It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feedback on Telescope to view our Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I would like to use this thread to brainstorm based on current technologies available in market that allow me to see Moon in specific specs.

I have seen many area of people research on our space and use telescope to reach the beyond of planets, stars, clouds, clusters, etc. No one really pay attention on our neighbor satellite that orbit around us daily. Moon is very close and we can see many awe thing on the moon. I would like to able view our moon up close as we see on Google Map on this Earth.

Many telescopes specs usually show the abilities to view the distance objects and gases in space. However, I would like to know if there any specs that allow me to see moon's ground as up close as showed on Google Map? Does this technologies regarding to telescopes available in market? If yes, please add it to this thread with reference to company that sell them. Also, I would like to have ability to make recording and snapshot during my searching on moon. Which technology is best to use?

This thread will help me to build a telescope to research on our moon and I am sure it will be a awesome project. I will share my finding on the moon on a website when I have everything set.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Get some decent binoculars. It is so close that is all you would really need.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The maps used by Google Moon are made with space probes which are orbiting or have orbited the moon. Other fairly close up images are taken with world class telescopes with primary mirrors which are up to 10 meters across and costing hundreds of millions of dollars. Even these large telescopes are not capale of imaging the Moons surface with the detail required to see man made objects.

My advice is to hang out with your local astronomy club for a while and learn the basics about what is involved with imaging the Moon.

There are a number of amateur astronomers around the world with impressive back yard telescopes who record the moon constantly. These people can be found on the internet by searching the Astronomy Picture of the Day website.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
Get some decent binoculars. It is so close that is all you would really need.

Phlynx, The OP is asking for Google Earth like resolution. Can you explain how to do this with a pair of binoculars? Could you also explain how to interface a camera with the binoculars since the OP is asking for this feature as well?

Perhaps you are referring to this fairly expensive pair:
Large Binocular Telescope

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Here's some good places to start for information

Telescopes 101

Astronomy Forums

And here's a thread I made not too long ago...

Amateur Moon photos

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Aslpride

I don't know of any telescopes with that resolution, I have a 10" Dobsonian and I am very content. But if you are interested in building one or in finding more info on this, you should check out cloudynights forums (they have astrophotography section as well -CCD, DSLR and film) or books on Amateur telescope making (ATM).

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Phlynx: I am not here to enjoy the sighting, but analysis the moon. Binoculars are good for entertainment. It's my opinion.

dainoyfb: Thank you for feedback, I still would like to get opinion from ATS because seem this place can give unbiased information. Usually when I asked some professional in certain area and they would say that it can't be done or already be done that I need not to pursue in my dream. Some amateur would not share information due to competition. I think ATS is best choice to ask this question.

ThaLoccster: Great links, thanks for the tips.

sandri_90: Thank you share the references.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by Aslpride]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I would recommend a good book on the subject also. Such as "The Moon Observer's Handbook" by Fred W. Price. Or "Modern Moon" by Charles A. Wood.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
To give you a idea what a 20cm dobson can do, some movies i made with an Orion TX8

[edit on 30-7-2011 by Grifter.be]

[edit on 30-7-2012 by Grifter.be]

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Grifter.be]

top topics

join