It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds Of Dead Penguins Wash Ashore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Hundreds Of Dead Penguins Wash Ashore

uk.news.yahoo.com

Brazilian scientists have begun an investigation after hundreds of dead penguins and other sea animals washed up on Sao Paolo state beaches.

A total of 530 penguins, numerous other sea birds, five dolphins and three giant sea turtles have been found in coastal towns along the shoreline.

Environmental officials do not believe pollution is to blame, instead pointing to starvation as the most likely cause of the deaths.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
But could it not be the effect of pollution that has contributed towards the decline of the penguins (and other creatures) diet?

Could it not be something to do with the toxic plastic soup floating in the ocean?
Plastic Toxic Soup

Or perhaps even a sudden drop in food stocks due to the oil and corexit that is currently floating around?
Deep Water Disaster

Or maybe even to do with chemtrails?
Chemtrails

Maybe overfishing has something to contribute too?
Perhaps it is a collection of all these things that has caused this new disaster, Yes I call it a disaster, because for an animal of the natural world to die in such numbers due to starvation is not something we see on the globe every day.

Just what is happening to our world?

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Just what is happening to our world?

what indeed.

this is sad sad news, i hope they can find out why this has happened soon.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
This is very sad! I looked at the picture, I didn't see any dead penguins on there
Not that I was really wanting to see any! Those penguins looked alive.

I hope they get to the reason/s and fast.

You know I didn't realize our oceans were as polluted as they are. Nature and it's creatures sure are in a fight for their lives.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Whoa sad. Sounds like a wave of something hit them for it to affect so many all at once. Bad food? Some sort of poison? Some sort of testing or solar activity?

[edit on 7/21/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

A total of 530 penguins, numerous other sea birds, five dolphins and three giant sea turtles have been found in coastal towns along the shoreline. towns along the shoreline.

So far they are stating that it's starvation, yet it wasn't just penguins. There were "other" sea birds, dolphin and sea turtles. Three of the group are in the water and one in the air and their diets are not the same. Starvation doesn't fit nor does the use of sonar. It also seems to be a localized event, so most likely they were poisoned. The only common denominator is that they are all air breathing. Just food for thought.

[edit on 7/21/2010 by pstrron]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

I kinda agree, to me it seems like maybe a Methane Gas Release from the ocean floor in the area these animals were might be the more likely culprit, ...

The Deepwater Horizon Spill and Doomsday

251 million years ago a mammoth undersea methane bubble caused massive explosions, poisoned the atmosphere and destroyed more than 96 percent of all life on Earth. Now, worried scientists are increasingly concerned the same series of catastrophic events that led to worldwide death back then may be happening again.”
******SKIP******
the “astonishingly high” methane levels in the Gulf mean that marine mammals, sea birds, amphibians and fish are not going to escape this catastrophe unscathed.

I know this article is talking about the effects of the Gulf methane levels, but what if the area these animals had been in had a major methane release from the ocean floor?

Could an unnoticed massive methane release from the ocean floor caused these animals death?

Seems a little more plausible than all these different kind of animals just starving to death.

Here's another article, ...

Ocean methane played role in extinctions, study says

Huge reservoirs of methane trapped beneath the ocean floor rapidly escaped during prehistoric global warming and depleted much of the sea's oxygen, according to new research into why many forms of life suddenly vanished 183 million years ago.

The findings, reported in today's issue of the journal Nature, shed new light not only on the disappearance of as many as 80 percent of some deep-sea species but also a process suspected in other prehistoric mass extinctions.
******SKIP******
Methane, freed from its sub-oceanic cage by warmer water, then merged with the oxygen in the water or atmosphere to form carbon dioxide.

The animals/marine mammals that were killed, breathe in air close to the oceans surface where this carbon dioxide, released from the methane gas release, would have first entered the atmosphere before dispersing.

This could explain why sea creatures and birds (mammals) were affected.

[edit on 7/21/2010 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

It could be the Corexit 9500 that was used as a dispersant sprayed from small airplanes over the Deepwater disaster????????

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Yes it does seem to be very suspiscious that this group of animals have died.

I can understand 10 or 20 of one type dying in a few days of each other, but this amount and a mix of varities too, all at once!!!

I think that the reporter has blown the cover by stating the mix of creatures that have died.

It may be possible that the penguins were supposed to have been reported and not the rest.. yet the reporter decided to include them all.

Something is most definitely not right in any of this.
Yes it could be a methane bubble, it could be the corexit. could be both...

I hope that whoever does the autopsy on these animals is in a position to reveal the whole truth about their demise.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The article did not say anything about the time frame in which this has happened. That could give a clue to the cause. I doubt they would all stave at the same time. If the time span is short then I would lean more toward poison or another environmental factor. This is very sad news, I hope they find the reason soon or their will be more deaths.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Theres something very serious going on, i just put up a post a couple of days ago about a Pakistani Beach full of Dead Sea Urchins !
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Almost identical reports are appearing on other news sources.

I may as well pick one source and know that i've read the same stuff for every other source.
www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...#
news.yahoo.com...
www.bbc.co.uk...
news.sky.com... 201007315667936?f=rss

All are stating that autopsies revealed the penguins to have empty stomachs.
All are also saying that it could be due to colder waters than normal or overfishing.

There is very little mention of other man made factors.

Except for this site which does mention oil spills, but none in particular;

In addition to the reduced food supply, the penguins are also at the mercy of oil spills and fishing nets, both which continue taking a toll on the birds’ populations. As a result of the above factors, Magellanic penguins are now on the “Near threatened” list.

www.digitaljournal.com...

Yahoo seems to be the only one that mentions the Dolphins and Turtles.

The Guardian includes a video;
www.guardian.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

join