It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drudge reports methane at “levels only seen during mass extinction events”

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I apologize to everyone for not being able to provide you with the original source of this info but by the time I decided to post it on ATS the page had been removed, it was there yesterday. Here is the broken link...

geosciences.tamu.edu...

There is a picture of the page at the bottom of my thread.

Preliminary results show concentrations at some points to be a million times higher than normal, researcher says John Kessler, a chemical oceanographer in the College of Geosciences at Texas A&M University, is currently analyzing methane levels in water collected from seven miles to 500 meters from the Deepwater Horizon wellhead. …

Preliminary results show concentrations at some points to be a million times higher than normal, researcher says John Kessler, a chemical oceanographer in the College of Geosciences at Texas A&M University, is currently analyzing methane levels in water collected from seven miles to 500 meters from the Deepwater Horizon wellhead. …
“Methane levels ranged from 10,000 to nearly 1 million times higher in some spots than normal concentration,” Kessler said.

Thanks for reading!

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
That's Drudge! The more panic-inducing, the better!

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Ok, so despite being capped, at least for now, we're still in danger of something??!! Please let me know because I'm hearing different kinds of information from all different sources. I never know whats true anymore.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Another article had a google cache file here

webcache.googleusercontent.com...:dp3XNF0VYo8J:geosciences.tamu.edu/communications/geosciences-highlights/at-the-oil-spill-site+%22 Ramifications+are+multifold,+Kessler+said.+He+called+the+site+a+natural+laboratory%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
You do realize that the naysayer will still say theres nothing to worry about dont you?
You scare monger you

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Lupin

Just a question. Does it seem odd that the government admitted leaks in the sea floor yesterday, and that many in the scientific community had said this would be an indication that the integrity of the sea floor had been comprimised, yet the press almost as if by design, as stayed amazingly quiet on the subject. Also, that journalists are being
The silence speaks volumes. Remember when the press refused to cover things like Rev. Wright for about a year, tea party rallies, the controversy surrounding Obama's birth, the fact that the health care plan contained nearly a billion dollars in tax increases, etc. Only to find out later they were in collusion with the white house?
I suspect they have been ordered not to report, as not to create either a panic or cast the admin. in a negative light, highlighting their incompetence.
It's like the part in 2012, where the dad says "When they tell you not to panic, that's exactly when you should panic."

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Drudge is late to the party and not as well informed as he shoud be.

For a science-based discussion of the methane problem go here:

Gulf spill: is the methane a bigger problem than the oil?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Make no mistake: the methane most likely is a far more dangerous and deadly component of the leak than the oil.

Exactly why it is is to found in the thread cited, but it'll take work to read through the science to find out why. I don't expect a massive methane sublimation event, but the possibility has risen to truly scary levels, somewhere around 5%, perhaps, which is far, far too high a probability for anyone to take comfort from.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by atlguy

Bet that if the very same situation happened during the last administration they'd be poo-pooing it all over the place. Just a gut feel and observation, you know. Agendas are so fun to have to try to muddle through.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Lupin

The fact that this thread has been removed ties in nicely with the thread that Scientist are being bought out by BP at the tune of $200 an hour (8 hours a week), but they also have to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement.

Hmmmm...

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
“Methane levels ranged from 10,000 to nearly 1 million times higher in some spots than normal concentration,” Kessler said.

I have not seen this report but when it comes out, it will not be fear mongering by drudge it will be reporting numbers dont lie, that is alot of methane..

did anyone see the news 5 piece where they tested the water that people were swimming and playing in?

2 vids with the article showing the samples tested and interview with the chemist who did the tests.

www.wkrg.com...

Good find Lupin I can only wonder why the article is not up anymore?

[edit on 7/20/2010 by -W1LL]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Lupin

google cache of the article (copy & paste full url into your browser)

webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:zTNUw_tvvKsJ:geosciences.tamu.edu/communications/geosciences-highlights/at-the-oil-spill-site/672-backgr ound-material-for-plumes-expedition+geosciences.tamu.edu...&cd=1&hl=fr&ct=clnk&gl=fr&client =firefox-a

1. Of the spilling material, 40% by weight is natural gas.

2. The main chemical component of this natural gas is methane.

3. Methane is a very potent greenhouse gas and the seafloor worldwide stores massive amounts of methane.

4. This spill is too small to influence the methane content in the atmosphere and thus will not influence modern climate.

5. Massive eruptions of natural gas from the seafloor have occurred in the geological past and this spill simulates one of those eruptions. Thus we can study this spill to understand if these previous (natural) massive eruptions in the past influenced climate and how they might behave in the future.

6. Microorganisms in the water eat natural gas and methane. This process consumes oxygen dissolved in the water. We will measure how much oxygen is being removed by natural gas and methane in the waters of the Gulf.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by ::.mika.::]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by astrogolf

There is good reason why the Major News Media is only reporting the "company line"

Remember July 5,2010 Homeland Security issued a directive that all Offical News concerning the Gulf will be cleared through their office. Non compliance will be subject to arrest and jail.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
odd that it was removed, think it was because it was to correct? or because it had to many errors?

I wont lie i dont know the implications of methane, are they worried about it exploding, or are they worded about the gas silently killing people (like carbon monoxide)

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
If you think about it... this might have been the primary motivator for natural selection in moving life out of water.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Gosh - you don't think that some people out there don't want you to realize what a big frackin' deal this is...do you?

There is enough methane hydrates in the Gulf to cover all the energy needs of North America for the next century.

That's a lot of #ing methane. And some of it is unfreezing and rising out of the sand.

Numbers don't lie.

BP does.

The media outlet stakeholders who apparently own BP stock are compromised.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
www.floridaoilspilllaw.com...

[edit on 7/20/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by astrogolf

Depends on what news station you watch... I'm sure I'll get some @#$% from saying this but I watch FoxNews and they've been reporting five leaks in the sea floor since yesterday.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Just getting into posting here, so sorry if I mess this up.
Here's a link to today's St Petersberg newspaper that discusses SRI scientist's findings on methane levels in the gulf. It mentions information from the article the findings from Texas A&M scientists as well.
high methane readings near oil disaster site

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
What also worries me is the greenhouse potential of this enormous methane released (24X CO2). We are already experiencing one of the hottest summers ever, with people dying around the world from these extremes.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I was actually ON drudge when this happened. I was looking through the headlines, saw this article, was about to click on it when the page refreshed, and poof it was gone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join