It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother protest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Thought you might be interested to hear about what happened on Big Brother in Oz recently. [I missed it myself as I never watch the stupid show.]

One of the participants was "evicted" in the usual fashion & then of course had to be interviewed by the show's presenter, Gretel Killeen. Well, he never spoke a word, & this might get him into hot water for breaking his contract. Have a look for yourselves at

www.smh.com.au...

[BTW, there's a lotta criticism here about Australia's handling of refugees & asylum-seekers.]

Opinions are also divided on whether his protest was appropriate. Dunno if it's worth inviting the opinions of people here not resident in Oz.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I think Merlin is a legend for doing that and has balls of steel for going through with it. Big Brother is a crappy show and its good to see someone with some morals on there making his statement.

Good on ya Merlin!

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Well I think the same way as you about this, cos I'm in violent disagreement with the Oz Gov't's policies on this issue. So I was dismayed by the adverse comments about this protest on anm Oz news forum, They actually conducted a poll on it, & the result was overwhelmingly against Merlin.

Sorry, can't post the link as it's in the Entertainment Forum at Whirlpool, which is hidden unless you're a member there with 200+ posts.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Its because the general population is pretty ignorant about issues and the conditions these refugees have endured all their lives... one of my friends commented that he would have had a sign saying '# the refugees' and i went beserk at him about it. His theory was they should come the legit way or put up with the lives they have overseas (keep in mind this guy never left NSW so he's pretty ignorant about the lives of anyone thats not an Aussie in Australia).

Also people got annoyed he disrupted the normal sunday night viewing, they wanted to see a normal eviction episode instead they didnt get to see the same # they've seen every other week...

so kudos to you merlin! its about time we had someone with some personlity and morals on the show

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
He should have had the balls to actually speak on behalf of his opinion. Instead of just hiding behind the sign and tape. Makes him just come off looking like a whinger.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
He should have had the balls to actually speak on behalf of his opinion. Instead of just hiding behind the sign and tape. Makes him just come off looking like a whinger.

He did speak about it the next day and on an interview on 'Rove Live' on tuesday night. The tape on his mouth was symbolising how the refugees dont have a voice and cant make themselves heard if he had just gone on and talked no-one would've cared, but because he did it in the way he did it has been covered by most major news agencies in the country.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Agree with you 100% there, specialasianX. The symbolism of his taped mouth was very powerful. I also admired his resourcefulness in using the tape, seeing as the paericipants are denied access to any writing materials.

Would love to think that his action would be adopted elsewhere - but I eather doubt that TV stations will allow thenselves to be thus caught with their pants down again.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
yeah they'll put a clause in their contracts that the conestants must talk about the show when they leave and arent aloud to have free will for that time period

D

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
Its because the general population is pretty ignorant about issues and the conditions these refugees have endured all their lives...

so kudos to you merlin! its about time we had someone with some personlity and morals on the show

I also reckon the general population listen to to much of the radio "shock jocks" on the AM stations. John Laws, Stan Zemanick and them. All they do is whinge about how refugees take all the jobs and are a drain on the social system, which is a load of crap.

top topics

join