It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS News: Border Security, Part One: Sheriff Joe Arpaio

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
ATS News visited the Fountain Hills, AZ meeting of the T.E.A. Party on July 16, 2010, covering the topic of Border Security. Several area politicians and a besieged rancher spoke on their issues, experiences, and strategies as it relates to the complex, emotional, and highly-charged issue of immigration and border security. In part one, we provide the address of controversial Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, covering his experiences, investigations, allegations, and plans for border security in Arizona.

(click to open player in new window)

Our approach at ATS News will always be to apply a consistent level of critique and "calling out" items such as political madness where we see it. And in the case of an event such as this (not a direct interview), we'll always first post the event video in it's entirety, following by any analysis of the statements made within a second video. Here is that video...

(click to open player in new window)

Stay tuned for parts two and three where a rancher on the border between Mexico and Arizona relates his every-day problems in dealing with drug-runners and human traffickers on his property, and the property of other ranches... and the shocking revelation that his requests for aid from federal authorities have been turned done due to "safety" reasons.

Part three will cover the important points from the three other politicians in attendance, and some one-on-one interviews.

edit on by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
He apparently is a no nonsense kind of guy dedicated to doing his job. He has the popular support of the people in AZ. Looks like the right man for the job.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Im glad ATS was there to report on this!

People are standing up and speaking about the nonsense. More and more I'm hearing the people's voices and I'm proud of them! I'm proud that they aren't afraid to point fingers at the people in power, publicly naming names.
I know this is going to get uglier before things truly happen there at the border.

So if Mexico has legalized drugs in their country, what does that mean to us here?

At times the sheriff sounded like John Wayne.

I look forward to part 2 and beyond.

Thank you ATS for getting more involved and up close!

best regards,
sl

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Great coverage.

People all over the world really need to hear this man speak, in order to understand what is transpiring in AZ.

No nonsense and straight to the point.

What I hope is that people that get the power to enforce the laws don't abuse them, but with all the chaos in AZ and the drug cartel it's time to take the gloves off.

Heck maybe they should just legalize and tax all drugs, then they wouldn't have any issues like this.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Realtruth]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings about Arpaio. I think as a human being, he's a dick, BUT that's what Sheriffs are supposed to be. They enforce the laws, like he says. If we don't like a law he's enforcing, we need to press on our lawmakers to change the laws, and press them WAY harder than we have been. As for the immigration law, as long as secure borders are enforced in just about every other country, we have EVERY right to secure ours here in AZ. If the people of the world (not the elite, richest few) decide we want to open all borders and share all resources amongst the masses, if that is even feasible, I will support that. Until then, come here LEGALLY, regardless of your race.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
If any of you knew anything about Sheriff Joe Arpaio you would not be championing him. Janet Napolitano and Joe Arpaio have worked together to brutally enforce and punish minor offenders in the War on Drugs for years. The corruption that was created during their years together is tremendous. Please do your research before jumping on the bandwagon.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Cool Video - Thank you!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
problem solved. post removed.

[edit on 7/21/2010 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
great video

I wished we had a Sheriff Joe in every
county in America. And if the Feds won't
help .... tell them to get the [snip] out
of the way.

More related news:

Hispanic GOP Group to Announce Support for Arizona Immigration Law

www.foxnews.com...

even the legal Hispanics are supporting AZ !!!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tenbatsu
If any of you knew anything about Sheriff Joe Arpaio you would not be championing him. Janet Napolitano and Joe Arpaio have worked together to brutally enforce and punish minor offenders in the War on Drugs for years. The corruption that was created during their years together is tremendous. Please do your research before jumping on the bandwagon.

nobody is claiming to be perfect
but enforcing the law is a requirement
for the job

Let he who is without sin
cast the first stone
in this holier than thou attitude

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Like Arpaio or loathe him - understand that all he is trying to do is enforce the law, people talk as if what he is doing is illegal.

A little discussed item also happens to be the fact that Arpaio has several close relatives who are members of minorities, people he welcomes into his family.

