It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo!: "The Elaborate Hoax Behind Crop Circles"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
whoknew.news.yahoo.com...

"The Elaborate Hoax Behind Crop Circles"

...Or what it should be better known as: The elaborate failure behind mainstream news reporting.

Some awesome quotes:

"No surprise, that some New Age Believers believe crop circles are made by aliens."

-> See, Yahoo! thinks all believers in aliens are the crazy new age folks. That must be incredible insulting to all the academic researchers out there.

It's been known since 1991 that crop circles are manmade when the original pranksters confessed to making 100's of circles."

-> Is this a failure in logic? If you can't figure out why, you probably shouldn't be doing research.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I think youll find all the exhausting questions an answers here man!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Just goes to show you any yahoo can make a stupid video full of disinfo.

Here's a little talked about fact:

The Doug and Dave were actually frauds themselves after confessing that they lied about making the crop circles back in the 70's.

"But when later confronted to provide evidence of their alleged creations, Doug and Dave changed their story, even reversing previous claims; they could not even explain the unusual features found in the genuine phenomenon.

When they claimed making all the formations around the English county of Hampshire, for example, it was pointed out that the majority of known formations had actually occured in another county –

"Er, no, we didn't do those either," they replied.

In the end, not even Doug and Dave knew which ones they had made. And although they claim to have made hoaxes since 1978 – at the time the published date of the first design – unpublished evidence revealed how crop circles had been manifesting since the 1890s.

The public has never heard D&D's retractions, nor been given the opportunity to compare the mess created by D&D with the mathematical elegance and anomalies of the real phenomenon."

Source

[edit on 20-7-2010 by Julie Washington]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
There's a few problems with this right off the bat --

1. The pranksters admitted to 100's, but not all crop circles.
2. Many of the ones they admitted to making, circle researchers had already determined to be man made prior to their admission.
3. They also were asked to reconstruct a circle they claimed to have made, at night, in a matter of hours. Unfortunately, when being filmed, they couldn't do it and the final picture took many more hours and was extremely messy and lacked proper symmetry.

Do I think aliens make crop circles? No. But I do not believe that all circles are made by drunks with some boards.

Do I think this crew make some of the circles? Yes. But I also believe, after following much of their self-proclaimed skills at circles, that they have vastly exaggerated how many they have made, how many people and how much cooperation it required [i.e. from farmers], as well how quickly they were able to make them.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Can a mod please close this thread? why would we need two same threads on the same topic?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
well lets use logic

since we can do crop circles, it means that every single one of them is made by us

well, not really ... thats not scientific, and thats what yahoo is doing

just because we can, doesnt mean every one was made with conventional techniques

but I dont believe right now that in anything, I am on the fence, simply because there are no enough proofs either way ...

its a matter of opinion, rather than logic or science

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I caught that headline too and started to read it then thought "ah, screw it"

But one has to wonder why Yahoo (MSM) is even interested in this 'hoaxed' paradigm enough to waste precious bandwidth over.

They are clearly covering more and more UFO sightings yet they feel a need to set the record straight regarding crop circles? Amazing. Somethin's up I think.

I have a feeling (either via prior knowledge or in a direct collective consciousness retaliation) we may see a jaw-dropping crop circle very soon that will almost defy ANY Human artist ability.

Stay tuned!

[edit on 20-7-2010 by One Moment]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCDAVECLARKE

That thread has nothing to do with Yahoo having this on the home page today. So.....what's your point?

Yahoo is talking about Doug and Dave.
Your link is covering the latest crop circle.

Although it's the same overall subject....they are two totally different topics.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Sorry everybody's so touchy on ATS you dare not put a foot wrong or your dived on ! i thought i was helping...

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I saw that video yesterday and laughed so hard...

Yahoo news is notorious for propaganda like this and that video was unbelievably pathetic.. It was written and spoken like you would hear it from a small child with a 1st grade education on the matter.....

Also could not find the author of the video as I would love to hunt him down and break both of his legs for trying to pass that garbage off as legit.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
Can a mod please close this thread? why would we need two same threads on the same topic?

I would love to know where this other thread is. Please, tell me.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well as to their claim which seems to be that since red hair can be achieved with a dye, all red heads dye their hair, and try to shove this down our throats like 2 year olds, I like this site on Canadian Crop Circle research:

www.cccrn.ca...

The Canadian Crop Circle Research Network (CCCRN) has been investigating the crop circle phenomenon in the prairies and across the country since 1995, founded by researcher Paul Scott Anderson.

Creating a unique liason between farmers, researchers and scientists, it is the first and only research group of its kind in Canada.

Formerly known as Circles Phenomenon Research Canada, an affiliate of Circles Phenomenon Research International (CPRI), and with the later closure of the international CPRI offices, the organization was refounded in 2001 as CCCRN, an independent group with the main office in North Vancouver, British Columbia and provincial branches across the country. CCCRN does not have a general paid membership, "membership" is made up entirely of volunteer research assistants.

CCCRN works with numerous other research groups, in Canada and other countries, including the BLT Research Team Inc., which has been conducting scientific laboratory studies of plant and soil samples from crop formations worldwide for the past decade with a growing number of mainstream scientists and laboratories. The primary focus of CCCRN is on-site investigations of formations and documenting the available scientific evidence, also with the assistance of its own scientific consultants in various disciplines

www.cccrn.ca...

