It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! Lucid Dream addict looking for his next score

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I had had a few lucid dreams , not knowing what they were , and mentioned them to a friend one day , who was well versed in the subject .

He explained to me what was going on and suggested that I try the journal .

As with any new regimen , it was sporadic at first . I actually had to 'train' myself to wake up after each dream , in order to write down the description of the dream .

Seemed like a lot of work to start with but , the more I practiced this , the easier it became . Once I fell into the routine of doing this , my dreams became more vivid , I recalled them much easier , and lucid dreaming became less laborious .

Don't recall how long it took to become adept at this but , seems like it was 3-4 weeks . Like I say , it's what worked best for me , even after buying several books on techniques that are supposed to induce .

Hopefully this will work for you as well . Keep in mind that it is something that requires strict adherence and determination .

Good luck .

ETA: I've had people who have told me that they don't dream 'in color' . Don't know what is up with that , as I've always dreamed in color .

I have come to realize that if I focus on the color 'blue' , this somehow helps me to remain lucid for longer periods of time .

[edit on 20-7-2010 by okbmd]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Yeah the hands thing is great, but also try to DO something with your hands, such as a lightswitch.

And I agree, pharmaceuticals suck horribly, but I kicked my 17 year smoking habit in 3 months with this thing, so I was impressed.

It's only drug I will advocate.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I'm in the same boat I'm afraid, but last night for some reason was different. I'm trying to backtrack exactly what I ate what I did before sleep.

I know I watched 3 episodes of Peep Show right before I fell asleep (A British comedy not an actual peep show
) which is filmed entirely in first person perspective. Perhaps this first person camera technique had something to do with visualising myself in alternate realities. As the show completely immerses you in the thoughts and feelings of the two main protagonists.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

A monochrome dream? That would be pretty freaky, would love to experience one though!

I'm going to start a dream journal and I think I will use the first few nights/ weeks as more of an analysis. See if there are any striking consistences between the dreams, such as colours as you mentioned or characters. Then use these as signposts for future experiences.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Simple.

When you are in a dream, look at your hands and remind yourself it is a dream.

At that point, you can do whatever you wish.

Whenever you are dreaming, you should know you're dreaming.

That's all you need. Then you can control anything you want.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by Rthaothal]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
in doing a quick search of champix, i found a bunch of claims that leads the user to behavior changes, depression, and even suicide. i would probably recommend you prepare yourself to be mentally and psychologically ready to take on those intense lucid dreams youre craving.

sounds like the effect the movie avatar had on a load of people who wished pandora was the real world and were depressed and suicidal because of it.

source

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Alright folks here is my Lucid Dream Plan.

First and foremost the Dream Journal. Probably the most therapeutic and important element in the process. With this I will document dream states and analyse them to discover consistencies which can then in turn be used as my signposts.

Second the Wake Up Call. I will use this to awaken myself before I have slept fully, then return to sleep hoping to transcend between REM, to drowsy consciousness to full sleep again.

Before each nights sleep I will eat some cheese on toast. Delicious and necessary

Lastly I will use the consistencies to 'awaken' myself, most likely I will try the hand technique as my first signpost. From there I will be able to develop a stronger connection to the dream.

Hopefully I will discover thing about my subconscious that I never new, such as a colour tint that all my dreams contain, or a talisman unique to me.

Thanks to everyone for contributing please feel free to continue adding. I will let you know how I get on in my journey into the subconscious dream world.

The first night of my experiment will be Wednesday the 21st July 2010. Wish me luck!

Happy Dreaming

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Cheese and medications make you're dreams vivid not lucid, they are totally different things.

A lucid dream is simply a dream you know is a dream.

I'm telling you, all you need to do is know you're actually dreaming and you can do whatever you wish.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rthaothal

As yes but why not try and have both, a Vivid and Lucid dream. Double the fun!

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Yeah, but chances are if you load up on cheese before you go to sleep you'll have a vivid nightmare, those aren't fun.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I dont lucid dream but my dreams are always off the wall and crazy.

However I have only had one lucid dream in my life and I REALLY really want to have them again, but the last time I did was years ago. Any advice on how to get it back??????

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Sounds like a good plan . With effort , you can get to the point that you can awaken yourself in between each and every dream , writing as quickly as you can recall . This is important , you must do this .

You will be amazed at what your notes will tell you after your head is cleared . Thinking about your dreams conciously , plants the right seeds into your subconcious .

You will see patterns emerge which you become able to recognize in subsequent dreams , that will trigger lucidity at the immediate moment of recognition . Any consistent colors , numbers , or symbols make for good signposts .

