It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Mass. Legislature poised to enact Electoral College bypass bill

page: 1
5

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Mass. Legislature poised to enact Electoral College bypass bill

video.foxnews.com...


Only one final vote remains in the state Senate before the Legislature sends a new law to the governor's desk that is intended to bypass the Electoral College system and ensure that the winner of the presidential election is determined by the national popular vote.
The House enacted the National Popular Vote bill Tuesday. "The National Popular Vote measure will ensure that our presidential elections reflect the true will of the people. Speaker DeLeo is pleased that the House has enacted this measure to give each voter equal say in the election of our president," House Speaker Robert DeLeo's office said in a statement.
Only an enactment vote in the Senate is needed before the bill will be sent to the governor's desk. David Falcone, a spokesman for Senate President Therese Murray, said it wasn't clear when the Senate would hold the final vote.


Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.



[edit on 21/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]




posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Looks like the people are about to brave a storm in a boat made of paper. The idea of where the person who wins the presidential election by popular vote is an idea that has been floating around, though not sure what to make of this. I am on the fence on this, cause it would mean that the will of the people is fully enforced, but at the same time, is it a good idea, cause what if it is a very close election, then what would happen, would we end up with another election like between Bush/gore? What do you think?



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
They won't get away with passing a law like this. The whole point of the Electoral College is so all states have an equal say in who gets voted president, despite the population differences. Besides, the 12th amendment trumps any law they come up with.



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Already planning to highjack the next POTUS election.

Liberals gone crazy.



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig
 


This is a naked attempt to preserve the office of president for Obama. Clearly, if enacted in liberal states, those states would vote as a solid block for the democratic candidate, while conservative states like Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, etc. would have their votes predominantly to the conservative candidate, but offset to some degree by liberal quarters in their state. The idea is to streamline the election process by focusing on minority turnout. Taking the money out of states where liberal support isn't questioned, the spending it on buses, gift cards and other items used to lure old folks and minorities out of their mail in ballots. The plan becomes to use additional votes from illegal aliens in states that would go towards the Kenyan anyway. In other words, this makes it easier to cheat your way to victory, and ties in with amnesty legislation.



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It would be dope if it was actually the people who voted, and those votes are what chose the president. Not the Senate. Its our votes. And they should count, not the electoral college.



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The electoral college is a sham anyway and should be done away with.

Why bother having a popular vote when the only one that matters is the electoral college?

~Keeper



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrogolf
reply to post by sdcigarpig
 


This is a naked attempt to preserve the office of president for Obama. Clearly, if enacted in liberal states, those states would vote as a solid block for the democratic candidate, while conservative states like Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, etc. would have their votes predominantly to the conservative candidate, but offset to some degree by liberal quarters in their state. The idea is to streamline the election process by focusing on minority turnout. Taking the money out of states where liberal support isn't questioned, the spending it on buses, gift cards and other items used to lure old folks and minorities out of their mail in ballots. The plan becomes to use additional votes from illegal aliens in states that would go towards the Kenyan anyway. In other words, this makes it easier to cheat your way to victory, and ties in with amnesty legislation.



Originally posted by prionace glauca
Already planning to highjack the next POTUS election.

Liberals gone crazy.


What I read you both saying is that if we went with the popular vote, conservatives would lose. Can you explain how this is would be a scam? If more people in the country would vote that way, it seems you are claiming you know you are a dwindling minority? Did I miss something?



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by evil incarnate
 


Well I look at it this way, ACCORN or like organizations impacting the last elections with fraudulent votes just like they did in the last election and in Minnesota's senate election which are now going to be reviewed under a criminal probe. But what is done has already been done and can not be recalled back.

Now is this the way you want the next POTUS to be decided with fraudulent voting. If they start using US Passports and Legal Resident cards for voting, then I am all for the popular vote. This way every LEGAL vote is represented.



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Personally, I believe we should go back to the way it was at the founding of the country, where the person who got the majority of the votes from the electorial college was president the next person would be the vice president. That way both sides of the party would be equally represented in the federal branch of the government.



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Well this will work just perfectly. Once the Obama Administration rams through blanket amnesty via presidential decree, he'll have all the popular votes he'll need to stay in office.



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca
 


One man, one vote. No more of the courts deciding who won the election like when Bush beat Gore. What BS.

The electoral college is obsolete with the advent of the www.



posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
reply to post by evil incarnate
 


Well I look at it this way, ACCORN or like organizations impacting the last elections with fraudulent votes just like they did in the last election and in Minnesota's senate election which are now going to be reviewed under a criminal probe. But what is done has already been done and can not be recalled back.

Now is this the way you want the next POTUS to be decided with fraudulent voting. If they start using US Passports and Legal Resident cards for voting, then I am all for the popular vote. This way every LEGAL vote is represented.





Correct me if I am wrong but every single example you brought up is one that happened under the current system, no?



posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by evil incarnate
 


Well it is under the current system yes, now if you have the ability to extrapolate this further into the popular vote only system. Do you see how the fraudulent voting will affect the results?

I would like your passport and LEGAL resident card as show of proof for voting and all absentee ballots have to be attained in the same fashion.



posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca
 

Yes, you are afraid of fraud that might elect a democrat so you embrace fraud that elects republicans. I got it.



posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by evil incarnate
reply to post by prionace glauca
 

Yes, you are afraid of fraud that might elect a democrat so you embrace fraud that elects republicans. I got it.


And you get this from my statements how?

Do you not see in my posts that I am clearly asking for stepped up measures for voting?

Please Deny Ignorance, don't promote it.



new topics

top topics



 
5

log in

join