It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS and Mental Illness

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by deadred

Very nice post and I agree completely. Most people on this site seem to believe that these disorders are arbitrarily made up just so mind destroying drugs can be thrown at people. They haven't done the research to know that these drugs work on very specific neuroreceptors that aren't working properly, or that in many of these disorders people are predisposed by their genes which caused a fundamental change in the gross anatomy of the brain. Many people here make claims that psychiatry is all guess work that ends with pills, which we have no idea what they do, being forced upon patients. They fail to realize that this isn't the early days of antipsychotics where we had no real idea why they worked. Thanks to fMRIs, PET scans, and just an overall better understanding of the brain psychology and psychiatry are just as legitimate fields of science and medicine as any others.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

You hear voices 24/7? Like a dead animal on this side of the road.. I have to do it, and ask... what exactly do these voices say?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I certainly don't think that those who have the capacity to prescribe medications are immune to their educational/personal bias's, had the same education as all others in the same/similar field, understand all of the new materials/drugs being released after their educations, can necessarily differentiate the difference between marketing and the listing of symptoms, are able to accurately measure the ratio of neurotransmitter interaction within a human brain beyond abscribing neuro activity to a list of symptoms (much less correlating dietary intake, social attentions and physical/work activity) and all of this in relation to their personal lives and attentions ad nauseam due to the repetitious nature of multiple patients.

Factor in pharmaceutical efforts to promote their wonder drug that will save the world and we have a short cut provided, if you will, to the diagnostic process and treatment.

Sorry...I certainly think that there may be an issue with a field of study that is far from being understood correctly and far from having the tools to accurately measure very intricate physiological changes...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

In order to not derail this thread I'll be brief...as a partial answer to this question is contained within the first link in my signature (may have to dig for awhile)...

Some examples of what is said -

"We are the U.S. Government."

"Oh my goooddddd."

"This is unprecedented."

"It's history in the making."

There have been instances of prolonged sentence/paragraph construction as well...

Any other questions, please review the aforementioned link and/or u2u.

Let's keep this thread on track.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Ok I read your thread.. I was curious at first.. Now, I think you are dilusional with a drinking problem. I agree with OP... IMO you should not be a moderator. I dont think you should be banned... Your no danger to me half way around the world.. you can be at the least, entertaining to watch self destruct.

So you think "someone" cut your hand open... Implanted a device.. and then didnt sew you back up.... hmmm On a dilusional scale of 1-10, I would give this a 99.

If I had a family member tell me this.. I would gather the 2 more family members required for lock down... and begin treatment.

I hope this post is not going affect my ability to stay at ATS..... But, jesus man, get some help!!!

I do not mean to be mean... You post like a very intelligent man... Something is off here.. You are not firing on all 4 cylinders!

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Mobius1974]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

All science is like that, nothing is perfect. The only way we can ever say that the “science of mental health” is ever perfect is when we no longer have anybody living with any mental health problems. Until then there are bound to be mistakes, misdiagnosis’s and there might even be some cruelty along the way. But all things in life are like that, it does not mean we should not trust the doctor the end goal is to help people every time.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The problem i see with crazy people is.... They do not know they are crazy... And some people who are insane are off the charts on intelligence.. I dont think banning is a proper solution, I really do not have a solution.. I just wish that mental state was in somones IP address, so I knew who I was arguing with.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I can’t really believe that I am going to disagree with you on this but I am despite my OP. If MS can carry out his duties as a Mod without letting any of his mental health problems become a limiting factor in his ability to moderate I think he should continue as long as his health does not suffer as a result. IF he was to start writing posts saying things like “the voices in my head might be God” or letting the voices do the moderating then yes he should be banned but i cant really see this happening just now so in my book he’s ok to go on.

This is not me changing my stance on the issue of banning people who are mentally ill but like is said. I think people should only be banned were they start to write threads like “i was abducted by UFO’s last night” and admit to having a mental health illness that involves delusions.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Mental healthcare professionals are only useful for indulging the over sensitive soccer mum, no matter what the problem the answer is always take these pills. The whole medical community is a joke, they don't have the answers so they would rather keep us all "comfortably numb".......

Shrinks put faith in what big pharm tells them works. All that medical trainning and they end up chucking pills at patients and becoming nothing more than pimps for the big drug companies. They don't get any respect because they sold out long ago......

As for witch-doctors they are just worthless voyeurs, just like the psychiatrists...

My advice after dealing with both is......NEVER! give any of them the time of day....

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Some people with mental health problems actually have fantastic incite and know what is wrong with them, this thread has proved that.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

Or how about "the govt.. cut my hand while I was drinking in a apt. and then implanted a device that influences my decisions.. THEN they didnt sew me up... Did ya miss that one? I didnt say ban him .. But I have to say that his story taints his mental stability in my mind.. Definetly not ban..

