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do We Do This.... It’s so Sick?!?! ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I can only say this is merely speculation to what was going through people's minds as they past the accident to think they were "sick"

is concern sick?

Is curiosity sick?

what if they recognized the car?

maybe kids get excited, because they don't know the severity of things - but most people I would simply just say are curious.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
I tried it out recently on the ATS chat i told everybody a dirty bomb had just been detonated in the DC metro system. The disappointment when i confessed i was lying was truly heart breaking.

That's a pretty serious violation of the TOS here at ATS, not to mention disgusting and arguably illegal. I hope your little experiement validated whatever preconceptions you had about other people, it tells this community alot about yourself as well.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by kevinunknown

I think you're wrong. Humans are naturally curious. It's obvious you looked. You're putting way to much on it. I'm think'in you
might have been the only one on the bus getting bent of shape.
Mods discard as insignificant.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by randyvs]

And that's why I have you as a friend. That's exactly what I was trying to say.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

In response to hhcore - if someone is driving then they should be paying attention to the road they are travelling on and not potentially causing further accidents.....

Whenever I see this I aways wait for the brakes of the car infront and then drop a gear because by the time the fool has started to look ahead then I have the acceleration to pass them whilst they still dordle (is that a word) about..... It's not as if we can do anything across the central reservation of a motorway and believe me I could being involved in the healthcare side of things...
PurpleDOG UK

Sorry chief - Can't say as I've ever rear ended anyone or been rear ended due to the media coined 'rubber knecking'..... Good for you though. Your self control enough to announce that you watch for brake lights and drop it a gear, should be common sense. When you are caught up in it, you don't have much choice.

Regards

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Eye on the TV
'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor it happens to be

Like:
"Killed by the husband" ...
"Drowned by the ocean" ...
"Shot by his own son" ...
"She used a poison in his tea,
Then (she) kissed him goodbye"
That's my kind of story
It's no fun til someone dies.

Don't look me at like I am a monster
Frown out your one face, but with the other (you)
Stare like a junkie into the TV
Stare like a zombie while the mother holds her child,
Watches him die,
Hands to the sky cryin "why, oh why?"

Cause I need to watch things die from a distance
Vicariously, I live while the whole world dies
You all need it too - don't lie.

Why can't we just admit it?
Why can't we just admit it?
We won't give pause until the blood is flowin'
Neither the brave nor bold
Nor brightest of stories told
We won't give pause until the blood is flowin'

I need to watch things die from a good safe distance
You all feel the same so why can't we just admit it?

Blood like rain fallin' down
Drum on grave and ground

Part vampire, part warrior,
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmittal.
Sing to the death rattle.

La, la, la, la, la, la, la-lie (x4)

Credulous at best
Your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men.
But pull your head on out (of) your hippie haze
And give a listen
Shouldn't have to say it all again

The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive
So it is, so it's always been ...

We all feed on tragedy.
It's like blood to a vampire.

Much better you than I.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Zaanny]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Animals look at each other. Get over it.

If you are walking down the street, and a squirrel is standing there...guess what they always do... STARE at you, then run some, then stare some more.

If you go up to a cow, they stare at you. If you are walking down the street and another person is walking by, guess what? THEY LOOK AT YOU

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

for what it's worth, i'm with you 100% on this one.

just sayin'

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Try being a first responder and see this site every other day.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by hillbilly4rent]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

lol You don't have to take my reply seriously.

I think people stare not because they like blood and gore (some people do, they probably had a very disturbing childhood) but I think people stare at the scene of a crash because that's the way we are, that's WHAT we are: curious, curious beings.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Rubbernecking [wiki]

From source link...

Rubbernecking describes the act of gawking at something of interest. It is often used to refer to drivers trying to view the carnage resulting from a traffic accident. The term refers to the craning of a person's neck in order to get a better view.[1]

Rubbernecking has also been described as a human trait that is associated with morbid curiosity.[2] It can be the cause of traffic jams (sometimes referred to as "Gaper's blocks"), as drivers slow down to see what happened in a crash. It is also a cause of accidents as drivers become distracted and change their rate of travel while other drivers are also distracted. Rubbernecking has also come to be used more generally to describe voyeuristic interest in someone else's "business" or difficulties.

Personal Disclosure: I notice that the OP'er was not immune to this so called sickness... I also note that trying to equate ATS members surfing the internet and especially the ATS for fun, education and entertainment whilst in a [relatively] safe environment WITH gawking at whatever and throwing ones own and everybody elses safety out the freaking window whilst being in charge of a motor vehical, is a serious case of attempted defamation of character! I for one would appreciate an apology retracting the "Tar'ing us all with the same brush!!!" type of comments made by kevinunknown.

Life is always engaging! But that doesn't automatically allow any of us to become illegally distracted within it at the cost of ones responsibilities... the passangers of the vehicals COULD legally afford to gawk... The drivers had OTHER responsibilities to legally fulfill!

