It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Be skeptical of debunkers, Debunk Skeptics & Believe in someone.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Demoncreeper

i really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about what skeptics are and what they do for the ATS community as a whole.

and in good fashion i might add.

Star,
et

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrionHunterX
Oh wow! Why not just post in English??
This is all Greek to me! Reminds me of what Rummy Rumsfeld once said:

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

WTF?

i like the way rumsfeld formed that quote. through collaboration, and and working knowledge of the tools of psy-ops.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

This thread is in need of some constant folding.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
who do you propose to believe in and why ?

who do i propose we believe in and why?

i propose to believe in ignorant apes, but i cannot always formulate a logical response as to why. sometimes due to skepticism. sometimes due to the addiction of debunking. sometimes due to believing in skepticism and debunking too much. sometimes due to my own inadiquet knowledge and understanding and ignorance of the information and how it all fits together.

who do i propose to believe in and why?

ever little ATS post by any fellow ignorant ape. why? because i can choose to do so, and even learn about someone and their senses in the process, maybe.

star & thanks,
et

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Originally posted by Come Clean
Believer: Chemtrails are real and nothing will change their mind people.
Debunker: Chemtrails are not real and nothing will change their mind people.
Skeptic: Chemtrails might exist you never know people.

Not at all. A skeptic will not say "might exist you never know". The skeptic will make a judgement based on the best available evidence. Skepticism is not a position of perpetual agnosticism.

Behold.....

Classic debunker/believer logic. It's either all or nothing right? There is no middle ground.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by defenestrator

I don't like the OP or the post for this simple reason: "esoteric teacher." This self-important screen-name implies that this person is here to teach, not learn. Superiority is implied, and that makes me sick. There are so many educated, insightful people here who do little to toot their own horn, that when someone has to do so with the very name they choose for themselves, it makes me ill. It's a pathetic, ego-based position to take, whether intentional or not.

(With my screen-name, I'm not claiming to know anything more or less than anyone else, but I am claiming if you piss me off I might just throw you out a window.)

Self-important screen-names disgust me, and though I see the value of what was originally posted, despite the unnecessarily 'esoteric' style of prose in which it was written. I think the OP is part of the problem, not the solution. Sorry, e.t. but that's my honest opinion.

i appreciated your input on this post on many levels, i honestly did.

i am deliberatly reading each post 3 times and absorbing what i can, and giving each post in this thread thought, as the subject matter does interest me.

my screen name is a variable in this thread because it is gulty of "implying" something that is a variable in the discussion and subject matter of this thread? or is debunking and being skeptical of the intentions behind my choice of a screen name nothing more than a snapshot of how i felt one day five years ago?

what bad qualities are associated with the ego, and why are you so against the ego? i'm not sure i understand this, but obviously you have my attention.

esoteric has many connotations, pro & con varying on how one chooses to believe what it may imply.

teacher has many connotations, pro & con, varying on how one chooses to believe what it may imply.

i've studied "esoteric" subjects for decades now. and on some issues i've been a student long enough, or at least my senses seem to imply such.

i believe "esoteric" is "esoteric", and open for discussion. a willingness to delve into speculation.

i believe "teacher" is simply someone who shares information as best as they can. the only thing i am qualified to teach pertains to the field of fire sciences, however.

this is not to impress upon others my superiority on all issues and in all disciplines.

Esoteric Teacher's personal confession:

i believe i make the worst leader i know of, personally.
personally, i believe i make the worst follower i know of, personally.
maybe there are truisms hidden at the center between leader and follower and i (esoteric teacher) may find the best i can be inbetween.

If Esoteric Teacher was not willing to learn and was not a student, then Esoteric Teacher would not be reading and responding to the posts ATSers choose to share.

defenestrator,
i do effort ot live up to such a screen name as best as i can, sharing wierd stuff i know as best as i can. sharing wierd stuff with others along the way.

i am a student, as much as i am a teacher ... actually i may be more a student than a teacher most of the time, but i do share information. an aspect of a teacher, i think.

defenestrator,
you took the time and burnt the calories to exert 165 words concerning my avatar.

if every ATSer was like you, i need to justify my choice of screen name to how many other ATSers before they are willing to discuss the information in my posts and threads rather than my screen name choice?

should i do this via u2u to all members? or should i author a thread justifying my intentionalities about such a choice for a screen name?

