It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal journalists suggest government shut down Fox News

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Comcast to buy control of NBC Universal in $30-billion transaction

Unlike over-the-air broadcast networks, cable channels have two streams of revenue: subscriber fees and advertising. Roberts said that 82% of the operating income of the new entity would come from cable channels. Five of NBC Universal's cable networks -- USA, Syfy, Bravo, CNBC and MSNBC -- generate $200 million a year or more each in operating income.

articles.latimes.com...

[edit on 21-7-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

I watch MSNBC as often as FOX. They do the same damned thing. The problem came from the government(who holds contracts with the parent company of MSNBC, i.e. GE) creating a media wing for themselves. The Neo-Cons did the same thing with Fox during the bush admin.

What we need here is LESS government involvement.

I see the problem here. We both know they lie. You believe they should be allowed to continue, I would like to see them taken down. With government having such a vested interest in the media corporations continuing to lie, and also being the only entity capable of forcing them to face penalties for lying, we have ourselves quite a little conundrum, don't we?

And as I pointed out several times in this very thread, I agree that all of the major news corporations are corrupt.

Why does everyone assume that if one hates Fox, then one must love MSNBC? Are you all that politically motivated in your thoughts? Can we not simply call liars liars?

EDIT to add: You never addressed my point.

Why should defamation laws not be applied to news media?

[edit on 21-7-2010 by drwizardphd]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

They're selling off NBC because it is losing money. This was a shareholder revolt. I remember this quite well. The prime complaint was Kieth Olbermann. After several months of back and forth I guess GE finally said "screw it".

Edit to add:
I never understood why Kieth was such a problem. Sure he's a raving Liberal, but he's entertaining as hell, and I've seen him nail both parties to the wall.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

I just don't want the government involved. ALL media lies, as you said. It is up to you to discover the truth. The government can't do that for you, all they can do is tell their own lies.

Perhaps there could be a case for libel or defamation of character. But no such charges have been filed, and likely would never hold water in a court of law.

Matter of fact this has already made it to the supreme court and the decision was that government can't really do anything about it outside of case by case basis. You can't legislate the truth out of people. That's just draconian, but you can take action, at an individual level, if you are the one being defamed by any particular organization or company.

The government can't and should NOT cast a wide net just to see what it catches. If the government can determine what is and isn't a lie then at the end of that rope will be everyone of us hanging from the rafters of the Ministry of Truth.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I agree, although I hate the spin that these news outlets give, I don't think the government getting involved is the answer.

Then you end up like Cuba or North Korea, where the news you get, is what Castro or the Fat Midget want you to get. And it had BETTER not be critical of the government.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
This is not the first time that a news organization has taken on the federal government, nor will it be the last. Any more the news organizations often have commentators that will give a particular point of view, though the better ones will take a look and do a good deal of back ground research, to use the facts to prove a point. But way too often, things are ignored or forced to take out of context, so the different news organizations have provided a bias view. When the Republicans are in the majority, the channel to pay closer attention to would be MSN, as they will provide the opposing point of view, while Fox is going to be against the Democrats. This has come around since the time of Edward R. Murrow, when he used his show to take down Senator Joseph McCarthy. Yet unlike Edward R. Murrow, who had no vested insterest in anything but the truth, the other news networks these days do.
Money is what makes things work, including the news Agencies.
Dissent is not disloyalty and as long as the evidence and facts support the arguments, it is not lieing to the general population.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
To the people who defend FOX News and other news organizations right to lie.... Only a moron would defend a lying news organization and call it free speech.

That's just dumb and masochistic.

Why not teach kids in school that 2+2=2 and babies come from pixie dust and Columbus discovered America on the back of cereal box? News is our education on current events. It's what tells us what the F is happening around the world, and you want to say they can blatantly lie and manipulate us and be protected under free speech?

Please don't be dumb.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by spiritualzombie]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
Fox news should be shut down. (In fairness, so should all of the other mainstream networks).

Purposefully reporting news incorrectly as often as they do should be a crime.

However, I would be appeased if they simply had to change their name from "Fox News" to "Fox Entertainment" and there was a banner flashing across the top of the screen at all times that read "Fox Entertainment does not accurately report information. Any and all statements made by Fox Entertainment should be assumed to be false or incorrect."

You would have made Hitler proud. Who decides what is truth? And is truth subjective? Maybe you need to rethink this a little bit.

All speech is protected. Like it or not. That is why it is free.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
So, in your mind so-called news organizations have no responsibility to tell the truth. You allow them to manipulate your mind, and defend them against anyone who would have them do otherwise.

You make Hitler proud for defending a blatant unapologetic arrogant propaganda machine and calling it free speech.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Well I for one kind of like it the way it's always been. Why do we always feel it necessary to change everything all the time? I'm a big boy, I'm all growed up I think I can decide for myself who is fibbing and who is telling the truth. The last thing this country needs is people in the gobment telling them how to report news and how to think. Seriously do people really lose sleep over weather Fox news or CNN is telling the story in their own point of view? Thats why when the T.V. was invented they also invented different channels so one could change the channel if they didn't agree with what they were watching. Same with the internet you don't like what a site has to offer don't go there. Someone really needs to lower the flouride dosage because this country is getting dummer by the second..

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
If it's okay for news organizations to lie and manipulate people, why are any of us here on this forum?

It would seem by that rationale, that there would really be no such thing as a conspiracy, or a falsehood... There is only free speech.

Free speech to say whatever they want to say in their official stories... and the subjective left/right truth of what happens behind closed doors.

Their free speech to lie to us and divide us. Free speech to manipulate us without any real respect for American citizens. Is it their free speech to turn us against each other with reckless manipulation that makes this country so great!?!

Free speech to tell us it is or is not man-made global warming, free speech to tell us it was 9 hijackers, free speech tell us they really really need the 700 billion dollars.

If you think the media is allowed to lie and manipulate under free speech, then you must also be okay with every lie out there, under the same rule of free speech.

There is a time for rational thinking.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join