It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God being Omnipotent is impossible.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
God being Omnipotent is impossible.

Main Entry: 1om·nip·o·tent 
Pronunciation: \-tənt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin omnipotent-, omnipotens, from omni- + potent-, potens potent
Date: 14th century
1 often capitalized : almighty 1
2 : having virtually unlimited authority or influence

Think about the unlimited influence that God is said to have.

I submit that it is limited.

He could not influence Satan to not turn evil.
He could not influence the third of angels that followed Satan to remain faithful to Him.
He could not influence Adam and Eve away from eating of the tree of knowledge.
He could not influence those in the days of Sodom to reject their ways.
He could not influenced those of Noah’s day to believe in Him.
He has not influenced all or even half of mankind to believe that He is God.
He could not influence so many so often that to say that He is omnipotent becomes an attribute that God does not have and has never manifested.

Revelation 19:6
And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

Is it possible that God will only be omnipotent after His return?

Is it correct then to say that God has shown that He is NOT omnipotent from the very beginning of His interaction with sentient creatures?

If Not omnipotent then does that mean that God cannot do miracles, because, if He could, it would be a simple miracle indeed to change the attitude of those above who have been immune to His influence?

en.wikipedia.org...

Regards
DL

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

I do not wish to get into another cookie cutter generic mediocre thread about the god/no god argument.
But you argument is kind of flawed.

2 : having virtually unlimited authority or influence n omnipotent ruler>

Having something is not the same as using it. Your reasons why god is not omnipotent are not really reasons why, they are just times when opmnipotent power was not exercised.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

You do not know how many of those negatives are "could not", and how many are "chose not to do it that way."
I will admit that God cannot do things which are logical contradictions- like have an irresistable force and an immovable object in the universe at the same time. So the ability to do logical contradictions could not be included in the definition of omnipotence.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Do you think that such a being who is not omnipotent would give his creatures a choice?The fact that god gives choice is proof alone that he is all everything.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
you said god cant influence. thats incorrect. god could make man love him and not rebel and force. but he gave us free will which has to do with influencing someone. thats part ofgods perfection givin us free choice to listen to him or not. thus rejecting the influence. if he could make everyone convert by a supernatural word, then where is free will. he lays out what he is, what we are, and we decide to serve and love or not.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Gods omnipotence is hidden in his paradox.
Everything he is not is created by what he is not,
us, still being in Him (=Life as One)

its a negative and a negative together,
which in mathematics makes a positive.

Its like saying

That is not untrue = it is not not true = it is true.

To let Truth be absolute, even lies had to be included,
these are believed and acted out by us.
But releases the truth of actually being the untruth.
OR releasing God of his guilt and choice,
and still alowing him to be guilty and in choice.
God always existed so he can not choose not
to exsist, still it is possible through us.

The omnipotence is created here,
and allows God to be what he wants,
not obliging him to be every potential,
but still being everything there is.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by pasttheclouds]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.17For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth..

One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" 20But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?' "-Rom9

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by No King but Jesus

here you have it, God being responsible, but not guilty.

keep in mind that there is a promise in all religions, including christianity,
that truth would be explained, and maybe not all will hear, but the mystery
will be known by some and later by all.

That time is now. And it is not a good idea to let people think it is not
possible to understand god, if it is not possible, then people would take a guess,
and that guess is what is warned against. The spirit completes beliefsystems in
their right order and time, erases blindness, not the opposite way around.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
we have free will and are made after the likeness of the image of our Creator.

therefore, our Creator also has free will - which means he can choose to use his almighty, all-encompassing power, or not.

it is his choice and he makes his choices just as he lets us make ours.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
god has free will, we have free choice,
they cant come together except here.
God does not have choice but a will in himself.
We dont have free will but have choice,
which he doesnt has, except through us.
take care !

