It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS News: Border Security, Part One: Sheriff Joe Arpaio

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
He states that everyone is welcome to come take a tour of his "Tent City"

Take a tour ATS and tell us what you discover.

I'll bet he would even grant you an audience.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Dirty conditions breeding bacteria and disease.
140+ temps causing dehydration.
Inadequate water to stay hydrated.
Inadequate food to stay nourished.

It's demoralizing, worse dehumanizing. It's completely in violation of international Human Rights. (Which we signed and agreed to)

Get to it ATS! And feel free to ask Arpaio an unapproved question he dislikes so he can accuse you of being a provocateur and end the interview.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by mryanbrown]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Let's have a little more balanced view of Sheriff Joe. When he came into the office years ago he was a little less high on his horse, yes he created Tent City and put out a huge billboard that said "NO Vacancy." Good move, no other municipality in the country had this idea to help with jail overpopulation. There were many media reports across the country of rampant overpopulation which would cost the taxpayers, unless judges let offenders out early and petty criminals served very short sentences. Many cities/states did this and were amazed at their increase of crime and recidivism rate. Sheriff Joe had many Maricopa County/Phoenix Metro area crime statistics go down for many, many years, and was mainly due to his support of the tents and the "three strikes and your out" type crime bill that got passed. He also made it harder on DUI offenders by supporting tougher legislation against drunk driving, along with regular DUI checkpoints during major holidays. He made a barley noteworthy Sheriff's Posse into a real program. It no longer just went on S&R missions, but were now patrolling malls during the holidays (even on horseback), anti-prostitution patrols and much more. He was the only sheriff in the country to tackle the rising crime rates within their jurisdiction, and have success. This is why people still vote for him no matter what, he's always at the forefront of crime suppression.

Now for the bad! He has always been very outspoken, so much so that he will say things that are on the edge of verbal assault while on camera. He will stage large spectacle media events, to promote his extremely big ego w/temper. He not only taunts his accusers, but seems to threaten them while on camera. Then he wonders why his own Attorney General, U.S Government, human rights organizations and others investigate his department.

Now for the real bad! Murder-Death-Kill, sound familiar? The previously listed deaths and prisoner neglect cases that have been listed earlier in this thread have been well documented in the media. Joe should of been taken down years ago, but he has a huge "blind" fan base (voters, politicians, civil authorities, police organizations). I watched an episode of A&E Investigative Reports about the death of Scott Noreberg in the late 90's, inside of the Maricopa County Jail. After watching it, you could only surmise that the Sheriff had the county corner doctor the autopsy report, because he knew he would of lost his job due to the death caused by his deputies inside of his jail. A&E said that after having the parents of the deceased bring a law suit forward, that he ordered a new autopsy to be performed. The results now showed that the most likely cause of death was asphyxiation, and that the body had thirty-some stun gun shock points and massive bruising in different locations. The end result: the case was dropped and the Sheriff/County settled out of court for multiple millions of dollars

I also knew someone for years that worked as a detention officer under Sheriff Joe, and I could tell you some other bad stories, but I think you get the point. He has manipulated people to think he is the Lone Ranger, but he really is Demolition Man's dictator - Dr. Cocteau.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I can tell you that sheriff Joe has a high approval rating, except among the illegal immigrants of course.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

On March 3, 2009, the United States Department of Justice "notified Arpaio of the investigation in a letter saying his enforcement methods may unfairly target Hispanics and Spanish-speaking people" [39] Arpaio denied any wrongdoing and stated that he welcomed the investigation, and would cooperate fully.[40] By May, 2009, Arpaio had hired a Washington D.C. lobbyist, who wrote to Obama administration officials suggesting that the decision to probe Arpaio had been driven by political rivalries and score settling.[41] In July, 2009,Arpaio publicly stated that he would not cooperate with the investigation.

In March 2009, the United States Department of Justice notified Arpaio of that they were investigating him for civil rights violations, in unfairly targeting Hispanics and Spanish-speaking people.[39] In October 2009, it was reported that the FBI was investigating Arpaio for using his position to settle political vendettas.[44] In January 2010, it was reported that the Department of Justice has impaneled a grand jury to investigate allegations of abuse of power by Arpaio.[45] In March 2010, it was reported that an investigation into Arpaio is "serious and ongoing", according to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder.

Family members of inmates who have died or been injured in jail custody have filed lawsuits against the sheriff’s office. Maricopa County has paid more than $43 million in settlement claims during Arpaio's tenure.

I dunno guys, he kinda seems like a douchebag to me. hope the interview works out well.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Its too bad that sheriff Joe does not have the same level of conviction for dealing with the fraud and corruption going on all around him, especially those who are facilitating the drug trade, for a substantial fee.

When duty calls, small time competition can and will be eliminated.

In my opinion., Of course.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Take a tour ATS and tell us what you discover.

