It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA official resigns amid race controversy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

An employee of the Department of Agriculture has resigned, after conservative media outlets posted video Monday of her describing a time in the past when she hadn't used the "full force" of her abilities to help a farmer because he was white.

So reverse Racism at the highest level of Government?

Yahoo News Link

NAACP CEO Ben Jealous was also quick to condemn Sherrod's actions, though. In a statement Monday posted on Breitbart's Big Government site, he said:

Her actions were shameful. While she went on to explain in the story that she ultimately realized her mistake, as well as the common predicament of working people of all races, she gave no indication she had attempted to right the wrong she had done to this man.

In response, Sherrod told CNN that it was "unfortunate that the NAACP would make a statement without even checking to see what happened. This was 24 years ago, and I'm telling a story to try to unite people."

It happened 24 years ago, but she is only now telling the story out of guilt. So lets not have all the mandatory Obama-bashing. He was barely born at the time. Although seeing him rise to President may have made this woman feel some guilt and admit to her actions? Who knows?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

For the Record, I have a very good friend that was a USDA meat inspector for many years. He is black, and he has also told me stories of helping out struggling black ranchers and refusing to help the white ones.

He also felt a little guilt (very little) after retiring and opening a restaurant and making some white friends.

Times were different 10, 20, 30 years ago. This reverse racism was justified in their minds as a way of getting closer to equality. While a black government official was making it difficult for a white rancher to pass inspections, there was probably a white banker making it easier to get loans (and many other variations of that scenario). I am not approving of racism on either side, but I will readily admit that it happens, and I can empathize with decisions my friend may have made back then. I can't say that I might not have done the same thing.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Another Thread, different source (MSNBC) and different title. That thread went up a couple of minutes before mine, but must have been just after my search. Anyhow, apparently it was a Georgia official.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This story is growing legs as we speak. Apparently, the wife of the farmer in question has come forward to say that this incident is just not true in the way the story is being played out and that Sherrod was very helpful to her husband way back in 1986.

Sherrod is also claiming heavy pressure to resign from the White House. 4 phone calls apparently.

Let's let it play out

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
This story is growing legs as we speak. Apparently, the wife of the farmer in question has come forward to say that this incident is just not true in the way the story is being played out and that Sherrod was very helpful to her husband way back in 1986.

Sherrod is also claiming heavy pressure to resign from the White House. 4 phone calls apparently.

Let's let it play out

The whole Racial issue is playing out dramatically right now! Every since they refused to press charges against the Panthers for Voter Intimidation they have been head-hunting for a fall guy. Maybe this is their patsy? Who knows? I agree, it should all play out interestingly, and hopefully it won't escalate.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I agree. The recent and rapid change in the racial tone coming from the WH is getting to the point of disbelief. For me, the tipping point occurred during Michelle's speech at the NAACP national convention where she vocally condemned and officially vilified and demonized the entire Tea Party Movement.

Obama apparently needs a clear enemy to battle and the NAACP has become his political tool/weapon. No surprise.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Just saw this lady on CNN and it seems like the "request" for her to resign came directly from the whitehouse.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
Just saw this lady on CNN and it seems like the "request" for her to resign came directly from the whitehouse.

I think it probably does come directly from the Administration. I think they are saving face and not doing anything productive at the same time.

Ignore and support the refusal to prosecute obvious wrong-doing at the voter polls, but then turn around and make a big production out of hanging this retiree for something racist that she did 24 years ago.

Appearance of a fair government by plastering news up about this action, while burying the story of hostile tactics that helped get you into office.

Typical.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
its messed up and funny im sorry

they fired that chic cause they were afraid of fox news/ glenn beck...

the dems are in serious trouble and everyday they are making it worse for them selves.

all i can is dems/liberals-KEEP DOING WHAT YOUR DOING!

on the subject of black on white racism just like any type of racism is needs to end.

but they are using it as a tool for control you- hate-----HATE is a powerful motivator to get you to turn out to the polls.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
She was given her job back...

THIS IS GOLD:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Ya, so the NAACP reversed their position and they made the whole video public, and apparently her words were twisted and taken out of context?

Good News for her, Bad News for every other Black Politician nearing retirement age? They will be looking for a new Patsy now!

top topics

join