It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The "Argument Clinic" Thread

page: 1
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Welcome to the Argument Clinic! Credit must be given to the Monty Python crew for coming up with this funny and thought-provoking concept! If you have not watched the sketch before, I highly recommend that you do!

Basically, I am offering my service to debate an issue with you where you can choose the topic and which side (For or Against) you would like me to argue from. My own personal beliefs or ideas will be put aside as I try my best to argue for the position you want me to. Please don't judge me too harshly for the answers I give because as John Cleese says: "I must take up the contrary position!"

[edit on 20/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]




posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Please don't judge me too harshly for the answers I give because as John Cleese says: "I must take up the contrary position!"


No you mustn't



posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
But are we allowed to spew fire on you if we disagree?

Or would it be a restrained and intellectual 'Debate'?




posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star
But are we allowed to spew fire on you if we disagree?

Or would it be a restrained and intellectual 'Debate'?


I'm not sure. Why don't you bring forth an issue, tell me which side I am to argue form and we can see what happens!



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost
 

Beautiful!

Ok, im sorry its not a more serious topic but im having to think off the top of my head because i've got to go to work in a minute...

"Monty Python just isnt funny"

I'll make it easier for you: You are arguing that it IS funny, and i will come back and tell you why it IS NOT funny.

Was that the sort of topic you were thinking about or am i way off the mark with what you wanted to do with this thread?



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Welcome to the Argument Clinic! Credit must be given to the Monty Python crew for coming up with this funny and thought-provoking concept! If you have not watched the sketch before, I highly recommend that you do!

Basically, I am offering my service to debate an issue with you where you can choose the topic and which side (For or Against) you would like me to argue from. My own personal beliefs or ideas will be put aside as I try my best to argue for the position you want me to. Please don't judge me too harshly for the answers I give because as John Cleese says: "I must take up the contrary position!"

[edit on 20/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]


I hardly think A "argument clinic thread" is necessary at BTS/ATS/MATS,(or the whole internet in fact) if we as a community have a debate club and a BBS which is based on uncovering the hidden truths about reality and life in general.

...then again,who am I to argue.



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star

Ok, im sorry its not a more serious topic but im having to think off the top of my head because i've got to go to work in a minute...

"Monty Python just isnt funny"

I'll make it easier for you: You are arguing that it IS funny, and i will come back and tell you why it IS NOT funny.

Was that the sort of topic you were thinking about or am i way off the mark with what you wanted to do with this thread?

Don't be so self-conscious, yes that topic is fine. Although, you did give me the far easier position, thanks.

Watch the following clips and try not to laugh: Argument Clinic, Dead Parrot, Nudge Nudge, Lumberjack song and Black Knight sketch. Since most people do find those funny, I argue that Monty Python is funny!

Therefore, to say "Monty Python just isn't funny" is wrong, which makes you wrong. Which makes me right


[edit on 21/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
I hardly think A "argument clinic thread" is necessary at BTS/ATS/MATS,(or the whole internet in fact) if we as a community have a debate club and a BBS which is based on uncovering the hidden truths about reality and life in general.

...then again,who am I to argue.

An Argument Clinic thread is ESSENTIAL for BTS! It is one of a few threads that admits issues are debated because they are debatable, not because they need to be debated! If BTS only had things that needed to be debated, barely any threads would exist.

You are wrong. We need an Argument Clinic thread here on BTS!

[edit on 21/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

No it wasn't



An Argument Clinic thread is ESSENTIAL for BTS! It is one of a few threads that admits issues are debated because they are debatable, not because they need to be debated! If BTS only had things that needed to be debated, barely any threads would exist.

You are wrong. We need an Argument Clinic thread here on BTS!
[edit on 21/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]


AH... I like the way you forget to add ATS and MATS to this non-arguement.
and that skit was about contradiction,not arguing.

Arguement is a common misspelling of argument



Arguement is a common misspelling of argument Misspellings like mispellings and misspelings, are so benign that usually they serve only as a criticizing point for people who cant argue arguments, but are switching their focus to these 'fundamental' flaws in your character.



You are wrong.

No I'm Not


*edit to add video that is NOT relevant


[edit on 21-7-2010 by The Utopian Penguin]



posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Don't be so self-conscious, yes that topic is fine. Although, you did give me the far easier position, thanks.


I get that a lot - im starting to become self-concious about being self-concious!



Watch the following clips and try not to laugh: Argument Clinic, Dead Parrot, Nudge Nudge, Lumberjack song and Black Knight sketch. Since most people do find those funny, I argue that Monty Python is funny!


Wrong!
They say the lowest form of wit is sarcasm, but it aint, its "catchphrase" humour. Prime examples of which are given above.

It's works like hypnotism - the subject has a catchphrase drummed into his head ("Nudge, Nudge - Wink, Wink", "This Parrot is Dead" etc). This catchphrase can then be called forth at any time to induce laughter in the hapless, brainwashed subject.

That the sketch was initially funny (perhaps they were - a bit!) becomes irrelevant as the person recites the 'hilarious' catchphrase to his pals at work the next day - and they all laugh together - like mindless sheep!

