It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The soundtrack of life, your life is not a movie.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The soundtrack of life, your life is not a movie.
The soundtrack of life, these are the songs that when you hear them remind you of the day you and your buddies went to the beach and met those pretty girls and stayed all day to enjoy the bonfire later on that night.
Or how you felt that day when the girl you thought you were in love with absolutely dumped you.
These are songs that cue a memory of your past and the emotion becomes as real as the taste of a piece of chocolate.
When I was in high school years, err eons ago I found myself in my senior year with a bit of open class space so I took some filler classes, 4 of them in a 7 class day.
One of the most rewarding was Music appreciation.
This was a new idea put out by the band teacher who was a virtuoso, if it made a sound or pitch he could play it. So when I say the man knew his music I truly mean he did and still does.
In this class I think we had 3 written assignments all of the year, but the idea of the class was to listen to music.
You will immediately say cool “I do this everyday I’m educated now!”
No maybe not because as well as listening we would virtually dissect a song, we would learn how the song sounded with parts of it removed percussion, vocals, baselines, rhythmic claps, Etc.
We learned that a song that was a top 40 song would sound rather bland without 1 part or another, but I think the most valuable part I got from this class is the emotion that music makes us feel.
Music is much more powerful than we realize on the surface.
Did you ever wonder why when you are angry with company xyz and on hold for customer service that they don’t play Metallica or Iron Maiden?
The music these bands play makes you feel anxious or angry it has a very aggressive pace to it. Why do we never hear mellow music when we work out at the Gold’s gym but top 40?
Music sets the mood is why these things happen or don’t.
In movies let’s use a high school favorite of mine, Top Gun! Just thinking of the name of that movie brings back many excellent and sad moments of my teen years and they all tie into music.
Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins, how many of us old fools here ever hear this song on the radio and come to our senses realizing that we were flying driving down the road at 70 MPH…..over the listed speed limit?
It is because subconsciously we were flying a F-14 Tomcat for a moment in our heads.
I can give you a list of specific emotions and feelings I tie into specific songs, but I would bore you even more than I currently am.
Now in television the music industry will test out new music on shows to see how people receive it, they will also put certain songs that give a general feeling into strategic places in the show. There is a reason why we feel in an aggressive mood when the hero or heroine beats the bad guy to a pulp, or why we feel sad when there is a montage totally void of script lines.
Music is our friendly manipulator, it tells us how to feel or react when we hear it.
These same tactics are used on us everyday and we don’t even realize it.
At times I will realize I am in situations and feeling a certain way and listen to hear what song is on the speakers, I will then realize that song is more or less probably why I am feeling the way I currently was.
So, next time you are watching a television show or shopping or working out or watching the newest documentary from your favorite fearmonger, STOP and just listen to the music, see if that is what is making you feel the way you do.
And then realize that you are in fact being manipulated.
As the Doobie Brothers said, and I quote: “Whoa hoa hoa Listen to the music”
Can anyone list a song that ties into a certain memory or feeling from their present or past?
Please share.
Cue the sad slow music as I walk away.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Well, every time I hear the song Hurt, by Johnny Cash, I am reminded of all the older peoples I had come to know and love. Most of them have passed away now, or are on the precipice of death. I am saddened by this, but take comfort in knowing that they have made their peace.

I loved the ideas presented in your post, I have been thinking about this alot lately. It's very unusual to know that songs can be imprinted onto memories of feelings.
Starred and Flagged!

