It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Household cleaners may double risk of breast cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Household cleaners may double risk of breast cancer

www.telegraph.co.uk

Women who regularly use household cleaners and air fresheners are at double the risk of developing breast cancer than those who never use the products.

The study of more than 1,500 women found that solid slow-release air fresheners and anti-mould products had the biggest effect.

For the latest study Dr Brody and her team questioned 787 women diagnosed with breast cancer and 721 other women about their cleaning regimes.

n order to avoid possible recall bias, the researchers recommend
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I just thought I would share this with as much people as I could.

Breast cancer affects many people, even some people that I know and that many of you know.

Send this out to you female co-workers and have more people using natural cleaners.

Use lemon juice on your walls for scent instead of an air refreshener, use vinegar to clean instead of Vim or other products.

Spread the awareness to your loved ones.

Thanks

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Add some baking soda to the vinegar and you get a tough stain remover, and it also works great as a drain cleaner when followed up with boiling water.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Who does the majority of house cleaning? Why would anyone try to link breast cancer to cleaning products? Why is it that men who use industrial cleaners (much stronger than the stuff you use at home) in their jobs every day are not a cancer risk? What companies are pushing 'green' and eviornmental friendly cleaners?

Tests in laboratories have shown that some cleaning products, air fresheners and insect repellents have chemicals in them that may cause cancer.

But any actual link has never been proved.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

Actually, I'm sure I've heard breast cancer is happening more often in men also these days. If a man is overweight and does have breast tissue, they are probably just as at risk as women, and probably more so if they are working around chemicals and industrial strength cleansers. Hormones come into play in both genders if weight is an issue.

Any strong chemicals will put any person at risk, for any type of cancer, and it is the fatty tissue on our bodies that maximizes the risk, man or woman.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Breast cancer is caused by changes in our DNA. What causes those changes is debated but not yet proven. We know that estrogen can be a culprit. We know that the overweight are more suscestible to breast cancer. We suspect that the crap in our air, food, and water is probably the cause. But we have no difinitive proof of any of it.

new topics

top topics

join