Happy Trails

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Any advice on how to do this? Ive done it once before but it never happened again.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

You wrote down all your dreams, but what did it tell you , did you learn any thing or is it to private.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuckyMe777
Any advice on how to do this? Ive done it once before but it never happened again.
One method is, before you go to sleep tell yourself you are going to become aware, wake-up in dream but remain asleep.
I close my eyes and walk into dream, sometimes I get bored and fall asleep.
The other night was all these demons , all female ones, old ones, young ones, one was sitting by my door in real world, I was like half asleep, half awake, the one by door wanted to get frienly, but I don't go there.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging LonerIt was not until I was gunned down by a helicopter that I awoke from my first lucid dream last night

What woke you up in that instance was an unstable archetype. Reliable dream control comes from using stable well established archetypes. The problem with dying in dreams is that the concept of dying is really just a big question mark for most of us. Our subconscious doesn't know what comes next, and can't come up with what to create next. Like a computer program that call an incomplete or missing subroutine, causing the program to crash.

BTW, if you ignore those bullets, they can't affect you. Everything requires your attention to exist in dreams. It's not a matter of believing it, it's a matter of focusing your attention.

If waking up during lucids is your problem, then you need to stabilize your surroundings. Many people recommend spinning, but this can be problematic as it's disorienting. Again, everything requires your attention to exist, and you can't focus properly on your surroundings if you're dizzy. The key element in the spinning technique is the sense of vigorous movement. You can get that sense of movement from running, jumping or flying. Movement requires a balance of attention between you and your environment, which will anchor you in the dream.

"The Hands Thing"
This is a very misunderstood technique that originated from the books of Carlos Castaneda. Those books no doubt helped popularize lucid dreaming, and many lucid dreamers pass on that technique with no idea of the principles behind it. Commonly people say that looking at or rubbing your hands will help stabilize the dream.

There is nothing special about your hands. It was just a random task assigned assigned to Castaneda by his teacher. It could have been his elbow or his belly button. What he was supposed to learn from that was to remember to do tasks he set in the waking world, and also learn about the effects focused attention has in dreams.

Originally posted by Mike Stivic
My lucid dreams usually consist of me levitating, and when i realize i am in control of it i wake up..

I call that "Introversion". Everything requires your attention to exist in dreams, including your surroundings. When most new lucid dreamers realize they are dreaming, the thrill of it and the sudden realization of what that implies causes the dreamer's attention to rush inwards, focusing on inner thoughts. This doesn't leave enough attention to sustain your surroundings, they fade away, and the dreamer wakes.

Once you learn to manage your attention, that won't be a problem anymore.

Originally posted by okbmd
I have been flying in my dreams for my entire life .

Problem is , every time I go to 'land' , I crash . Every single time . Don't know what it means .

Did you by any chance watch the show "Greatest American Hero" when you were young? Was about a guy who couldn't fly very well.

Anyways, I watched it at a young age, and that show was probably the first time I saw someone flying. I suspect that by watching at such a young age, I somehow modeled my personal archetype of flying on the character from that show. I still have the occasional problems flying to this day that are very similar to what happened in that show.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

i know the mind is capable of many great things but ive tried that. no luck =[

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LuckyMe777

Hello lucky sorry for late reply was in another world with some weird dreams.

Why not try the plan I laid out above and join me on the adventure, I did my first night last night and although the dreams were quite mundane it was still really clear, but unfortunately I did not become 'aware' and I still could not fully control what was happening. Quite unusual really considering I spent all last night before bed discussing it, yet as soon as I went to sleep I forgot all the things I was going to try.

I do remember the dreams very clearly with the aid of writing them down, what I did find unusual was that in my first dream last night I went to the doctors to complain about a sore throat, and no joking today I have some sort of swollen lymph node in my neck...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

Thanks for the awesome info! I particularly like your thoughts on creating stable archetypes, and I think you are on to something with the death scenario.
I find this a very interesting concept, shows us that even our subconscious cannot be certain of an afterlife. I wonder what happens in dreams of those who have convinced themselves they are certain of an afterlife? Do they dream of heaven?

Maybe when we die we wake up to another plain of consciousness.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
I wonder what happens in dreams of those who have convinced themselves they are certain of an afterlife? Do they dream of heaven?

That's exactly what happens. And the see and angel and think they are blessed. But it's only a reflection of their own personal reality.

Sometime I play too many video games and get a sort of "game over" screen when I die in dreams. The whole scene will just freeze. The repetition of video games creates very stable archetypes. Especially cheap free flash based games, which are more repetitive than most. The repetition reinforces a particular outcome.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join