It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Councillor faces an inquiry after calling Church of Scientology “stupid” on Twitter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

A COUNCILLOR is facing a disciplinary hearing after calling the Church of Scientology “stupid” in a post on the Twitter website.

www.walesonline.co.uk...

Wales’ public standards watchdog said John Dixon is likely to have breached the code of conduct for local authority members with his short message last year.

The Church of Scientology, whose followers include entertainers Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Kirsty Allie, made an official complaint after spotting the posting last year.

The church, created by American science fiction writer L Ron Hubbard in the 1950s, has a reputation for being fiercely litigious and has been accused in the US courts of trying to use the legal system to destroy critics.

Mr Dixon, who is Cardiff council’s executive member for health and social services, as well as being a web developer and microbiologist, is contesting the complaint saying he was writing in a personal capacity.

He posted the message on his Twitter account, then called CllrJohnDixon, when he was in London last year buying his wife-to-be a wedding ring.

It said: “I didn’t know the Scientologists had a church on Tottenham Court Road. Just hurried past in case the stupid rubs off.”

In a follow-up comment after the Scientologists registered to receive all his Twitter posts, he posted: “Just realised the Scientologists are following me. Quick everyone, pretend you’re out.”

Mr Dixon did not want to comment yesterday and said he would make a statement after the disciplinary process is completed.

He has since changed his name on the Twitter website to JohnLDixon to emphasise he is posting in a private capacity.

The complaint was made to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales in December last year, nearly six months after the messages were posted on Twitter.

The church alleged the messages impinged on the right to religious freedom and were being made in an official capacity, given the name CllrJohnDixon.

Ombudsman Peter Tyndall has issued a summary judgement in which he found there is likely to have been a breach of the code of conduct and referred the complaint to Cardiff council’s Standards and Ethics Committee.

It is one of the more serious of the four options open to the Ombudsman if he investigates a complaint, which are: to find there is no evidence; to uphold the complaint and take no action; to uphold the complaint and refer it to the relevant council’s standards committee; or in the most serious cases to refer the finding to the adjudication panel for Wales.

No date has yet been set for the committee to hear the complaint against Mr Dixon.

It is the fourth complaint against a Cardiff councillor that has been upheld over the past year from 14 complaints made by members of the public and one complaint by a councillor.

Has the world gone mad? I thought scientology wasn't recognised as a religion in the UK, it's a money making business so there is really no case to answer. (◣‿◢)

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
scientology is stupid, and its followers are stupid. how can you claim to be a church and then charge your followers for your religious services? how much faith would you put in your church (if you have one) if they charged you a couple hundred bucks for a baptism? l.ron hubbard made a bet he could start a religion and created scientology. scientologists fall into two catergories idiots and con artists. lord xenu rules!!

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I am amused by the fact that "scientology" is an anagram of "Yes, not logic".

L. Ron Hubbard must have been laughing his socks off all the way to the bank

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by marmitenews

s'pose they've given up on Free Speech in Britain?

Scientology is stupid.. tis a fact. It was created by a science fiction writer.. which should be a warning sign to those of at least minimal intelligence.. Yes, most religions are also based on fairy tales and nonsense.. but with Scientology theres at least the undoubtable truth that it's complete bs..

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Hes about to find out that they are far from stupid...poor guy.

Sure they are maniac,crimminal,brainwashing cultsters,but you do nott get to be the biggest baddest cult by being stupid.

He should never have to face an inquiry for such a thing,although scietologists have big bucks,ands thats all you need to get any form of government inquiry in the UK IMO.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Perhaps this fellow should get in contact with Anonymous. So many wonderful posts here on ATS bout Anonymous, I really love these guys

brill

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Anonymous rock IMO.
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

But clever is their enemy,they have managed to infiltrate many institutions,including schools via one of their off shoots/front companies:
Narconon,drug rehab:

Devotees of the Church of Scientology have gained access to thousands of British children through a charity that visits schools to lecture on the dangers of drugs. A Sunday Times investigation has found that Marlborough College is one of more than 500 schools across Britain where the charity has taught. Critics of the charity, Narconon, say it is a front to promote the teaching of Scientology — the controversial “religion” founded by L Ron Hubbard, the science fiction writer. Schools contacted last week said they knew nothing about the charity’s links with Scientology. There is no apparent reference to the church in its drugs education literature. Narconon’s UK website states that its work is based on Hubbard’s “drug rehabilitation technology” and displays his photograph; but it refers to him as an author rather than the founder of Scientology.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

They have money,and IMO may utilise certain traits usually only found in the darkest corners of the CIA/FSB/Mossad.

People have heart attacks,embolisms,car/plane crashes,if you see what I mean.
I am also beginning to wonder if they are the unseen hand behind "common purpose",but thats another story.

Darkside stuff.

[edit on 20/7/2010 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This is a must see video which shows scientology in its true creepy light.

Apologies I can't figure out how to embed non youtube or google video links but here's the link to the entire 29 minute BBC Panorama report.

www.veoh.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
sorry

[edit on 20/7/2010 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by marmitenews

Thats a real peach,with the presenter losing it on them.

Heres another earlier expose,from 95-they put a lady undercover,and she gets audited,e metered,and blagged into spending butt loads of monies on deeper brainwashing sessions.

Listen to how she describes the session where she has to stare into someones eyes for a few hours....

www.youtube.com...

Hmmm.
Don't think ill be signing up any time soon...and thats just the UK perspective.When you look at what they do in the US,and the 3rd world,they really are big time badass IMO.

L RoN would be proud.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
How did they EVER get recognised as a 'tax exempt' church in the US?

Crazier than a bag of frogs

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by marmitenews
How did they EVER get recognised as a 'tax exempt' church in the US?

Crazier than a bag of frogs
they probably just paid off the right people, these ruthless criminals also have been known to drain peoples bank accounts to the last penny and leave them dying or dead under suspicious circumstances.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Hes about to find out that they are far from stupid...poor guy.

Sure they are maniac,crimminal,brainwashing cultsters,but you do nott get to be the biggest baddest cult by being stupid.

Sure you can. History proves over and over that stupid and brutal is often a winning combination.

Not for HUMANITY mind.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
This latest episode (as detailed in the OP)

simply confirms my long-held suspicion that

the Usual Suspects are behind Scientology

-- just as it's believed they're the instigators of

numerous other 'religions'

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Councillor John Dixon defends himself on BBC Newsnight

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Haha - they are all clearly made up, some more than others. Scientology is about as obvious as it gets. have read some of Hubbard's sci-fi, and it's average, mildly entertaining fare.

The next most obviously made up religion is that of the Mormons. Hilariously false.

Today, I made a Christian (one of those that gives out leaflets in the street) admit that his religion was made up. That gave me great pleasure.

DESTROY RELIGION

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The British government are a bunch of stupid morons & grovelling cowards. No one in politics here in the UK is allowed to express their own opinions. I wish I was an MP. I would tell these morons to go f### themselves and there's not a damn thing they could do about it.

It's a bad idea to get mixed up with scientology, because once they have their hooks into you, they never let go.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by kindred]

top topics

join