It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The more we know about the world, the worse it seems to get

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Ever notice how things seem to get worse despite our knowing more? How is this possible?

Each new generation of human beings know a lot more than the previous. Yet, despite this fact, things appear to be getting exponentially worse.

The more we know about the world, the worse it seems to get.

Politics, for example. Each new candidate has access to a rich history prior to them that increases for each new candidate. On top of that, our elected officials have more access to more information today than they have ever had in history of politics, yet, resulting policies or speeches would indicate otherwise.

Politicians sure have a funny way of going about things. They seem to come up with the worst possible solution to a problem, convince people that it's somehow the best idea, and then legislate it.

New York (if I'm wrong I'm sure there's another place out there) is a great example here, being a state in which it is illegal to have a gun. I do not get my political views from bumper stickers, but I saw one when I was a kid that said if you outlawed guns, only outlaws will have guns. Ask anyone around you and I promise the majority will agree.

It just makes plain Horse Sense. Yet, despite this gem of conventional wisdom, New York somehow convinced its citizens that banning guns was in their best interest. I would cite this, but Charles Bronson just broke a sock of nickles over my head.

To no one's surprise, crime went up. Now then, if you're running a state, and your crime rate is on the rise, what do you do? I don't know what you'd do, but I'd start training and hiring...more...police.

Hrm.

1) More crime results in more police.

2) More police results in a bigger budget.

3) A bigger budget resuts in higher taxes.

4) Skim a bit of a percentage off the top and pocket a wad or two of cold hard cash.

5) The "more cops" thing is working, crime is decreasing.

6) Legislate something on its merit to cause problems or require an agency.

7) Go to 1 and repeat.

The more I think about this, the more I tend to buy into it. The reason I buy into it first and foremost, is because it appears to be completely natural. It's nothing more than self preservation, and we do have historical account of planned obsolescence to boot.

Now, having said this, the war on [your favorite bad thing here] seems to make a mighty good amount of "cents." Well, at least it's the only way I can make it make sense.

I assert that some officials deliberately create problems within their jurisdictions to justify further expenses evinced on the aftermath of certain controversial policies.

Apply this assertion to whatever policy you deem controversial. And then apply the topic headline to whatever you wish to entertain.

*disclaimer: I am not claiming any originality here, but this is how it came out of my brain and thought I'd share with folks who might appreciate it. I also apologize to those who would think this is blindingly obvious. And why is it we have to break stuff to learn about it?*

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
When I read your terrific post, I thought of certain things. Greed. Ego. Perversity, or perverse pleasure in dominating others and the world.
That made me think of the "7 deadly sins."
That made me think "My Gosh, they really ARE deadly!"
No matter one's beliefs, there are eternal truths.
The 7 deadly sins are an example of what not to do. They have different interpretations, and there may be more or less than 7 ! I see Greed as a constant, as well as ego, which may be called pride I suppose. I see vengeance, or anger, or wrath, as similar. Perversity may be lust, sloth, or gluttony, or other. Domination thinking I think deserves a spot on its own in the modern world.
Looking at things from the bottom of the pyramid, which eerily resembles the top, I say it is
Greed. ( same as gluttony, etc.)
Ego.( I'm OK, You're not.)
Perversity. (Kicks just keep gettin' harder to find. May be caused by outside influence? Still goes with the above.)

Or, from the opposing viewpoint, perhaps we should support
Humility. ( Solves a lot of trouble.)
Gratitude. (Just be Thankful for what you got.)
Caring, Giving. (Better than greed for the kicks.)

Working in hospitals and schools, I have seen concrete examples of the items you illustrated above. Keep the money flowing.
Still, each individual had to commit acts to promote the system, and as you say, it is always to pocket extra cash for themselves.
Why don't people experience satisfaction when their living expenses are covered and the have "enough?"
Do we have a challenge with people who have forgotten that
A) They will die one day.
B) It is good to have enough, and it is good to be enough for one human life.
C) One should be grateful.
etc ?
Meh, perhaps I am the one who has seen too much.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by CestLaVie

Funny you should mention pride. Personally, after studying Buddhism, I had a whammy of an epiphany on that one.

I now view pride as the worst of them. My revelation was particularly earth shattering because of all the sins, I thought at least pride wouldn't be one of them.

Turned out to be the sleeper, and pride had harmed my life for 33 years in ways I couldn't even imagine. So yeah, the pride one - regardless of status - is one that will resonate with me for the rest of my life.

Buddhism does a good job at distilling the seven deadly sins into desire and summarily destroying it.

If you want the exact opposite of capitalism, may I present exhibit A; Buddhism.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by CestLaVie

Why don't people experience satisfaction when their living expenses are covered and the have "enough?"

Try not to lose too much faith in human kind. It's a weary road we travel, these days, and these ideals have been ingrained in us from birth by parents who "only want the best" for us. It's true of course, but what starts as the best ends up for some as needing to be better.

There are still many of us who only want the simple things in life. Marriage, Children, a moderately sized home and enough money to feed our family and make happy memories with a vacation here and there.

I am satisfied with my life, and I would hope Guavas is as well. I do not desire much more than I have right now.

It is too bad that some are tainted with the mark of greed, and obtain what they want at the suffering of others...

...but without them, we would not be able to appreciate the good in the world.

[Edited: Me and my typo's]

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Sararainmaker]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by guavas

Someone said "Ignorance is bliss". And they were right.

I don't think the world is getting worse at all.

I think it is getting better, because a lot more people care about other people and animals and the environment.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sararainmaker

You do realize I revel in unintended consequences and irony, right?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by guavas

The more we know about the world, the worse it seems to get

Then you don't know much about this world....you may be learning about the people in the world and how they operate but not "the world."

The more you actually learn about the world, the more awesome a place it becomes.

It is the "people" of the world that are the problem,

Not the beasts, the plants, the geography, the weather or even the location.

It is people that ruin this perfect world...basically.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by guavas

Things could've always been this way, we just know about it faster and every time things happen.

In my opinion, the problem is lack of common sense or just plain acting on common sense. I don't care if the solution is PC or not, stop trying to make everyone happy and do your job!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Yes, it is the people who ruin it.

But the real people who ruin it are the warmongers.

And the greedy oil people.

They are probably one and the same.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
reply to post by guavas

Then you don't know much about this world.

The more I learn the more awesome a place it seems.

It is the "people" of the world that are the problem,

Not the beasts, the plants, the geography, the weather or even the location.

It is people that ruin this world.

I just basically said people are ruining this world. Which is what you just said. And your opening line is that I don't know about this world?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

In some ways the world has gotten better, I agree! We have morals today that excel above the morals of the past. People do care for each other more. But there is always a balance.

We have people now who excel, without trying, in being upstanding, amazing people. Heroes, if you will.... But on the other side of the coin, we have those who excel at cruelties that could never be imagined by the average person.

There are always two sides to the coin, and the bigger the heads is, the bigger the tails.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsAgentScully
reply to post by guavas

Things could've always been this way, we just know about it faster and every time things happen.

In my opinion, the problem is lack of common sense or just plain acting on common sense. I don't care if the solution is PC or not, stop trying to make everyone happy and do your job!

There is just no excuse with the amount of information available at hand. Policy isn't about common sense, it's about facts, data and logic.

new topics

top topics

join