at any rate, i hope the OP doesn't think this post is too off topic and report it to the mods as possible spam.

thanks for sharing & hope this clears some things up as to what my screen name was intended to imply.

i guess when i chose this screen name i had no idea how much some ATSers might be skeptical of me personally, or attempt to debunk me personally for my association with the word "teacher".

i might be a teacher in some regards.
i might be a student in some regards.
i might be a tutor in some regards.
i might even be a drop out in some regards.

thanks,
et

please don't hate the ego.
and if you hate the ego, please isolate what aspects of the definition of ego you hate, and believe to be counter-productive, and offer viable solutions.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
sorry if i'm a little behind guys & gals. i'm reading each post thoroughly and skeptically debunking what i can and addressing other important issues (like my screen name) which are important details concerning the subject matter being discussed, obviously.

i'm on page 3 now, and i'm slowily catching up as i skeptically review all attempts to debunk this thread, or debunk me and my ego. which ever comes first.

you guys keep drying the dishes, i'll keep washing them, and we will see who finishes first!

thanks,
et

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
sorry if i'm a little behind guys & gals. i'm reading each post thoroughly and skeptically debunking what i can and addressing other important issues (like my screen name) which are important details concerning the subject matter being discussed, obviously.

i'm on page 3 now, and i'm slowily catching up as i skeptically review all attempts to debunk this thread, or debunk me and my ego. which ever comes first.

you guys keep drying the dishes, i'll keep washing them, and we will see who finishes first!

thanks,
et

Ugh. Just how masturbatory can you make this thread, dude?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Come Clean

reply to post at top of page 3:

thanks for sharing your feelings and opinion on this issue.
i liked what you got out of the original topic, and what you had to share concerning your perspective on what a skeptic is to you, as a skeptic.

thanks,
et

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

eleven of these:
may have been sufficient to get your point across.

i think it was the twelfth
that hurt me the most. but, i did take the time and effort to count them!

can i get a star for paying attention to detail?

thanks,
et

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown

And some one on ATS should always consider that the sceptics and debunkers might be right.

and if someone does not have the choice to be skeptical or effectivley debunk due to personal experiences, are they welcome to share on ATS also, or is this practice unwelcomed by the skeptics and debunkers?

what if someones' personal senses must first be debunked in order for debunkers to be right concerning alien visitation, or other contraversial subject matter?

are debunkers not actively and aggressively debunking someones until they are skeptical of their own senses and critical thinking skills?

some efforts and some posts seem to demonstrate that debunkers do practice such things while fine tuning their debunking skills.

appreciate the input,
et

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

And some one on ATS should always consider that the sceptics and debunkers might be right. And I think title of this tread is actually wrong is should be: “Be sceptical of every one, especially those on ATS.”

do you not believe in the title i chose for this thread?
are you, were you, skeptical of the title, or are you attempting to debunk the title?

thanks for sharing,
et

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by free_spirit

Good topic. Skeptics and I don't say debunkers because a believer or a UFO researcher
or any person with initiative may debunk a case, story, photo, video anytime by getting
information to expose a hoax or to clarify a confusion, anyway Skeptics live in denial
all the time and this is a proven fact, but even that let's say they have their right to
deny the existence of UFOs. However Skeptics also like Ratings and if those ratings are
good they enjoy their minutes of fame like everybody in this forum, not a surprise.

There are professional Skeptics that make their living talking, discussing, debunking
UFOs some of these Skeptics are famous and they earn very good $$ in their work.
Of course they claim ufologists are bad persons because they earn money but this
just prove there is a clear hypocrisy, not a surprise. It seems to make a living of the
UFOs is not a sin for Skeptics but it 's a sin for ufologists, a clear contradiction. Here
in this forum some well known skeptics cry $$ all the time when they criticize ufologists
but they conveniently ignore the fact that many professional Skeptics also make their
living and earn good money with the UFO Phenomena, hypocrisy and contradiction.

And there are also the well known ATS Clowns who like to get their minutes of fame by
making silly jokes off topic destroying the seriousness of a thread, The ATS clowns that
like to sabotage threads all the time taking advantage of the moderator's absence,
these parasites are the scumb here in this ATS Forum, these ATS clowns that wonder
from thread to thread, taking control over all of the colaborating members , these
ATS clowns that steal the thread for their own benefits that is to ridiculize the poor
member that posted this or that topic and then sabotage the whole thread by making
silly dumb jokes, posting a lot of dumb messages to monopolize the whole thread in
order to promote himself or themselves like spamming the thread, this or these ATS
clowns are the worst scum in this forum and I think we all know who they are.