Ultimately I fear that the media hysteria surrounding his actions will prove too much for him, and he will stand down. If that happens, all the residents of Arizona, myself included will be the worse off for it.

We need help with our illegal immigration problems, and right now Joe is the only one who is actually doing ANYTHING.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Retseh]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AboveTopSecret.com

@Everyone supporting Arpaio blindly.

Just because ATS can offer a non-fluff and no-nonsense media account of Arpaio. Doesn't mean Arpaio is a good guy.

Arpaio loves him some NSM, and JD Hayworth. They're both corrupt individuals preying on the fears of residents to maintain their power.

Just because you agree with one aspect of his position, doesn't automatically make him correct on everything. That's simply ignorance.

@boondock-saint

You seem to willingly ignore Joe violating the law in order to uphold it in the name of the law. And for this you praise him. Because he's upholding the law, by breaking it.

He's upholding only portions of law, not it's entirety. So I'm glad you can't differentiate between that and blindly wish we had a nutcase like Joe everywhere.

I'm also glad you can't differentiate between Federal and State laws, and why they are in fact separate. Creating the basis for why the State can't enforce Federal laws without the Federal approval, and vice versa.

You have opinions on law, and use your opinions to shape your reality of law around what you expect it to be. Not what it actually is.

- - - - - - - - - -

I see Joe mentioning no one asks him how to deal with the border. And at the exact same time I don't see him actually offering any plans of attack. He is pure political fluff.

He's an aging, ignorant bigot. Who is desperately trying to quickly adapt to modern society and "clean up" his image. He's no different than any other corrupt politician.

And just as normal, everyday good people stand behind politicians the majority see as corrupt because they have a verbal stance on an opinion that matters to them. So they ignore the actual actions because the words play nice.

The same is true for Joe.

I'm 6:30 into the video, and he hasn't really said ANYTHING. It's just PR.

I'm glad ATS covered it all. I'm more excited about the non Arpaio videos. Everyone knows where Arpaio stands. It's outside of law, outside of reason.

He has a fixed agenda, and bends law and citizens' opinions around his agenda to make it look like they're one in the same.

I honestly believe he's Hitler re-incarnated.

Because I as a legal, white, Citizen am more terrified of his Gestapo posse than any drug runner.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by mryanbrown]

[edit on 21-7-2010 by mryanbrown]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The opening past has been updated with a second video, and explanation as to why there are two.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I get an error when I click play saying that the video has been removed.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The BW admin, like his dady before him, and Reagan, opened the flood gate to illegal immigration that ignores all labor laws, pushes down wages while pushing up housing prices and lowering our standards of living.

This is one of the major reasons we are currently in a depression.

In addition, immigrants are given special privileges when it comes to welfare and medicaid. The people of the U.S. are getting screwed over by the politicians who are supposed to be representing them, and protecting our borders from invasion.

This double standard adapted by the federal government of giving privileges to immigrants needs to stop. This growing movement to end the blatant discrimination against working class Americans is not going to go away until the problem is solved. Enough is enough.

U.S. citizens can not go down to Mexico and work, even if they start their own business. Mexicans should not be allowed to come here to the U.S. until their own government changes its policies.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mryanbrown

I read two different threads a few days ago on the sheriff.
On one hand, (imo) we have the cowards in the white house and all they do is yak yak yak.
On the other hand, we have Gov. Jan Brewer taking action and now the Sheriff.

I'm impressed with the straight talk that is followed by action which is what I'm reading and seeing with Gov. Brewer and also with the sheriff.

Do we have any other choices at the moment? (speaking about the sheriff)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tenbatsu

As much as I know about this man's past, and I have to admit I've never been too fond of him, I have to admit he's grown some favor since he's one of few officials that seem to actually care about illegal immigration and is doing something about it, at least for now. We'll see if Arpaio truly is a relentless lawman or if the all mighty dollar will take him down like the rest of them and to be honest with the way this worlds been going, I'm not going to keep my hopes up.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stewie
He apparently is a no nonsense kind of guy dedicated to doing his job. He has the popular support of the people in AZ. Looks like the right man for the job.