We are indeed working on just that.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I too am a legal, white resident of Phoenix, Arizona, and I am proud to say I have voted Arpaio into office every time he comes up for re-election.
All I have to say is that you havent bolstered your rather long post with ANY facts or sources; simply your personal opinion. In fact, by line 60 of your post, you have provided nothing to back up your opinions...only fluff.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Barry Sortoro aka Obama is an illegal himself so why would he want to have them locked up..... he also is using other peoples Social Security numbers and I.D. cards....A few 100,00 of us ought to go up to Washington, District Of Criminals and throw his A$$ out.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
About ATS's Critique :

Well for one I am glad thats all you came up with because I agree with and support this Sheriff.. But..

ATS got it wrong.

I do not see Joe saying the president came up with the word "transparency" - Read the transcript.. Joe never says this. Joe is Not calling Obama a janitor.

Joe says, " Somebody in the White House - a janitor?"

Joe is saying it could have been anyone in the White House who came up with this phrase. We all know most of the time Obama's speeches are written for him.

No where does Joe say that Obama is a janitor. ATS is putting words into Joe's mouth. Therefore ATS actually has nothing bad to say about this video.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by john spartan

Now for the real bad! Murder-Death-Kill, sound familiar? The previously listed deaths and prisoner neglect cases that have been listed earlier in this thread have been well documented in the media. Joe should of been taken down years ago, but he has a huge "blind" fan base (voters, politicians, civil authorities, police organizations). I watched an episode of A&E Investigative Reports about the death of Scott Noreberg in the late 90's, inside of the Maricopa County Jail. After watching it, you could only surmise that the Sheriff had the county corner doctor the autopsy report, because he knew he would of lost his job due to the death caused by his deputies inside of his jail. A&E said that after having the parents of the deceased bring a law suit forward, that he ordered a new autopsy to be performed. The results now showed that the most likely cause of death was asphyxiation, and that the body had thirty-some stun gun shock points and massive bruising in different locations. The end result: the case was dropped and the Sheriff/County settled out of court for multiple millions of dollars

Sheriffs are not responsible for the independent actions of their deputies or those of the jail guards.

Now if you had proof that Joe ordered or took place in a murder, that would be different.. but you do not so stop trying to paint this sheriff in a bad light with unfounded allegations.

These types of deaths happen in every jail all over the country. Basic human rights violations yes are illegal and are wrong but guards have to put up with very dangerous people and a lot of them on a daily basis. Many times the guards have to be forceful to protect themselves and deaths do occur because of this. That does not mean every time a prisoner dies at a guards hands it is murder.

Let me ask you something.. if you were a prison guard and your life was in danger by a convicted murderer/child rapist etc, and you had to fight back, how can you be so sure you will not be able to hold your legal defensive attacks in check so to the point where your murderous attacker won't be killed? In the heat of battle with such scum I submit to you that is very hard to do. many times if you let the guy live things will be worse for you because now the guy has a chance to organize a group retaliation. This is what scum bags in prison do.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Too bad more law enforcement don't follow his example.......he doesn't take crap from anyone! I am so tired of seeing criminals coddled.....

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest

Yes that is all he is trying to do. Enforce the law. If all you are trying to do is drive to work and you run over five old ladies in the process on purpose because they were in the way and you have things to do, you are the scum of the Earth even though you are technically just doing your job. Likewise, when Arpaio kidnaps and possibly tortures his political opponents as part of his job that makes him the scum of the Earth. Kidnapping and torture are illegal, so yes, what he is doing is illegal.

The last time I checked, driving to work was legal, and running over old ladies is illegal.

Do you understand the difference there?

As for your disturbing rant about Arpaio "possibly kidnapping and torturing people" I have no idea where that is coming from - it's just rabid.

To make this simple for you - if you think that ANYTHING that Arpaio has done is illegal, bring suit against him.

Better minds than yours have been trying for years to find a reason to oust him from office for legal breaches, and they have failed, because he is not breaking any laws, he is upholding them.

He also happens to be extremely popular with the local populace, who continually elect him to office, and wil continue to do so for many more years.

He is in short, a hard working, law abiding servant of the people, the American people that is.

In my experience, the people who support Joe are the type of people you want as neighbors, the people who oppose him are more likely to be one of his many customers.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
PHOENIX - Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has opened a new section of Tent City in time for its 17th anniversary.

The new section is called Section 1070 to house violators of the new illegal immigration law, SB 1070.

www.abc15.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mryanbrown

I'm likening him based upon his means. not his motivations. And if you can honestly claim his methods are not similar to Hitler's. Well then we can discuss this back in reality.

Quite honestly, comparing him with Hitler is asinine and somewhat juvenile, it just isn't the language of intelligent debate - it's the literary equivalent of chewing with your mouth open.