ATS members, I note, are only driving their OWN agendas around ATS and we are all nicely covered by the ATS road rules AKA the T&C's!
Rubbernecking at moderated T&C violations will surely crash ones own agenda!

Please surf ATS safely OK!

Edited to add "moderated " to clarify. soz

Edited a "legally" into "illegally"..makes far more sense!

[edit on 21-7-2010 by OmegaLogos]

[edit on 21-7-2010 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The quickest way to make a long line of slow moving cars after a road accident move alot faster - book them !!!

I remember many years back after a serious car accident, drivers of passing traffic wanted to have a look at the victims and drove so slowly they almost stopped to have a look. The Police Officer grabbed the first driver out of his car and forced him over to the dead victims in the car and rammed his head in to the smashed car and the officer told him to take a good look at the dead (some in pieces) and asked him if he likes it. The officer later told him that could be him one day with his dead family and how would he like it when stared upon by passing traffic.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
99 out of 100 people do this.

I've been in vehicles where the driver is raging because traffic on our side is stopped because of an accident on the other side...just to watch (mildly
amused) as the raging driver finally gets to the accident to and takes HIS turn
rubbernecking.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Hey Kevin you know what I think is "sick"? Telling a group of people a bomb exploded just to gage their reactions. Did you stop and think someone may experience intense emotional distress over this news?

So let me get this straight, if someone slows down to look at an accident they are "sick" but a person who causes emotional distress and then observes the reactions is perfectly normal?

I noticed you attributed the motives of people slowing down and looking as voyeuristic sado masochists. I think most people slow down and look just out of curiosity and concern.

Perhaps you attribute the motives of others based on your motives?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I've read that the actual reason we humans gawp at these scenes is primarily to learn (even though people don't realise it's why they're doing it) how others deal with/cope/react to things

The article said we gawp at such scenes and the people IN those situations, as a way of assessing how WE would cope/deal with/react to, the same thing

So in other words, the staring at tragedy is said to be a form of 'survival technique/education'

Hope this helps a little to relieve you of your current and understandable disgust and anger

(of course, our animal curiosity, maudlin enjoyment of others' sufferings and tragedy also enters into it, imo. We're just animals, when it's all boiled down. We stare. Other's misfortunes .. for a moment .. have the effect of making us feel lucky and secure and safe, for a few minutes. You see the same sort of thing - basically a secret and guilty momentary-glee - in people when they learn friends are divorcing or have gone bankrupt or have lost a child. It often has the bystanders feeling, for once in their lives, 'fortunate' or 'smarter', etc. The old comparison thing )

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I used to look. I don't anymore. About ten years ago I was driving along and traffic had slowed because of an accident. They were pulling this guy out of a car and his whole torso just split in half. It was awful. I don't look anymore. Plus I've been in some bad accidents, I can feel for the people involved.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

I didn't really bother reading through your whole post, or any of the replies...this has probably been said, but I suspect it's natural for traffic to slow around an area where a crash has just taken place. Not only that, people do want to see what's going on, but they aren't necessarily looking at the "blood and guts", but what's actually happened. I bet 90% of the people felt a degree of sickness comparable to yourself...however, I do think you have some what of a point...children are exposed to a lot of blood, guts, gore and death on TV...to the point where seeing death in real life can often be more like a spectacle than a tragedy...

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
i go to bed when most of the Americans come onto ATS so sorry for not being able to reply. The main issue that seems to be annoying people is the story of me telling a few people on chat a bomb has gone off. All i said was something to the effect “did anybody hear about the dirty bomb that went off in the DC metro.” And then pretty much let it run for a couple of minutes, most people found it sort of funny. There was nobody going to call the mods in to have be banned, it was just a little social experiment on my part.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

i go to bed when most of the Americans come onto ATS so sorry for not being able to reply. The main issue that seems to be annoying people is the story of me telling a few people on chat a bomb has gone off. All i said was something to the effect “did anybody hear about the dirty bomb that went off in the DC metro.” And then pretty much let it run for a couple of minutes, most people found it sort of funny. There was nobody going to call the mods in to have be banned, it was just a little social experiment on my part.

You call telling a people here that a dirty bomb went off on the DC metro a funny little social experiment, then somehow manage to associate that with other people's sickness. Get real.

Meanwhile?

Like a spring loaded latch everybody’s head turns left to observe the carnage of a 3 car crash, it’s disgusting there is blood everywhere, some guy on the ground with a paramedic working on him and I think someone trapped in one of the cars.

Hope you didn't get a crick in your neck looking yourself.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

Unless you were present its really not for you to comment unless you just want to use it as a excuse to discredit my otherwise very valid point. And yes i did look myself.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Humans = war

Humans = we don't care about others

Humans = let's watch a crash

But humans also equal caring people.

Humans are an enigma.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join