So long as you don't care about the Constitution, and don't mind if he neglects his duties other than targeting Hispanics, he's definitely your man.

The Notorious Record of Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, AZ has become a hero of the anti-immigrant right for his hard-line police tactics to enforce immigration law in any way that he sees fit -- tactics which have resulted in higher crime rates, thousands of lawsuits, millions of dollars in unnecessary expenses and a reversal of the community-policing strategies that have proved successful to police across the nation. Despite the failures of the Arpaio model, Governor Jan Brewer endorsed it as statewide policy by signing controversial new state law SB 1070. If the federal government’s attempt to enjoin SB 1070 fails and the law goes into effect on July 29th, every police officer in the state will be forced to repeat Arpaio’s failures. In this short report, you will find several examples of Sheriff Arpaio’s failed record:

INEFFECTIVE TACTICS

* Violent Crime Rates Rise Under Arpaio, Fall in Rest of Arizona
* Under Arpaio, 911 Response Time Increased, Arrest Rates Decreased
* Arpaio Admits He Arrests ”Very Few” Non-Hispanics
* Over 40,000 Un-served Felony Warrants
* Conservative Think Tank Report: Arpaio’s Policies are Ineffective, Harmful, and a Waste of Millions of Taxpayer Dollars
* Mesa Police Chief: Arpaio’s Approach Hurts Community Safety

OPERATING ABOVE THE LAW

* Arpaio Under Investigation by the U.S. Justice Department for Civil Rights Abuses
* Arpaio Under FBI Investigation for Using his Power to Intimidate Political Opponents
* Judge Says Conditions in Arpaio’s Jails “Violate the Constitution”
* 2,700 Lawsuits Filed Against Arpaio
* Federal Officials Take Away Arpaio’s Deputies’ Authority to Make Immigration Arrests, Arpaio Vows to Defy the Restriction
* Arpaio Threatens Attorneys with Criminal Charges for Criticizing Him
* Department of Labor Investigates Arpaio, Finds He Owes Employees $2M in Unpaid Overtime
* Arpaio Suspected of Misspending $50M in Taxpayer Funds, Refuses to Turn Over Records
* Advocates Awarded $475,000 for Civil Rights Violations by Arpaio Deputies
* Arpaio Stages Phony Murder Plot Against Himself, Accused Released for Wrongful Imprisnment, County Pays Over $1 Million to Settle

INSPIRING TERROR IN LATINO COMMUNITIES

* Arpaio Marches Immigrants in Shackles to Tent City Surrounded by Electric Fence
* Arpaio Separates Mother from Kids for Unpaid Traffic Ticket
* Arpaio Conducts “Crime Suppression” Sweeps in Latino Communities
* Arpaio Forces Mother to Give Birth while Handcuffed to Bed
* Arpaio’s Deputies Deploy Heavy Duty Machine Guns

And here I thought ATS was supposed to be suspicious of unchecked government power...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

I understand what you're saying.

He's the only one really doing anything.

So the argument really is, is it better to do something and have debatable issues dividing us.

Or have no issues dividing us, and do nothing?

I understand there isn't really anyone running against Arpaio because he has so much negative PR. But PR is PR, so people can associate to it and vote for him because they at least know where he stands. Even if his position isn't the best.

I would prefer we have someone do something, in a positive way rather than a negative. But no one runs under that :/

And now the whole thing has become so obscene that if someone offered a viable, peaceful positive economic solution. They probably wouldn't go for it now because there's so much ignorant hatred instilled in people now over the issue.

We're almost hitting a point where people won't settle for anything less than blood when it comes to illegal immigration.

History, philosophy, right or wrong have no bearing on the issue anymore I believe. There is the issue, and correcting the issue regardless of the method.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mothershipzeta
And here I thought ATS was supposed to be suspicious of unchecked government power...

We were promised some one-on-one time with Sheriff Joe, but as the events unfolded that evening and the event ran late, it didn't work out.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join