It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70.000 Blogs Shut Down Due To Terrorism Support

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

70.000 Blogs Shut Down Due To Terrorism Support

tecnologia.terra.com.br

"The Blogetery.com platform was closed just because links to bomb making instructions and Al Qaeda were found. after that, the US government decided that the host service was working in favor of the global terrorism and closed the hosting service, withou prior notice"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well, well, well, if isn´t the same bull# terrorism excuse again. But this time things are pretty different. They shut down an entire blogging website, because of a couple threads? Where are the proofs? and what about the freedom of speech?(it´s gone after the patriotic act) so by the time you read this we can have ATS days counted. All they need is a small comment on terrorism or any conspiracy that consist in going againts the stablishment to shut down this website without warning. Isn´t that great? You come to ATS tomorrow and it´s gone, our freedom to talk about everything is gone. Where r we going to gather all this people again? it will take some time. maybe a couple years to stabilish another reliable source. Let´s start thinking on plan B, is anybody willing to create a mail group so if anything happens we can send and E-mail to everybody "ATS has moved to www.wayabovetopsecret.com"
'cmon people, we are having our freedom cut on the internet too. Wikileaks is under control, thedaylybeast was bought, clock is ticking. tic tac, tic tac, all they need their will and that´s it.

tecnologia.terra.com.br (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I think ATS needs to change it's T&Cs disallowing call to arms.

But it is stupid though, closing an entire blog site?

That's like closing an entire forum because of a few threads.
That's like closing a city because there are two burglars there.

Seriously, tell the govt. to keep it's paranoia to itself!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Wow, I can't believe there aren't more responses to this thread.

Don't you think ATS would be there next likely target?

I don't get how they could have shut down all blogs. How difficult could it have been to shut down the problem pages.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
If ATS is shut down, a few of the regular skeptics might raise an eyebrow.

I do think ATS is not far off. Maybe not next.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Ah, I wouldn't worry about ATS being shut down for its weirdness or anymore blogs and their terrors of truth. What's wrong with sharing the `trade secret` of the fire gods? Surely, these monkeys would know by now that there are more powerful tools of the trade compared to mere bomb making instructions.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
It's unfortunate...

We are too passive and too distant to do anything about it..A damn shame if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
BBC article

The BBC report that American citizens were named and targeted for assassination by al-Qaeda as well as messages from Osama bin Laden and other leaders of the terrorist organisation.

Going back to bomb making instructions, well you are only a Google search away from such information. Anyone remember the Jolly Rogers Cookbook?

Edit: Typo

[edit on 21-7-2010 by LarryLove]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
Ah, I wouldn't worry about ATS being shut down for its weirdness or anymore blogs and their terrors of truth. What's wrong with sharing the `trade secret` of the fire gods? Surely, these monkeys would know by now that there are more powerful tools of the trade compared to mere bomb making instructions.

You really don't get it, do you.

"They" are not the monkey ...... YOU ARE !!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
They close the blogs because of bomb making instructions.

This is not because of terrorist because they have plenty of bomb making sites on hosts outside the US.

There are 100s of sites in the US on how to make home made explosives.

Some of these sites are even US university sites.

web.mit.edu...

There is no secrets to making explosives.
The secret is staying alive while making them.

As for Al Qaeda sites why shut them down instead of tracking and watching people that go to the sites.
This would give you more intelligence on Al Qaeda in the US and make it easyer to find Al Qaeda sleepers.

Sometime i don't believe the government has any intelligence at all.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by nostringsonme

Ah...almost just posted this news but looked once more and found this. The more recent stories say 73,000 so it didn't show up in search.

Anyway, I find it very odd that they would shut down 73,000 blogs simply because they found a few suspect ones. Seems to me as though this is more about making a statement of control than an actual necessity.

Unless of course this was an overreaction to the FBI request by the site operators, as they seem to have stated. Big overreation, in my opinion.

Burst.net gave PC World the following statement:

On the evening of July 9, 2010, BurstNET received a notice of a critical nature from law enforcement officials, and was asked to provide information regarding ownership of the server hosting Blogetery.com. It was revealed that a link to terrorist material, including bomb-making instructions and an al-Qaeda 'hit list', had been posted to the site. Upon review, BurstNET determined that the posted material, in addition to potentially inciting dangerous activities, specifically violated the BurstNET Acceptable Use Policy. This policy strictly prohibits the posting of 'terrorist propaganda, racist material, or bomb/weapon instructions'. Due to this violation and the fact that the site had a history of previous abuse, BurstNET elected to immediately disable the system.