You also need to be more specific with your sweeping generalizations.  Give me some facts, some statistics, some links - something and not just vacuous slurs.

Arpaio's methods of law enforcement include:

1. Reduced operating costs of the county's jails and improved employee benefits for his staff.

2. Put prisoner's back to work - we actually had them working alongside us volunteers who were helping pack food boxes at St.Marys Food Bank - yes I live in Maricopa too.

3. Training prisoners in vocations - the Maricopa Jails dog rescue program is now recognized as one of the best in the country, with many prisoners qualified to work in that field following their release.

What methods EXACTLY are the ones that are akin to Hitler, and please be careful to point out those created by Arpaio, not those required by Federal Law including the requirement for legallly resident aliens to carry their residency paperwork at all times.  Even the workplace sweeps are only carried out based on the confirmed presence of violators - that's why they never come up blank.

But hey what do I know? I was only born and raised IN Maricopa county my entire life. I've watched him progress politically. I watch and read his interviews. I watch and read the opposition.

I live in Maricopa as well, and your opinions are out of step with the majority of the rest of us, with 57% of Arizonans believing that Sheriff Joe actually improves the national image of our state:

www.rasmussenreports.com... ortant_reform_goal

He has improved the quality of life for law abiding citizens, and made it a damned sight worse for criminals of any flavor, all while reducing the costs for us, the taxpayers.

Your attempt to slander him with neo-nazi ties, an increasingly desperate tactic by those who are upset by his success, is as lame as it is predictable.  In his 77 years he has never been a member of any neo-nazi organization, but the leftist loons always operate on the basis that if you throw enough mud, some will stick.

Personally, I know of at least one person who was carjacked at gunpoint by an illegal (whom he did manage to shoot and kill fortunately), and we personally have had 2 more jump our back wall and attempt to gain entry to the house - my wife was home alone at the time, and was again saved by the presence of firearms.  A workmate was also killed by a drunk driving illegal, and a second was seriously injured in a hit and run accident with the illegal being caught (by the Maricopa Sheriff's Department no less)shortly thereafter.

With SB 1070 flushing out the illegals from one direction, and Arpaio's rigid enforcement squeezing them from the other, we are seeing the mass exodus of the illegal alien population that we had all hoped for.  Just watch the crime rate come down a year from now.

Either you're on the side of law and order, or you want to turn Maricopa into an anarchic, crime infested hell-hole.

If my choice is Joe or anarchy, I choose Joe.

Consider yourself rebutted.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

Originally posted by mryanbrown

I'm likening him based upon his means. not his motivations. And if you can honestly claim his methods are not similar to Hitler's. Well then we can discuss this back in reality.

Quite honestly, comparing him with Hitler is asinine and somewhat juvenile, it just isn't the language of intelligent debate - it's the literary equivalent of chewing with your mouth open.

I really don't care. His methods are near identical. So the fact you can't agree with that, shows you're a fan of him and as such would refuse to listen to anything in opposition against him.

Google it if you don't believe me. I really don't care to entertain facts and figures on this one. Lived here my whole life, I know what he's done.

If you refuse to look into it yourself because you don't want to believe it, that's your fault.

1. Reduced operating costs of the county's jails and improved employee benefits for his staff.

2. Put prisoner's back to work - we actually had them working alongside us volunteers who were helping pack food boxes at St.Marys Food Bank - yes I live in Maricopa too.

1. By violating international human rights laws.
2. See #1, specifically slave labor and how it's UNCONSTITUTIONAL EVEN IF THEY'RE PRISONERS

SO yes, violating international laws, and the state and us constitutions is following the law...
isn't it.

C'mon you like him because he enforces the law right?

Explain human rights violations and blatant constitutional violations to excuse away "upholding the law".

Now you'll see why I don't care what people like you have to say. You've done exactly what you've accused me off.

I see no facts or figures, anyone else see them?

Nope just someone who likes Arpaio because of one particular issue, ignoring the more serious ones.

kthx for playing.

I live in Maricopa as well, and your opinions are out of step with the majority of the rest of us, with 57% of Arizonans

Read my signature, if you understand it at all. You would agree if you're interested in upholding the law. Rather than using it to enforce things you don't like.

And I agree, non-citizens are required and should carry identification.

The obvious issue is the one you deliberately ignored. Targeting CITIZENS and requiring them to show proof of identification without charge or warrant.

(breaking the law)

[edit on 22-7-2010 by mryanbrown]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I seen something tonight that really gave me a good laugh...

I was driving from Los Angeles east on interstate 40, near the Arizona border when a car passing on my left got in front of me and the entire back window was covered in white painted words: Illegal Canadian Pull Me Over

Maybe you should alert sheriff Joe so he can be ready?

White Toyota, California tags. Just look at the back window.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Sheriffs are not responsible for the independent actions of their deputies or those of the jail guards.

