It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Be skeptical of debunkers, Debunk Skeptics & Believe in someone.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I think you guys are missing the OP's primary point.

Some debunker's on here debunk just for the sake of debunking. They are never skeptical first. They debunk first. Not all, but a few notables on here debunk even in their sleep.

I'm the classic skeptic. I never take anything at face value. But being skeptical doesn't mean you believe or don't believe. It just means you need more proof.

Debunker's tend to debunk because NASA said so or some scientific theory says so. A theory is just that. It's just one theory in many. Debunker's claim to know everything in the universe but can't cure cancer right here on Earth. I am very skeptical of debunker's.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by defenestrator

True, but those against the idea of a round Earth did so in blind obedience to the christian manifesto. There was a good argument for the circular Earth.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by defenestrator
It is true, if we all accepted the stance of skeptics and debunkers, we would still believe that the Earth is flat and at the center of the universe.

I fail to see your point..
Skeptics on one side were skeptical of the Earth being round.
Skeptics on the other side were skeptical of the Earth being flat.

Edit:

Quote from Wikipedia:

Contemporary skepticism (or scepticism) is loosely used to denote any questioning attitude,[1] or some degree of doubt regarding claims that are elsewhere taken for granted.

By this definition, people who doubted the flat Earth theory, were skeptics.

[edit on 21/7/2010 by DGFenrir]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon

There was a good argument for the circular Earth.

I thought the Earth is spherical (oblately, of course).

It is not true that there was an effort by the Church to maintain a belief in a flat Earth. During the middle ages it was accepted that the Earth is round by educated people. Christopher Columbus did not set out to prove the world is round. He set out to get rich. Those skeptical of his voyage did not think he would fall off the edge, they thought that China (his destination) was too far away for a westerly voyage. Actually, they were right. Lucky for Columbus there was a hunk of land in the way.

It really bugs me when either "side" uses that argument.

[edit on 7/21/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ChicUFO

stop it please ahhhhhhhh
2nd line

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I'm not sure if I 100% understand the point of the OP, but let me put my 2 cents in...

...Witnesses to an Alien experience may have very well "seen" or "experienced" something, but skeptics sometimes try to make sense of what was seen by the witness using mundane (i.e., non-ET) explanations.

I have no problem with the skeptics who try to explain a sighting using critical thinking skills, rather than just believing the witness' explanation without question, or jumping to the "it must be an ET" explanation.

That is to say, the actual sighting isn't always in question, but the explanation for that sighting is certainly a subject for debate.

[edit on 7/21/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

And some one on ATS should always consider that the sceptics and debunkers might be right. And I think title of this tread is actually wrong is should be: “Be sceptical of every one, especially those on ATS.”

[edit on 21-7-2010 by kevinunknown]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Most of us in our lifetime,SHOULD experience SOMETHING to help themselves understand there is MORE to us and life than meets the eye. The realm of the skeptic is empty and void,simply because he has not experienced something out of the ordinary yet,it is not his fault he is in DENIAL ,because he is also spiritually lacking as well,THEREFORE it is easy for him to tell the adept that he has seen or experienced nothing. My advice to them is to listen to the EXPERIENCED,and keep his eyes and mind OPEN. So here's a little jump start for this DEBUNKING DENYING SKEPTIC,"WE ARE NOT ALONE". SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND,ASK AND IT WILL BE GIVEN TO YOU! And maybe even when you are ready.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I've seen things out of the ordinary. A few times it's taken me a while to figure out what I was looking at. They weren't UFOs but that didn't make them any the less unusual, or cool, or awesome.

I don't doubt that people see things in the sky. The problem is that it is very easy to misunderstand what they are seeing. That's why discussion of eyewitness reports, with no other information, is futile. Each time the story is discussed, it will be "adjusted". It becomes a moving target as the teller's recollection shifts. It's not intentional, it's the way the human mind works. Our eyes play tricks and our memories are fluid.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by defenestrator

Is there a way to give a star to your post? You summed it up exactly. I too have seen/experienced some things that have completely changed my world view, but I still value rational, logical thinking skills. Every single one of us is a 'skeptic, debunker, and believer'... all relative to the positions we take on the subject of discussion.

Ahhh, I just figured out the star thingy.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Flux8]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I won't deny for one second that optical allusions don't take place with the human eye. But when you have a whole group of people seeing the same thing at the same time,you can't always chalk it up to mass hallucinations,it just doesn't happen. Phage,i hope that you do experience something that will wake you up. I was once the same way,but something went out of its way to show me the truth. I questioned it over and over again,but when i ask for the truth,it just happens again. Whatever it is or they are,they or it is not from here. I feel very lucky somehow that these beings would think enough of me to show themselves to me,even if it is just orange and white orbs flying over the top of my house.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
My first UFO sighting is unforgettable. It can't be debunked. It was not filmed, but was viewed by 3 people and it was awesome.

