It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish kill covers shore in Gulfport near Jones Park

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Fish kill covers shore in Gulfport near Jones Park

www.wlox.com

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - Something besides oil washed ashore along a section of beach in Gulfport. Construction workers at Jones Park called WLOX Monday morning with news about a fish kill.

You could smell the problem before seeing it. Dead menhaden, or pogeys, washed ashore along the beach.

The large fish kill created quite a mess. Piles of the small, silvery fish cover much of the shoreline just east of Jones Park from 15th Avenue to Moses Pier.

While many laid baking in the late morning sun, others were pushed ashore by the gentle surf.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This may not have even been caused by the oil spill, according to the Harrison county sand beach director. I would think something like this was probably related to the oil spill either directly or indirectly. It could've been a "red tide" I guess. I hope there is an update to tell us the results of the tests to see what these fish died of.

www.wlox.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I'm afraid that this is just the beginning. The goberment may seize this opportunity to evacuate the area related to toxicity.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Logic tells me if the oil were responsible, visible oil would accompany the fish to shore being carried by the same currents. The Red Tide makes more sense.

I saw that once on the Salton Sea when I was young. Went there with some family to fish and camp and the whole shore was full of dead Corvina. There were glimpses of reddish colored water in the lake.

Although it does resemble the pictures of the dead Hulligans (Smelt) after Valdez.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
they say they are not sure if this is related to the oil spill or not, the only question i can come up with is, "has it happened before when there wasn't oil everywhere?

top topics

join