It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learn how to make a stealth bomber!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Don't be silly - if it was that easy everyone would have them. The things you found are unclassified because everyone knows these are the methods materials used. Plus, there is a lot more that goes into making a stealth aircraft then a hull design and some materials.

And don't forget - these planes were designed 20 years ago...

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by flyby
I wanted to see how dumb the US really is and I decided to find out what could be obtained legally on defense web sites. Take my recent case study: the hull of the stealth bomber.

From Lockheed Martin, I found out the stealth was made by a carbon epoxy hull

From this site I have determined the stealth is made from a graphite fiber and an epoxy resin.

Despite my knowledge of the military orders, from what I can make, the timing and suggestion of this article could lead to the suggestion that the stealth bomber could be made up of similar chemicals.

[edit on 16-6-2004 by flyby]

That's not all you need to know to make a stealth plane.

Stealth planes are designed to deviate by reflecting radar signals, and not, like some people think, to absorb radars waves. Coatings are important, sure. But they don't do everything.

1- A plane to be stealth must be designed "as flat as possible" (like b-2)
2- Triangular shape (see f-117) design reflects micro-waves behind the plane instead of sending signals back to the radar.
3- To be stealth, even a stleath plane like b-2 or f-117 must fly to a low altitude.
4- Coatings, like epoxy-carbons for example, but made in bee-wax structures polymers can "absorb" micro-waves signals.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Low Observable technology is a complex synthesis of many factors. RAM is available commercially, but the real trick is shaping. For years the US tried to build a stealth aircraft. The early U-2 program had Project Rainbow, which they called the "dirty birds" basically had fiberglass or bamboo poles stuck out from the wings and body of the aircraft and strung with wire to try to reduce the radar cross section. I'm not sure how well it worked at that but it certainly reduced the operational altitude of the U-2.

With the advent of the A-12 family which includes the SR-71 they found a paint containing microscopic iron balls would help absorb radar, in combination of wedge shaped panels in the wing leading edge consisting of asbestos and other materials, the radar hit a v shaped trap bouncing between the titanium mounting and the composite RAM, the first application of a radar absorbing structure in an aircraft. It was found though that the exhaust plume of those monster J58's would have a radar return of their own believe it or not, and its hard to disquise a sonic boom even from 80 thousand feet.

Ben Rich said stealth was a multidiscipline technology, radar, acoustic (quiet is good), smoke (don't ever call an F-4 a stealthy plane then), infrared (gotta love heat seeking missiles, not), and appearance, smaller tends to be better visually, but the funny thing about what they discovered is in general, although there are variances on radar wavelength hitting resonances on wing span length and other parts of the aircraft affecting RCS, the size to radar is largely dependant on shape, not size. Gus Grissom was a test pilot of a Lockheed F-80 Shooting Star covered with experimental absorbing material, it was heavy and handled like a pig, and because of its conventional shape the results were less than acceptable.

Application of radar absorbing material in a true stealth aircraft to reduce weight must be to integrate it right into the structure, so called parasitic RAM, like on the early F-117's, was in sheets much like linoleum flooring, glued to the airframe, on occasion tended to delaminate and fall off.

General rules to make a stealth aircraft

Planform alignment, you'll notice that they try to make as many angles coincide as possible in a stealth aircraft, on B-2, wing leading edge and trailing angles are identical, similar effects go down to maintanance and weapons by doors on F-117, the zigzag pattern, the zigs match the angle of other parts of the aircraft to concentrate the limited radar return in directions its unlikely to be detected. Stealth is absorb if possible, reflect where necessary.

Proper operating, The F-117 actually flies at a medium altitude, it is a so called cold bottom, hot top design, the top of the aircraft is not as stealthy as the flat bottom, its mission role is also as a light bomber, low altitude would do nothing for combat radius and make it easier to detect acoustically. All low observable aircraft have a margin against certain radars and they are more effective at some and less at others. Very low frequency radars can detect a stealth aircraft, but it is still difficult to track it, those low freq radars are plotted carefully and routes are taken to avoid detection, stealth isn't about invisibility, its not the Klingon Cloaking device, but it is a big help. There is a range in which any stealth aircraft will be detected by radar, the key is its at a low enough range that the attacking aircraft is able to get close enough to the target to engage it sucessfully.