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Help me out here folks open your hearts not your wallets.
I have stars and flags but no replies.
No S or F needed.
I would love to hear what song makes you feel what way, or jusst tell me I am a frakkin looney!
Fire away.
Thanks.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Negotium of Verum

Thank you, that is exactly what I am looking for.
The Johnny Cash version of hurt does much in the same for me, I also think of Johnnies wife who died shortly before the song was published.
And that this song even though was not written by him seemed to be the deepest look into the man. very strong feelings there.
Thank you again.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Cool subject

I happen to be a big time music collector, have been most of my life since I was a kid (I'm 42 now). I collected 45's (remember those?) and now most of what I like is on my computer...that being well over 25,000 songs.
Music can rekindle a long lost memory, or can take you back to where you were when you first heard the song.
There are just so so many songs to list that each have their own special meaning to me, but for me has to be songs from the 80's era, particularly the early to mid 80's, when I was in high school.
A few that give me a smile on my face:
Puttin' On The Ritz by Taco, Der Kommisar by After The Fire, Heart to Heart by Kenny Loggins, and Dirty Laundry by Don Henley are ones that take me back to my video game playing, no worries and carefree time of my life.
Each person has their own "era" but this was one of MANY era's in my life which take me back to my nervous, insecure times as a teen where friends ruled and music was at it's peak.
Put on any 80's song and each has it's own memory to me.
Every person has their own special time and song(s).

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

It's as if he took Trent's song, and made it his own in a way no one else could.
2nd line

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ghr54321

Agreed, and I am too a person stuck musically in the 80’s
All of the songs you listed did something for me and brought back some memories.
Sitting in my buddy James room smoking cigarettes listening to “Dirty Laundry”
Talking of our ambitions to build a band.
Man we were gonna wear spandex and mascara and…. Oops I guess I really don’t wanna share that one as it seems embarrassing nowadays.
Good stuff thank you.

(Edit)
You said 45's
We need Mr. Peabody and his wayback machine to speak of those.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by g146541]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Funny you post this because of recent flashback in regards exactly to the subject raised.
The year involved is 1971 in SoCal...I'm 12 years old live on a cul-del-sac withba bunch of baby bommer's so sports minded we held our own Olympics games with ribbons for gold, silver and bronze running events.
The Smiths have three boys who make money doing the paper route. They buy used TR-4's and spend hours repairing them after driving them too hard. One day, the TR's are gone and replaced by BMW 2002 TI's with Bosch stereo's...serious driving machines!
One of the Smith boys was learning to play golf as well as me. We would drive his BMW to several nice golf courses, including one in Chino Hills called Los Serranos which had a long twisty road to navigate thru cattle ranches and open space. We listened to his cassette tape player instead of the local radio.
A few months ago, I started recalling small tidbits of which artist he saved for this road on every trip out there. The tidbits are flute music by an artist who was the forerunner of Kenny G level of jazz artist. So searching Youtube for Kenny G and electronic flute leads you to this artist...Tim Weisberg, an A&M Records artist. I eventually find the Smith boy's favorite song, Kings Highway...I want the CD I say!
So I search iTunes, but no early albums in digital CD whatsoever.
I think about my sealed box of LP's that I haven't opened since 1985, could I have any of those in my measely 20 LP collection aborted when a mover swiped my player.
With only the slimest of hope I opened that box a month ago and was stunned that I had every Tim Weisberg album from the 1970's and 1980's.
So what ancient piece of equipment do I need to buy?
A Phonagraph player!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Granite

That rocks!
Stacks of wax ddo not play as clearly as cd's do but there is a depth in their sound, for lack of a better word, Wholesome?
They would crackle and pop but there is just something undissmissable about the LP.
Thank you for the story.
I get so much off of this, acting like a happiness parasite i guess.
As I read other peoples stories I am getting hit with old good memories and it is almost like just the memories are giving me a positive push.
Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
The song Kick Start My Heart makes me think of riding on the hood of my buddy's car at 70 mph in freezing rain. Oh, the good old days.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

OMG! what a stupid thing to do!!!

Yeah I miss doing those things but being an old flatulant makes me visibly see my mortality.
Nowadays I would pass out if in that sort of a situation.
Good times though, thanks for the story.

Kids, do not try this at home, or anywhere else.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

OK, a song that really resonates with me is "The whole of the Moon" by the Waterboys.

It says that I see a crescent, but you see the whole of the moon - meaning that this person sees things, but the person who sees the whole is amazing.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
"Love will tear us apart again" joy division

and "perfect Skin" lloyd cole & the commotions

top topics

join