It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When will Mother Earth catch a Break?.....[Official: 'Severe Threat' as China Oil Spill Grows]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Official: 'Severe Threat' as China Oil Spill Grows

Filed at 5:28 a.m. ET

BEIJING (AP) -- China's largest reported oil spill more than doubled in size to 165 sq. miles (430 sq. kilometers) by Wednesday, forcing nearby beaches to close and prompting one official to warn of a ''severe threat'' to sea life and water quality.

The oil slick started spreading five days ago when a pipeline at a busy northeastern port exploded, sparking a massive fire that took more than 15 hours to contain. Hundreds of boats have been deployed to help with the cleanup.

At least one person has been killed in those efforts, a 25-year-old firefighter, Zhang Liang, who drowned Tuesday after a wave threw him from a vessel and pushed him out to sea, the state-run Xinhua News Agency reported. Another man who also fell in was rescued.

Beaches near Dalian, once named China's most livable city, were closing as oil started reaching their shores, Xinhua reported.

''The oil spill will pose a severe threat to marine animals, and water quality, and the sea birds,'' Huang Yong, deputy bureau chief for Dalian, China Maritime Safety Administration, told Dragon TV.

The environmental group Greenpeace China released several photographs this week showing oil-slicked rocky beaches, a man covered in thick black sludge up to his cheekbones. One worker, covered in oil, was being carried away by a colleague, but he was not identified.

The amount of oil spilled in the explosion was still not clear Wednesday, though China Central Television earlier reported an estimate of 1,500 tons. That would amount roughly to 400,000 gallons (1,500,000 liters) -- as compared with 94 million to 184 million gallons in the BP oil spill off the U.S. coast.

State Oceanic Administration released the latest size of the contaminated area in a statement Tuesday.

Though the slick has continued to expand -- it covered a 70-sq.-mile (180-sq.-kilometer) stretch earlier this week -- officials maintain no more oil was leaking into the Yellow Sea.

The cause of the blast was still not clear. The pipeline is owned by China National Petroleum Corp., Asia's biggest oil and gas producer by volume.

Images of 100-foot-high (30-meter-high) flames shooting up near part of China's strategic oil reserves late Friday drew the immediate attention of President Hu Jintao and other top leaders. Now the challenge is cleaning up the greasy brown plume.

''Our priority is to collect the spilled oil within five days to reduce the possibility of contaminating international waters,'' Dalian's vice mayor, Dai Yulin, told Xinhua on Tuesday.

But an official with the State Oceanic Administration has warned the spill will be difficult to clean up even in twice that amount of time.

The Dalian port is China's second largest for crude oil imports, and last week's spill appears to be the country's largest in recent memory.

Source

No where near the amount from the BP Oil Leak. But still more sea life lost, and also 1 Death from this event.

There is something going on. This has to be one of the many incidents involving oil to happen this year.

Are these mini diversions for something big. A sign maybe?
I really cannot come to words with all the negative things that are going on right now.

June warmest on record globally
Many will pass due to the heat.

700 + Died from Floods in China/US

400 + From Drowning because of heat

also What seems to me an incredible amount of Major Earthquakes and Aftershocks.

and now this?......

91-year-old has 562,000 miles on her car - Source

Blah, i'll stop now.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Oozii]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

great find. star & flag.

but what am i suppose to do with this information other than feel worse about belonging to the species that is blamed for making it all possible?

confuscious said some things ....

want to take care of your world, take care of your nation.
want to take care of your nation? take care of your state.
want to take care of your state? take care of your city.
want to take care of your city? take care of your neighbors.
want to take care of your neighbors? take care of your house.
want to take care of your house? take care of your family.
want to take care of your family? take care of yourself.
want to take care of yourself? take care.

take care of your home.
take care of my home.

english speakers have their oil spill, already, to clean up.
mandarin speaking have their oil spill to clean up, too?

i would like to take care of ti. but (insert random mandarin excuse here)

thanks for sharing,
et

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
reply to post by Oozii

great find. star & flag.

but what am i suppose to do with this information other than feel worse about belonging to the species that is blamed for making it all possible?

confuscious said some things ....

want to take care of your world, take care of your nation.
want to take care of your nation? take care of your state.
want to take care of your state? take care of your city.
want to take care of your city? take care of your neighbors.
want to take care of your neighbors? take care of your house.
want to take care of your house? take care of your family.
want to take care of your family? take care of yourself.
want to take care of yourself? take care.

take care of your home.
take care of my home.

english speakers have their oil spill, already, to clean up.
mandarin speaking have their oil spill to clean up, too?

i would like to take care of ti. but (insert random mandarin excuse here)

thanks for sharing,
et

Well I dont mean make anyone feel bad. If anything, this is a wake up call for all people living on this planet.

Thats an awesome quote. BTW

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
after reading that did any one else feel like the apocalypse came just a little bit closer. I know that the world needs to kick its petroleum habit and I'm sure the world knows it as well, but hear we are, another spill.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
well now just one to go in europe maybe???

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I wonder if they are going to call BP for some advice on how to handle the spill and lie to the public about it. Wouldn't it be interesting if the chinese spill is contained and taken care if before the one in the gulf. Does anyone know if BP has anything working in China? If so that would really be an interesting development.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

I applaud you for caring about our Mother and I am in no way claiming that Mother loves me more.
However I figured out something about Mother.
When she thinks we need to learn a lesson and become stronger animals, she will shun us from the nest, ad then she will start to breed the next litter.
Mom will be just fine, as for us...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
good post cnn isn't gonna cover this that will piss the gulf shore pop. off

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Nothing a dose of corexit cant fix !!!!! Or maybe oil eating bacteria !!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
Wouldn't it be interesting if the chinese spill is contained and taken care if before the one in the gulf.

Why would that be interesting?

The BP gulf spill is 200 to 500 times bigger than the Chinese spill, according to the article...of course it is going to take longer to contain and clean up.

Oil spills are never good, no matter how small, but this is nowhere close to the magnitude of the BP spill. It's like comparing a swimming pool to a lake.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I just made a post like this, isn't it odd this pump exploded the same day that BP capped the one in the Gulf ?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
''Let's wait and see how well they deal with the oil until Sept. 1, if the oil can't be cleaned up by then, the seafood products will all be ruined,'' an unnamed fisherman told Dragon TV. ''No one will buy them in the market because of the smell of the oil.''

Here it comes again. Seriously is the entire body of water on earth gonna turn black?

One leak gets stopped temporarliy, and in its place another starts.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
I wonder if they are going to call BP for some advice on how to handle the spill and lie to the public about it. Wouldn't it be interesting if the chinese spill is contained and taken care if before the one in the gulf. Does anyone know if BP has anything working in China? If so that would really be an interesting development.

No Chevron Toxaco do a much better job of it, after all the Ecuador oil disaster is way bigger then the BP Gulf spill. American owned Chevron Toxico have lied even bigger and better than 40% American owned BP.

In fact Ecuador is good at oil spills and serious pollution - all caused by foreign oil companies - American, Spanish, etc.

[edit on 21/7/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
"mother earth" is FULL of oil. so much so it seeps out of her. i really don't think she cares that much. WE on the other hand, have to suffer. long after this mess of a civilization is gone, ol'Momma is still gonna be spinning just fine.

new topics

top topics

join