I once had to sit through "The Life Of Brian", what an uncomfortable two hours that was as i pretended to laugh and applaud at the jokes so that my friend didnt think i was a miserable git!



Therefore, to say "Monty Python just isn't funny" is wrong, which makes you wrong. Which makes me right


So, as i have no doubt convinced you, Monty Python isn't funny - it's crap - and i suspect many thousand others would agree with me on this one!




posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
AH... I like the way you forget to add ATS and MATS to this non-arguement.
and that skit was about contradiction,not arguing.

Arguement is a common misspelling of argument



Arguement is a common misspelling of argument Misspellings like mispellings and misspelings, are so benign that usually they serve only as a criticizing point for people who cant argue arguments, but are switching their focus to these 'fundamental' flaws in your character.

The only poeple who kare about spelling are those who can't spell themselves. As for grammar; people get It some. and others do not:

ATS/MATS are different entities and thus not applicable to this discussion which was made on BTS. I wait your eagerly defaet! Cone now,



posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star
I get that a lot - im starting to become self-concious about being self-concious!

I often get told that I make people feel self-conscious when they notice how self-conscious I am towards myself. I feel somewhat self-conscious as a result.


Wrong!
They say the lowest form of wit is sarcasm, but it aint, its "catchphrase" humour. Prime examples of which are given above.

It's works like hypnotism - the subject has a catchphrase drummed into his head ("Nudge, Nudge - Wink, Wink", "This Parrot is Dead" etc). This catchphrase can then be called forth at any time to induce laughter in the hapless, brainwashed subject.

But surely it more than the phrase itself that causes the laughs? If you were to replicate the same phrase to your friend using an informative tone and no mannerisms, would you receive the same effect?


That the sketch was initially funny (perhaps they were - a bit!) becomes irrelevant as the person recites the 'hilarious' catchphrase to his pals at work the next day - and they all laugh together - like mindless sheep!

Sheep don't laugh so your argument is fundamentally wrong



I once had to sit through "The Life Of Brian", what an uncomfortable two hours that was as i pretended to laugh and applaud at the jokes so that my friend didnt think i was a miserable git!

that was nice of you...maybe deep down you didnt want him to look silly for finding it funny when others didnt think it was that funny. You are underestimating your altruistic attributes!


So, as i have no doubt convinced you, Monty Python isn't funny - it's crap - and i suspect many thousand others would agree with me on this one

But isnt the assumption that they will agree replicating the same behaviour you condemned moments before?

I'll take the illusion of Free Will from your mind and accept your apology and inevitable defeat. Monty Python is funny.



posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

Originally posted by Silver Star
So, as i have no doubt convinced you, Monty Python isn't funny - it's crap - and i suspect many thousand others would agree with me on this one

But isnt the assumption that they will agree replicating the same behaviour you condemned moments before?


I walked into that one - You've run rings around me!

And if i started quoting catchphrases in an informative tone to my friends im pretty sure they would laugh - nervously - whilst they are ringing the mental health professionals!

I hate to just roll over and die, but i think you can chalk this one up as a victory



P.S - Monty Python still isnt funny though!



posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost
 


Mmmmm, this horror movie is NOT scary !!


I WIN !!


YOU LOSE !!







posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star

I walked into that one - You've run rings around me!

And if i started quoting catchphrases in an informative tone to my friends im pretty sure they would laugh - nervously - whilst they are ringing the mental health professionals!

I hate to just roll over and die, but i think you can chalk this one up as a victory



P.S - Monty Python still isnt funny though!


Actually it was you who won. Admitting defeat is a sign of victory in my book. :bash:



posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by uk today
Mmmmm, this horror movie is NOT scary !!


I WIN !!


YOU LOSE !!





I must take up the contrary positon...

Since the plot, acting, sound effects, visual effects and the general "badness" of that clip is SO overwhelmingly terrible, I must disagree and say that horror movie is very scary indeed! Seeing any of those "actors" in any other context would probably make me gag!

[edit on 23/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]



posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost
 


I beg to differ


Yes, the acting, plot, absolutely EVERYTHING about the movie is abysmal, I will agree on that....BUT...

Although the movie is in no way scaaaaary, it is uber terrible enough in ALL departments to reach a " cult " status


Which makes it FUNNY and not SCARY !!


So I WIN !!
You LOSE !!




posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost
 


Oh here's more evidence for my victory !!




I mean, how can tomatoes or yoghurt possibly be scary baby eh ???


Even on a calorie count they ain't !!
Mmmm, cream cakes maybe ....



posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Don't give me that, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings!

Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!!!

OH, oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse.



posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by uk today
Oh here's more evidence for my victory !!




I mean, how can tomatoes or yoghurt possibly be scary baby eh ???


Even on a calorie count they ain't !!
Mmmm, cream cakes maybe ....

You should have quit while you were temporarily in front! That clip is EXTREMELY scary for all the Haemophobiacs out there! The site of all that squashed red tomato could easily be mistaken for blood! And what about people all the Erythrophobiacs out there! I mean come on, you practically just handed my victory to me on a platter. I am correct to suggest that the movie IS scary!



new topics

top topics



 
2
<<   2 >>

log in

join