Bomb making instructions are all over the web...should we be expecting random total site shutdowns sporadically from now on?

[edit on 7/21/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
You establish a secondary website in another country. As Alex Jones says, it's about info wars. So in a way, abovetopsecret.com could become abovetopsecret2.com if they close it down, it could become abovetopsecret3 and so forth.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Yep. Thats like destroying a country to get one guy, TWICE.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2
Wow, I can't believe there aren't more responses to this thread.

Don't you think ATS would be there next likely target?

I don't get how they could have shut down all blogs. How difficult could it have been to shut down the problem pages.

I too am surprised by the lack of response to this thread. Unless of course this was dealt with elsewhere on ATS when the news broke a few days back.

It reminds me of the fact that no one is taking any notice of the UK Govt currently using anti-terror legislation to rush through laws to allow corporations to set up and run schools with curriculums solely of their choice. I can see it now, your whole school life and education aimed at preparing you for a life of serving your corporation. The corporate serf is born.

This is a precedent setting move by the US Government. From what I can gather they just impounded the server and therefore every blog. I believe there's a case for compensation and litigation for those that earn their living from the many squeaky clean blogs that must also have been on that server.

I think it's time ATS changed it's hosting so that the site is no longer hosted on US servers. Iceland would seem to be a good alternative.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by spookfish]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It's all about the mods or lack thereof, imo.

Here at ATS, we have freedom with limits, which are called T & C, but they are only as effective as the mods make them.

Without moderators and moderation of threads that don't meet our T & C, we also would be shut down.

If the mods on that blog site had been on their game, this never would have happened, but the whole site being shut down tells me its administration didn't do their job, or at least, didn't police their threads for this type of content.

Either they are not against it, which is bad, or they refused to mod properly, allowing the site's users to take it over.

Everyone cannot be allowed such a platform! Who among us has what it takes to organize and establish another ATS, for example?

The ones that established and maintain it are not just anyone, any more than you or I are just anyone to our family, friends, employers, etc.

We each have roles we play, and for different reasons, we play distinct roles sometimes, like being a firefighter, a teacher, a therapist, a judge, or a website admin.

If our admin went downhill, or AWOL, it would be a very short time until ATS shut ITSELF down. Moderators exist for a reason! Humans need organization, not tyranny, just structure.

And we all get over the line sometimes, so who can argue with the need for mods?
If there aren't any, obviously SOMEONE would have to shut down the site.

We have a lot of smart people here, but also a lot of people desperate and determined to get answers, which are not so forthcoming, or are very alarming. This is going to lead to minor chaos, which should be allowed to vent or rant and then get back to civilization again, which is exactly what good mods help to happen faster.

Without them, ATS would be very dangerous indeed.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
i was waiting on a thread like this wow..... wtf i damn near can't say anything but dig deeper.... follow the money and we will see why alot of # happens

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove
BBC article

The BBC report that American citizens were named and targeted for assassination by al-Qaeda as well as messages from Osama bin Laden and other leaders of the terrorist organisation.

Going back to bomb making instructions, well you are only a Google search away from such information. Anyone remember the Jolly Rogers Cookbook?

Edit: Typo

[edit on 21-7-2010 by LarryLove]

Hehe, I had some fun with that little document as a kid! I wish I still had a copy, but I'd probably get arrested as a terrorist!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
its just like if you tell someone that you are going to kill them. You will be taken to jail reguardless of your "freedom" of speech. Nothing major, once again ATS blowing things way outta porportion

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Eventually, and very soon, I suspect that all of our blogging interactions will focus entirely on discussions of what various celebrities are doing, i.e. whose screwing who, etc., new hair styles, and various stores on the internet where we can buy coooooool things, like celebrity fashions and books about how to get women into bed.
Welcome to the future !!!!
What is someone did issue a formal call to arms? What do you think would actually happen, other than some quesling from the internet control team fussing at you.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I would get an immediate website happening out of Iceland.

Gotta think ahead on this....time is of essence

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join