The Scientific Evidence

Some of the most pronounced physical anomalies found in crop formations worldwide have been deformities to the nodes, in all types of crops including wheat, barley, canary seed and even cattle corn. These deformities include varying degrees of swelling, elongation and rupture-type holes, often referred to as "expulsion cavities." The leading current hypothesis as to their cause relates to the rapid heating of internal moisture inside the plant stalks, which tries to escape at the nodes. Interestingly, the only semi-successful attempts at duplicating these effects manually so far have involved microwaves.

They have not been reproduced yet by conventional hoaxing methods (ie. stomping boards, rope, etc.), and have been found in simple circles as well as some of the more complex patterns. Test circles made by researchers for comparison purposes, including by CCCRN teams, and known man-made formations have not shown these kinds of pronounced changes. Slight swelling and elongation can be caused by these mechanical methods, but so far these methods have never been demonstrated to cause the degree of change seen in some formations (up to 200-300% node elongation in some cases!).....

Another research project by the BLT Research Team, Inc. / CCCRN features growth studies being done with samples of hybrid cattle corn (maize) from the two large formations at Abbotsford and Agassiz, British Columbia in 2003. Both formations exhibited significant physical anomalies including multiple expulsion cavities (sometimes in single nodes), often with up to seven or eight affected nodes on one stalk (entire length of stalk), something never seen before. Both of the large, geometric formations, 91 metres (300 feet) and 45 metres (147 feet) long respectively, were in 2.75-3.05 metre (9-10 foot) tall cattle corn. Similar anomalies were also later found in the cattle corn formation at Matsqui, British Columbia in 2004. A full BLT / CCCRN report documenting these findings will be published soon.

An update on the BLT Research Team website provides a good case example of objectively studying the available evidence at hand; regarding an examination of blackened cattle corn stalks from the larger of the two formations at Mission, British Columbia in 2002, which analysis showed to be a common opportunistic fungus called Ustilago, not charring as had been speculated. While a "negative" result, it underscores the need for serious and objective scientific studies of all possible anomalies.

A comprehensive X-ray diffraction study was published by the BLT Research Team in 2004, an examination of clay minerals in soil from the Edmonton, Alberta formation in 1999, showing evidence of an increase in crystallization similar to that seen before only in sedimentary rock; the effects found would normally require exposure of the soil to a minimum of 600-800 degrees C for many hours... significant node length increases and expulsion cavities were also found in this formation.

Looks like a lot of unexplained anomalies to me!

Just the tip of the iceburg too.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bananasam

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

I would love to know where this other thread is. Please, tell me.

Here's a couple:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Do I think aliens make crop circles? No. But I do not believe that all circles are made by drunks with some boards.

And here is the crux of the issue imo. Why so many people believe some of these simply HAVE to be made by aliens. I seem to ALWAYS see that very comment. That they couldn't be possibly be made by "drunks with boards."

People assume that only hick idiots in pickups having downed a 12 pack of cheap beer are capable of making these things. Not clever people for whom this is a hobby of sorts. Yet these are often made by SMART PEOPLE. Just like you. People who read conspiracy sites. Who try to find out what buttons are hot, and know how to push them with their designs. They are COLLEGE students and people who have smarts, and are trying to outsmart YOU.

Yet people keep assuming that the only way these can be made are by stupid people with no tools or planning. Yet the truth of the matter is that people with night vision goggles, and other tools other than "rope and a board," and GROUPS of people who plan these in advance, are making clever circles that will make people go "OOoh.. ALIENS made that!" That's the result they are trying to get.

Tell me this: If people on THIS board got some rudimentary crop circle making practice in, learned the tricks of the trade and so on.. could we not make some circles that would make people think it's some super important, cryptic message of vast importance? I know you could.

Stop assuming that only drunks make these. Assume that very clever people with skill in this sort of thing are doing so, and maybe you'll be closer to the mark on what they can and cannot do.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bananasam

Thank for posting that video
It's true, believers in aliens are the crazy New Age folks.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Wow they (confessed-guys, and the yahoo guy bringing this story up) really need to take BS 101
and Propaganda 180 just to know how to come up with a simple disinfo.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bananasam
It's been known since 1991 that crop circles are manmade when the original pranksters confessed to making 100's of circles."

-> Is this a failure in logic? If you can't figure out why, you probably shouldn't be doing research.

I don't claim all crop circles are manmade.

Here is a crop circle:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e4806d8dcc50.jpg[/atsimg]

Look at how rough the edges of the circle are, the edges are not well defined like you see from circles made with a plank on a rope. That looks like it was probably made by one of these:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b1c29d802f9f.jpg[/atsimg]

But the vast majority of them look like they are made with a plank on a rope. It's kind of funny to hear people deny that.

How to Make a crop circle

Daytime and night time nightvision footage. Part two is us at night doing this circle. Part one is us finishing off in the morning and then going up a nearby hill to look down on our work.

Look at the T-shirt the circlemaker is wearing, it's got the head of a gray on it!

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Yes... but the real answers are here

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by and14263

Yes... but the real answers are here
I especially like their tips on what you can do so your crop circle will be deemed "not man-made". Like maybe sprinkle some iron filings inside the circle. And sure enough, I've seen people post right here on ATS that the circle wasn't man-made because they found iron filings in the circle!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join