[edit on 21-7-2010 by pasttheclouds]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
sure GOD has a choice!

otherwise he wouldn't change his mind
and he does, or did, maybe is more accurate

the idea that "GOD does not change" is true but it's not his mind, it's his character which does not change

the ultimate integrity.

what good would any kind of promise be, coming from a being that could not change their mind?

it's the fact that GOD could be cruel makes it all the more better if he's not.

i really don't see how any divine Creator of mankind and everything in our world could be anything less than an extra-techni-color of our own selves - to the fullest range of colorful personality and variety and changing moods and flashes of genius, etc.

only to the 1000th power, perhaps. more intense in every way would be GOD compared to us but surely GOD has no less "range" for his persona to wander than we do.

and we, as humans, have a LOT!

but GOD is the epitome of all the small things, and so GOD is the epitome of humanity as a whole.

much more than ANYONE ever suggests that he is.
even me.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
yes, but now you stay talking from the old perspective
where god could not be really understood. God does not change his mind about us,
only through us, if we think different, he does.
From his perspective, he does not have free choice,
we have. We dont have free will, he does.
But because we are in him, he is all without being what he is not.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Regardless of "which" god you are referring to...

having virtually unlimited authority or influence n omnipotent ruler

The key word here (in your own cited definition) is VIRTUALLY, which implies that there are at least some limits that could apply...

I hate to stoop to semantics, but in this case, the whole thread is about semantics...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I hate to stoop to semantics, but in this case, the whole thread is about semantics...

no doubt!

i find that just about every subjective subject boils down to semantics!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Omnipotent = Total Boredom

Really, think about it...such an entity would have an awful curse, if one was truly, utterly omnipotent. Could you imagine? Never being surprised by ANYTHING?

Talk about sucking the joy out of existence. I think I'd simply end such an existence. There's a thought, what if God, after a couple millennia, decided he was simply bored and ended his own existence?

Personally, I like the Dogma approach (that every once in a while God (or the deity of your choosing) comes down as an old man who likes to play Ski-ball....)

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Omnipotent = Total Boredom

Really, think about it...such an entity would have an awful curse, if one was truly, utterly omnipotent. Could you imagine? Never being surprised by ANYTHING?

i agree.
totally monotony of biblical proportions.

but i think what you're actually referring to is omniscience.
all-knowing-ness
different than all-powerful

Talk about sucking the joy out of existence. I think I'd simply end such an existence. There's a thought, what if God, after a couple millennia, decided he was simply bored and ended his own existence?

or started our existence, perhaps?

Personally, I like the Dogma approach (that every once in a while God (or the deity of your choosing) comes down as an old man who likes to play Ski-ball....)

how is that to do with dogma?
i like that idea, too, but i thought dogma was a totally different thing.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e61ca11cb61f.jpg[/atsimg]

source

dog·ma (dôgm, dg-)
n. pl. dog·mas or dog·ma·ta (-m-t)
1. A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a church.
2. An authoritative principle, belief, or statement of ideas or opinion, especially one considered to be absolutely true. See Synonyms at doctrine.
3. A principle or belief or a group of them: "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present" (Abraham Lincoln).

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
' never being suprised by anything '

spoken words by a true human.

our minds are so limited which causes for countless misconceptions. which may lead to rebellion.

if time existed with god he might be suprised. but outside of earths rotation, time doesn't exist. everything is, in the beggining, now and the future.

and boredom is a human trait because we don't experience true happiness. god is eternally happy and cant feel boredom. its a constant grace he has whih will be given to us if we get to heaven.

i dont know if he cares for ski ball wth, never heard of that sport, but basketball is gods sport i think.

[edit on 21-7-2010 by JesusisTruth]

[edit on 21-7-2010 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
and boredom is a human trait because we don't experience true happiness. god is eternally happy and cant feel boredom. its a constant grace he has whih will be given to us if we get to heaven.

now, how do you KNOW any of that?
how do you know that i have not experienced "true happiness?"
how do you know GOD is eternally happy?
or can't feel boredom?

if we do, then surely GOD does.
and vice versa

i dont know if he cares for ski ball wth, never heard of that sport, but basketball is gods sport i think.

i don't know.
i get the feeling GOD is into MMA.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Think, grande scale/ everything/where at once. What is everything composed of and how much we REALLY know of it..
truth yo.

top topics

join