The area I lived in was along the shore of the Colorado River in AZ.
A small mobile home park that was mostly occupied on weekends.

This night..twilight we were sitting on the porch and talking when 2 craft flew past at machx . no boom though. I lived on base and know what sonic booms are and the relative speed of the aircraft passing me that created the boom. Many times over.

These craft were at least mach2. Neck snapping speed to watch them go by.
They did a circle and came by a second time. One following another.

Our attention is now on these craft. They then flew away ..mabe 30 miles. We moved to the sun deck above the garage and watched them for another 45 minutes.
At one point they were joined by a third craft. That began the dogfight mode. It was two against one and the flight paths were unreasonable.
One craft would dive toward the ground from thousands of feet and at hundreds of feet above the ground do a u-turn then blink out for a second. All of the while being followed by the third 'interloper' while the other of the pair was on the 'interloper's arse.

Then at once they were gone.. I have seen combat speed f18s and have seen the SR71 at full speed. These craft were not current technology.

I can't debunk what I watched. It did nothing but verify to me that we are only a young race and have much to learn in many ways.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The terminology of this thread title is all wrong. What is a "debunker" supposed to be actually debunking when he or she is sufficiently full of bunk to begin with? Or at best, the "debunker" offers only a theory or opinion, far from proven fact. Where's the debunking? To quote the famous Wendy's commercial in the '80s, "Where's the beef?" No debunking applies.

I estimate that, conservatively, 90% (and really more) of those who refer to themselves as skeptics are really pseudoskeptics. Reactionary naysaying with unsubstantiated remarks like "That's just preposterous!" is NOT skepticism. Nor is offering strawman arguments, selective criticisms, that don't address the whole issue.

REAL skepticism and debunking are always good and totally necessary.

As for "believing in someone," well, that's the biggest problem with humanity - too many mere BELIEFS and not enough DESIRE for objective (by definition) truth. Too many shallow, fragile eggshell egos and psyches are too vested in their various collective psychoses (religious and political beliefs).

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

Hey great story,we have seen things like this here in Iowa too. I think maybe some of these debunkers don't spend enough time outside at night. Too much time on the computer.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CASH69
reply to post by awakentired

Hey great story,we have seen things like this here in Iowa too. I think maybe some of these debunkers don't spend enough time outside at night. Too much time on the computer.

You know what your totally right we spend all our time inside at night on our computers finding out what’s really going on. That is why we can debunk allot of the crap on ATS and why are also sceptical of allot of the other stuff on ATS that might be crap.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

You keep telling yourself that over and over again,and i'm going to guess you are an atheist too,because you saw god is some man sitting on a throne with a long beard and a crown on his head. My research is from first hand experience,lots of books and the internet,than drawing a reasonable conclusion. If you think you are just worm food,than maybe that's what you will be.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by CASH69]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I can not believe people will go on to the worlds end to classify a group into what seems like a lower tier just because such a group holds a different view.

Those who believe all of the nut-job stories on this site are no better than the sheep that believe everything the government says.

There are gems in each story, and it is our job to find them.

You know who I am skeptic of? People like the original poster who seems to have a hatred/dislike for those who are trying to seek the truth, despite if it correlates with their own beliefs.

Disgusting trend here on ATS - that is, threads such as this.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CASH69

What a fantastically articulate come back for a person who does so much reading and research, I am very impressed by that by the way.

It’s amazing what you have found out form those two little sentences. You have discovered I am fooling myself, I am an atheist and I am worm food, I can assure you I am allot of things but am not any of those things. Well i might be worm food but am not too sure yet, i’ll know when worms start to nibble at my little toe.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

Thy call it an educated guess,and nothing personal. And the Ape picture made me think atheist and worm food.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by CASH69]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
someone senses that skeptics are skeptical of someones' senses because skeptics are skeptical of relying on someones' senses more than the senses of someones because the debunker's senses told them not to trust someones' senses.

Why are you trying so hard to muddle your sentences and make it difficult to understand? Are you Dr. Seuss?? You could have written this in half the words and a quarter the confusion.

maybe....
? Be skeptical of debunkers. Debunk Skeptics. Believe in someone. ?

Instead of promoting two contradictory agendas, why not try this instead: Don't promote ANY agenda. People shouldn't come to ATS with some preconceived "goal" to debunk people or to target certain people with skepticism, much less to somehow do both at once. If we all had honest discussions without constantly building our egos upon the notion of accomplishing such shallow-minded goals, this would be a much more informational environment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join