There was a time when this forum provided good informations about UFO cases and I
think that age made this forum famous. Those days are over if you review the actual
condition of this forum that looks more like an asylum where sterile discussions are
the menu of the day, ratings are the main objective. For a single good thread of a
legitimate discussion treated with seriousness there are a bunch of lunatic discussions
among who is the best, who is the smarter, who is the immaculate, who has the
authority to rule the cult. And the other ones that took control of this forum to make
their days as clowns by converting this forum in a circus where they can tell their
stupid jokes, make their idiot drawings and to amuse themselves by making fun of
UFOs and ATS members, unfortunately this is the actual condition of this forum and I
have seen the regrettable changes taking place in a short period of time degradating
the seriousness of the forum by the arrival of those parasites and eccentric clowns.

But despite the contamination UFOs continue to be Real, the UFO Phenomena is now
stronger than ever with more and more believers, witnesses, evidences AND as long
as the UFO Phenomena is alive both Skeptics and Ufologists will continue making their
living and this is a definitive and undeniable fact, like it or not.

Dear sir, I have terrible problems to express myself completly in English, altough i read it very well, and understend it also.
I never would be able to write what you wrote, due to my lack of english knowledge, but thanks God, you show up and say everything i would love to say

You are absolutly right, and for me the major mistery in ATS atm is exactly why the Board administrators allow that "Circus" to happen! And why they allow so many people here to be offended or treated like garbage so many times, with out a good reason for that!

Cogratulations, you have described in a suberb way what is going on very wrong in ATS at the moment!

[edit on 22/7/10 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

i like your input on this particular post Phage.

and your avatar almost always makes me smile a little.

thanks,
et

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dean Goldberry

thanks Dean. i think your post contribution ranks as one of my favorite responses thus far concerning the subject matter.

much appreciated & star,
et

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

reply to post by CASH69

What a fantastically articulate come back for a person who does so much reading and research, I am very impressed by that by the way.

It’s amazing what you have found out form those two little sentences. You have discovered I am fooling myself, I am an atheist and I am worm food, I can assure you I am allot of things but am not any of those things. Well i might be worm food but am not too sure yet, i’ll know when worms start to nibble at my little toe.

plan a pre-emptive attack kevinunknown, eat those worms first!

worm eating visual aid:
www.stupidvideos.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CASH69
reply to post by kevinunknown

Thy call it an educated guess,and nothing personal. And the Ape picture made me think atheist and worm food.

hey now, i may not like or always agree with kevinunkown on all issues, but please do not make assumptions about people who have primates in their avatars as being althiestic worm food.

some juries may still be out, but there is an uncanny resemblance to these primates that suggest we may be related, somehow.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
never in 5 years have i added someone to my friends list because of the stance somone took in one post on one thread. but i really liked what this ATSer had to say.

Originally posted by Magnus47
People shouldn't come to ATS with some preconceived "goal" to debunk people or to target certain people with skepticism, much less to somehow do both at once.

i agree. wait, did i do that?

If we all had honest discussions without constantly building our egos upon the notion of accomplishing such shallow-minded goals, this would be a much more informational environment.

ego was already absent, wasn't it?
few full real names in screen names.
few real pictures of self in the avatars.

sharing personal (egoic?) information is not only discouraged, but mods also may and do remove such posts that reveal such information also.

so, according to the terms and conditions from the start, ego is demoted upon entry into the ATS community, isn't it?

i think it is, in my opinion.

but i liked your post, alot.

thanks & star,
et

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
i'm going to take a break to do some chores around the house for awhile.

i'm sorry i'm only on starting on page 4, but i am paying attention and giving thought to each post, and taking into consideration what is being shared and what from perspectives.

thanks to everyone for sharing, no matter what your "position" or cyber-tactics may be.

-et

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
if someone can claim to know where the line has been drawn, can anybody please inform the rest of us what the color of that line is?

or is the color of the line not important?

what would a self proclaimed believer say?
what would a self proclaimed debunker say?
what would a self proclaimed skeptic say?

a someone with or without his own senses might be asking fellow ATSers.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join