It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merkava Mk4 vs. Abrams M1A2

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Please post only if you have something to back yourself up with.

Merkava Mk4

The 65t Merkava 4 main battle tank entered full production in 2001 and began operational training with the Israel Defence Force in July 2003. It will enter service in 2004. The Ministry of Defence plan to manufacture between 50 and 70 Merkava 4 tanks per year and up to 400 tanks may be manufactured, although budgetary constraints put these numbers in doubt. The Merkava 4 has been extensively improved including new armour protection and gun and electronics systems.

The Merkava 4 is slightly larger than the Merkava 3 Baz, which has been in service with the IDF since 1990. The Merkava 3 is offered for export by SIBAT based in Tel Aviv. The Merkava 4 is not offered for export but the systems and components are exported.

The tank is capable of carrying eight infantry soldiers, a Command Group or three litter patients (stretcher casualties) in addition to the tank crew of commander, loader, gunner and driver. The tank is capable of firing on the move at moving targets and has demonstrated high hit probability in firing against attack helicopters using conventional anti-tank munitions.

Major contractors include: the El Op Electro-Optic Industries subsidiary of Elbit Systems which is responsible for the fire control system; the Israel Defence Force which carries out main construction and system integration and testing; Israel Military Industries for the supply of the main gun, ballistic protection and munitions; Imco Industries for the electrical systems; Urdan Industries for the hull, main turret and castings; and IAI Ramta for protection components.

The main part of the tank production, the construction of the hull and integration of all the systems is carried out in the Israel Defence Force Workshop.

Rest of the article

M1A2

The M1A1/2 Abrams main battle tank is manufactured by General Dynamics Land Systems (GDLS). The first M1 tank was produced in 1978, the M1A1 in 1985 and the M1A2 in 1986. 3,273 M1 tanks were produced for the US Army. 4,796 M1A1 tanks were built for the US Army, 221 for the US Marines and 555 co-produced with Egypt. Egypt has ordered a further 200 M1A1 tanks with production to continue to 2005. 77 M1A2 tanks have been built for the US Army, 315 for Saudi Arabia and 218 for Kuwait. For the M1A2 Upgrade Program, over 600 M1 Abrams tanks are being upgraded to M1A2 configuration. Deliveries began in 1998.

In March 2004, the Australian Army announced the purchase of 59 US Army M1A1 tanks to enter service from 2007.

Rest of the article

Which one would be the winner.....?

Out,
Russian

[edit on 17-6-2004 by Russian]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Merkava Mk4

Russian

M1A2

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   
U.S M1 Tank was easily destoried in Iraq by Chinese 70s' anti-tank missile(HJ-8)exported to Iraq in 80s.

So...

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scorpion
Merkava Mk4

Russian

M1A2

Moron DONT EVER post on my threads again!!!

You cant read the?

Please post only if you have something to back yourself up with.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
why ? do I scare you Mr.Stupid freken Cowerd

I really like to laugh on a brain ass like you

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
M1A2, no doubt because it is made with USA quality and given a heart and soul

America loves everyone!

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by gastric cancer
U.S M1 Tank was easily destoried in Iraq by Chinese 70s' anti-tank missile(HJ-8)exported to Iraq in 80s.

So...

Actually the US only lost 4 tanks in desert storm so i dont kno wt ur talking bout back it up with some facts and no crew members were killed and the abrams destroyed 4.000+ T-72 some T-80 its even superior to the T-90 so whats better loosing 4 tanks or loosing 4.000+ and in desert storm the A1 were used not the more advanced A2 the merkava is no match for the M1A2 abrams here's the link read for yourself
M1A2 undisputed champion no other tank can match its kill ratio.
M1A2 Abrams

[edit on 17-6-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Can we have anyone else but these American bastard post here.

For example someone with an open mind?

So we can really discuss something and not just fart in the air?

Out,
Russian

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I like how the MK4 gets 4 1/2 paragraphs and the MIA2 only gets a paragraph and a blurb....