Oh forgot to add.. Then the govt. convinced my neighbors to lie to me and tell me I jumped out of my window... Need I say anymore?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mobius1974
I hope this post is not going affect my ability to stay at ATS.....

Not in the least...and I won't discuss this further on this thread...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

If that is in his thread and he has a diagnosed mental health condition the he admits to haveing then I would regrettably support banning him.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I agree I like the guy.. seems way to well wrapped to think this is true.
But.. Like all the great minds in history... Crazy people are brilliant.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by strangleholder1
Mental healthcare professionals are only useful for indulging the over sensitive soccer mum, no matter what the problem the answer is always take these pills. The whole medical community is a joke, they don't have the answers so they would rather keep us all "comfortably numb".......

As for witch-doctors they are just worthless voyeurs, just like the psychiatrists...

My advice after dealing with both is......NEVER! give any of them the time of day....

Please do not clump ALL MHP's together. There is a vast difference between a Psychiatrist (M.D.), a Psychologist (Ph.D.), a Social Worker (LCSW), Spiritual Counselor and Life Coach. All of whom deal with mental/emotional issues. The only credential in that group who can directly prescribe is the MD.

As a Psychologist who believes in dealing with behaviors by getting to the root cause of mental/emotional issues and modifying the behavior, I've never even bothered to have anyone on staff who COULD write scripts for meds. However, whenever I do come across the individual who appears to need medical evaluation and scripts, I refer them on to someone who is able to meet that need.

There are people whose circumstances can benefit from the proper prescription, however, finding the doctor who is ethical and knowledgeable (without being influenced by bonuses for writings scripts for specific drugs) is difficult to do in this day and age, since your are nearly taught by someone how to retain & build patient caseloads instead of solving the issue and releasing the patient from care. Not to mention, there are some people who don't even want to deal with their own issues and would rather have the 'magic pills' instead.

Just because someone sees and experiences things you can't or haven't doesn't automatically categorize them as 'mentally ill'. Maybe it's the people who are brainwashed by society into believing nothing beyond the MSM and textbooks exists who are the truly delusional ones who should be banned from ATS?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

I mean if ECT and the restriction of a person’s liberty can be ethically justified (i am for that, just for the record) then i think banning a person form a website is fine.

And this is where I stop reading. You realize how little understood the human mind, the human condition and the very nature of human existence is understood. How can you and the mental "health" field promote yourselves when you dont even fully understand that which you claim to treat.

This is horrible. Justifying torture to cure someone of an "illness" that you don't even understand.

There is a mental illness for almost everything. Everyone is crazy and needs medication according to the big book of mental disorders.

You say that depressed people will kill themselves without medication but suicide has been linked to the same medication to treat it.

I suppose you advocate slicing a hole in someone's head to let the demons out like old school psychology. How can you even begin to think that anyone could begng to treat the least understood organ in the human body.

You and all your ilk have a mental illness called egomania. If it was up to you 'wed all be on mind-altering drugs. For God's sake who else but a psychiatrist could get away with feeding children amphetamines or poisoning people with heavy metals. The American Psychiatric Association votes on new mental illnesses. "Today we want to say using the internet too much is a mental illness. All in favor say aye." Hey the pope talks to God by the way, by his own admission. You should restrain and ECT him.

If my doctor handed me a drug that said, "By the way, you might want to kill yourself after taking this." I would walk away.

I have no problem with vaccinations or anything of the like in physical medicine. But screw psychotropic medicine.

I will agree in principle that there are some ridiculous threads on here. I am of the opinion that some of the people that post those do not actually believe what they are posting and are doing it in an attempt to discredit those who truly have seen UFOs or the like and arent making outrageous assumptions.

I also believe that even tho someone may make an outrageous claim and i dismiss it as ridiculous, maybe it really did happen. I am not so arrogant to pretend that I know everything in the world that there is to know.

Psychiatrists will diagnose anyone with abnormal ideas as "imbalanced". Just because a psychiatrist says that someone has a mental illness doesn't make them a god to be worshipped.

[edit on 7/21/2010 by dbloch7986]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

ECT is not the torture it once was, they don’t strap you down to a chair with a wooden spoon in your mouth and plug you into the mains its allot more controlled than that. I know a couple of people who have had it and they said they didn’t feel any pain just some tingling. Anyway the point i was trying to make was that if we can ethically justified ECT and restricting a person’s liberty then banning them form a website can surly be ethically justified

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I have only read the first few posts.I am almost
afraid to ask this...am I one of those members you
are posting about?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

That depends, sorry I don’t really know you so you might have to be more specific. U2U me if you would like.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I don't ethically justify that. The mental health field certainly does. But you mean we as in society which I understand.

I think that if someone is deemed a threat in some way to their own or others security then sure go ahead and ban them. I don't think they should be banned for simply having confessed to being diagnosed with a mental "illness".

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join