As for making your own aircraft, maybe you'd have to read a physics textbook on Maxwells electrical laws and make a program like the Skunk Works did back in the 70s, then make something out of wood and carbon dust sandwich. Don't believe me? The German Horton Model 9 did that in WW2, the first unheralded stealth aircraft.

The technology is secret, but the theory behind it is not, good luck!

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
if that is all it takes to build a stealth bomber why do u think they cost 2Billion each and dont u think every country would have one by now if it was that easy.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Great flyby you found out that the hull of the JSF contains plastics and glue. How very perceptive of you. You sure shown the U.S how dumb they are.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'll try and represent ASCII graphically what the 'paint' on a Stealth does (I apologise in advance):

Forgive the picture, anyway the paint has hexagonal holes in it that waves go into hitting the angular base and ricocheting (spelling) around the hole until it disipates (spelling).

EDIT: won't let me write it without wordwrapping. Plus too lazy to find proper pic.

[edit on 17-6-2004 by Ezekial]

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekial
I'll try and represent ASCII graphically what the 'paint' on a Stealth does (I apologise in advance):

Forgive the picture, anyway the paint has hexagonal holes in it that waves go into hitting the angular base and ricocheting (spelling) around the hole until it disipates (spelling).

EDIT: won't let me write it without wordwrapping. Plus too lazy to find proper pic.

[edit on 17-6-2004 by Ezekial]

BEE-WAX structure :

(I've made this pic, just to give you an idea, but it's more complex than that...)

[edit on 18-6-2004 by Nans DESMICHELS]

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   
There are two diffrents stealth strategies :

The F-117 stealth is reflective. Some people say that a small picture is better than all words..; Here it is :

You see ?

In this case, the coating must be fluid. We had problems with the f-117 stealth system because the 1st coating had a tendency to absorb water, and the f-117 loosed his stealth under rain or over the sea. We re-deisgned coatings to a more compact polymer structure.

The b-2 strategy is different. B-2 is designed to be the more "flat" possible. And also to absorb radars waves instead of deviating them.

I can't make you another draw because my upload account is full...
...but it's on the b-2 that bee-wax structures coatings are used.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS
There are two diffrents stealth strategies :

The F-117 stealth is reflective. Some people say that a small picture is better than all words..; Here it is :

You see ?

In this case, the coating must be fluid. We had problems with the f-117 stealth system because the 1st coating had a tendency to absorb water, and the f-117 loosed his stealth under rain or over the sea. We re-deisgned coatings to a more compact polymer structure.

The b-2 strategy is different. B-2 is designed to be the more "flat" possible. And also to absorb radars waves instead of deviating them.

I can't make you another draw because my upload account is full...
...but it's on the b-2 that bee-wax structures coatings are used.

Close, but not quite right. Remember, Radar "Sees" the plane head on or tail on most of the time, because of the mission flight profile that they use. The key part of the B-2's stealth strategy is called minmal intersection. In other words the B-2 is design so most of the radar waves pass around the plane with out deflecting OR reflecting. this creates the illusion that there is no radar target at all. the reason this works is because Radar is made of electromagnetic wave, just like light. This means it can be bent without being reflected. The fact that radar can bend, means under certin conditions you can bend it without changing it's direction of travel.

If all the technical stuff above has you unsure of what I'm trying to say about bending light, try this:

Take a clear glass, a pitcher of water, and a straw(colored if possible). Place the straw in the empty glass ( It appears normal). Now fill the glass with water. The straw should appear to be bent where it meets the water. This is because the light bends when it enters the water, without being refected, which is why the water is clear.

That is a simplified illistration of the B-2's stealth principle.

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

[edit on 18-6-2004 by ghost]

new topics

top topics

join