My dad was a tank driver in the Army, 1965-1968.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Hey Russian,
There are some wonderful brands of decaffinated coffee on the market.

The Merkava has never neen proven in full open combat. Just that destroy a refugee camp combat. It has never had a real chance.

so until then the M1A2 has to be the champ.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian
Can we have anyone else but these American bastard post here.

For example someone with an open mind?

So we can really discuss something and not just fart in the air?

Out,
Russian

do you want ALL opinions or only ones that match your own?

public board means you're going to have your own opinions judged and challenged. i would think you'd be use to this by now.

i dont think you want open discussion, you want discussion that reenforces your mindset and beliefs. which is ok but that doesnt work on a public board i'm afraid. just try to ignore them if you dont like it.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I'm sure the Isaelis are producing a fine weapon system, and their tanks with the additional capability to carry small platoon-sized numbers of troops should come in handy.

However, it has been my experience that the most successful weapon systems are those that started out as GOOD weapons systems when initially developed and deployed, and then became GREAT weapon systems after being battle-tested. After extensive combat, any weapon system can be given a second look, and problem areas can be re-designed or repaired.

That being said, the M1A2 seems to have a fair amount of "live fire" experience under it's belt, and I'm sure the USA and GD have come up with alot of extensive mods and upgrades over the years. The Israelis are no slouches either, and their tanks take a beating as well, but I would give the slight advantage to the M1.

E_T

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
The Israelis are no slouches either, and their tanks take a beating as well,

There's just that difference that Abrams has been "tested" against tanks.
Merkavas's opponent's have been terrorists with RPGs and bombs hidden under road or near it.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Merkava is better for infantry support and has this cool rear entrance. Abrams is faster, more agile and has better sensors. But I think this topics are useless. Leo, Abrams, Leclerc, Challenger, T-80, Merkava - it is almost the same. Some are better in something, some in something else, but generaly they are all good tanks.

So :
Abrams for tank VS tank combat.
Merkava for town combat and defense roles.
Russian tanks for fast long range offensive roles, without much logistic support.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

do you want ALL opinions or only ones that match your own?

public board means you're going to have your own opinions judged and challenged. i would think you'd be use to this by now.

i dont think you want open discussion, you want discussion that reenforces your mindset and beliefs. which is ok but that doesnt work on a public board i'm afraid. just try to ignore them if you dont like it.

Accutaly I made this topic about the M1A2 vs Merkava just so people will not say I am a racist only for Russian tech. I even think that Merkava is better then the new T-90 Russia has.

You look yourself at the mindless responds I got for the topic.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager
Hey Russian,

The Merkava has never neen proven in full open combat. Just that destroy a refugee camp combat. It has never had a real chance.

Please say what it the threat today?

A major war or stupid terrorist?

And what is Merkava good at?

Isnt thats why US asks tech from the "WAR" experianced Isreal and then upgrades their weapons?

Out,
Russian

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Let me show you what Israel has dont to old American pos they have bought for US.

M60A3

1000 where bought by Israel from US.

This is what Israel did to the tanks they got....

Israel with the "WAR" experiance they had has modified the M60A3 why over what it was.

War experiance technology and peace time technology has a VERY big differents.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian

Originally posted by crmanager
Hey Russian,

Please say what it the threat today?

A major war or stupid terrorist?

And what is Merkava good at?

Isnt thats why US asks tech from the "WAR" experianced Isreal and then upgrades their weapons?

Out,
Russian

Russian you tell other members to back up their coments with facts as stated in your topic. But here you go telling us that the US upgrades its weapons after askin israel for help
plz back it up with something otherwise dont eat your own words!

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Right with you Westpoint, Russian, post something useful. I like the American one because it is made with USA quality, Russian did you state why in all of your posts?

America loves everyone!

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Double posted by accident.

[edit on 17-6-2004 by Laxpla]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join