Now if you had proof that Joe ordered or took place in a murder, that would be different.. but you do not so stop trying to paint this sheriff in a bad light with unfounded allegations.

These types of deaths happen in every jail all over the country. Basic human rights violations yes are illegal and are wrong but guards have to put up with very dangerous people and a lot of them on a daily basis. Many times the guards have to be forceful to protect themselves and deaths do occur because of this. That does not mean every time a prisoner dies at a guards hands it is murder.

Let me ask you something.. if you were a prison guard and your life was in danger by a convicted murderer/child rapist etc, and you had to fight back, how can you be so sure you will not be able to hold your legal defensive attacks in check so to the point where your murderous attacker won't be killed? In the heat of battle with such scum I submit to you that is very hard to do. many times if you let the guy live things will be worse for you because now the guy has a chance to organize a group retaliation. This is what scum bags in prison do.

I would like to ask you JohnPhoenix if you know who the previous Maricopa County Sheriff was, a why he was thrown out of office? When you do, let me know! I'll give you a hint, his deputies botched a high profile criminal investigation.

I have met both MCSO Sheriffs' on professional business (no, not in jail) and can tell you Joe is not half the man the previous LEO was. Yes, the former screwed up with an investigation, by not seeing it through completely, but he had integrity and honor that you could see right away. Joe gets the job, done but at what cost? Have you ever had a bad school teacher that made fun of you in class, or put failing grades on your papers because they disliked you, while getting rave reviews from the school faculty? That's Sheriff Joe (the nice bully)!

I cannot tell you of my previous law enforcement experience, but I can tell you I have been around and have seen or had first-hand information about not only police/political corruption, but incredible cop/citizen stories of courage that go above and beyond the call of duty. Find a cop that worked in Chicago in the 60's and 70's and I'm sure he can tell you a lot about LEO/City Gov. corruption (look-the-other way, pay-offs, vote Dem or you loose job or pension). JohnPhoenix have you ever heard of Serpico? Look it up! In addition to this cop scandal; two more police departments were totally gutted, for some new good guys in NY and Fl in the 80's. I'm not bashing cops, I'm asking anyone whose reading this to not just see a cops character by the shine that come off their badge, but what's past it, under the uniform - their intentions/heart. "Action is louder than words." There have been a few Sheriffs'/chiefs' in the last few decades that have lost their jobs for tampering with autopsy results, some covered by the media and some not.

Our current society is now controlled by the Progressives/NWO leaders. America, there is more corruption coming to a local government near you very soon. As for all the uncorrupted LEO's, Firefighters, and servicemen and women of this country, I salute you, and ask you to stand with all us other Oath Keepers.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Well, that would constitute probable cause, but as I understand the law, the car would have to be stopped for another violation, which might be an obstructed rear window.

Whatever, it's not a very smart thing to do in Maricopa County.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Well, that would constitute probable cause, but as I understand the law, the car would have to be stopped for another violation, which might be an obstructed rear window.

Whatever, it's not a very smart thing to do in Maricopa County.

This is a highly misunderstood subject in law. And is often used against citizens out of the disinformation spread around it's use.

U.S. Constitution - 4th Amendment

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Short story. Innocent until proven guilty. If a crime is not witnessed, evidence must be gathered and a warrant issued to search or sieze a person or their private property.

(This is bypassed under motor-vehicle code through adhesion contracts surrendering your right to travel in favor of the privilege of having a license. Thus they may search or seize your vehicle with "probable cause" despite a warrant because you violated a statute of that contract. You agreed to it)

For instance in Arizona, there is no mention of "probable cause" in the Constitution.

It does say however,

" 4. Due process of law

Section 4. No person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law."

Short story, the police can't simply hold you upon probable cause unless they witnessed an actual crime (doing harm or causing loss) or someone signs a police statement (affirmation) that they witnessed the crime. Nor can they take any of your property without warrant unless it's evidence in plain view.

(And yes Arizona is in fact common law)

Which means, people who do not have driver's licenses are not bound to motor vehicle statutes.

And people will argue that motor vehicle code is the law! Well you're wrong, and you'll argue it by excusing the need for safety and the like.

The simple reality is, you can't place restrictions on peoples liberty when it does not interfere with someone else.

Until someone actually causes an accident, they are free to drive as they wish.

(U.S. Supreme court has upheld that drivers licenses are not required to operate an automobile)

(And the actual federal definition of "motor vehicle" is a "motorized vehicle" and the definition of "vehicle" is "motorized automobile used FOR commercial purposes". So really a "Motor Vehicle" is, a motor motorized automobile used for business)

When you can begin to grasp those simple premises of law, you begin to see that the further the current law is upheld. The further real law dwindles.

Because legal is not lawful.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by mryanbrown]

[edit on 23-7-2010 by mryanbrown]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join