It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do they refer to Evangelicals as "conservative"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
If any psychological profile represents the antithesis of careful and sober conservatism, it's the American Evangelical community. These folks invent conspiracy theories that rocket their rages and devotions from one target to the next and on a moment's notice. They also react with hyper-emotionality to anything and everything they become exposed to. Maybe we need to find a new word for wild-thinking folks like this?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Conservatism is a political and social philosophy that promotes maintaince of traditional institutions and opposes rapid change in society. Some want stability with how things are now and some want to go back to the way things were. Evangelicals want to go back to a very traditional, god influenced society, hence they are conservative. Furthermore, they don't want society to change to accept homosexuality, atheism, abortion, ect, i.e. conservative. Granted, these are generalizations, but they often work. Now, they are not conservative, as in restrained, moderate, or cautious; I agree with you there.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
If any psychological profile represents the antithesis of careful and sober conservatism, it's the American Evangelical community. These folks invent conspiracy theories that rocket their rages and devotions from one target to the next and on a moment's notice. They also react with hyper-emotionality to anything and everything they become exposed to. Maybe we need to find a new word for wild-thinking folks like this?

What the hell?

How intolerant are you?

Appears you are more intolerant of other's and their personal beliefs than they are of yours.

I don't see any Christians calling for you to be sent to a "new world".

Let me guess, next you want them locked up?
Then you want them put on meds to "fix them"?

Then you will be asking for their executions?

I am not religious really, but I have to say the freedom of religion is under attack big time.

Christians, Islam, Jew, etc are all under attack and have been for a long time by totalitarians who hate freedom.

Maybe we should send the authoritarian people to another world? I don't agree with that but just showing you what your karma will bring you.

I don't think anyone should be shipped off to another world.

I think you should stop the prejudice and hate , and learn to coexist with your neighbor.

That is the major problem everyone is having these days. No one respects each other. Most people want to use government force to "punish" or "control" other people because of their BELIEFS.

Goodbye freedom. Hello Tyranny

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Ok sorry maybe you did mean "Word" and not "world". It just seemed like you meant world.

Regardless, the main point of my post stands. Your prejudice towards them.

I implore you to ignore them, not care about them, and mind your own beeswax.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by NorEaster

What the hell?

How intolerant are you?

Appears you are more intolerant of other's and their personal beliefs than they are of yours.

I don't see any Christians calling for you to be sent to a "new world".

Let me guess, next you want them locked up?
Then you want them put on meds to "fix them"?

Then you will be asking for their executions?

I am not religious really, but I have to say the freedom of religion is under attack big time.

Christians, Islam, Jew, etc are all under attack and have been for a long time by totalitarians who hate freedom.

Maybe we should send the authoritarian people to another world? I don't agree with that but just showing you what your karma will bring you.

I don't think anyone should be shipped off to another world.

I think you should stop the prejudice and hate , and learn to coexist with your neighbor.

That is the major problem everyone is having these days. No one respects each other. Most people want to use government force to "punish" or "control" other people because of their BELIEFS.

Goodbye freedom. Hello Tyranny

You want a Zanax for your panic attack? Seriously. I said that they need to find another WORD for what these folks are. Not another WORLD for them.

Man, WTF.

I didn't expect a bizarre response like this one. Try reading before responding next time.

Or don't. I had a good laugh, so thanks for that at least.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
CONSERVATIVECORE!!!!!!!!!1

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
They are religious because they are afraid of death. They are conservative because of fear. Like the Tories of the Revolutionary War, they are true believers in the status quo. Conservatives are people who are born with a need for authoritarian structures -- it is simply part of their temperament. Organized religion gives them structure, as right-wing government does.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Ok sorry maybe you did mean "Word" and not "world". It just seemed like you meant world.

Regardless, the main point of my post stands. Your prejudice towards them.

I implore you to ignore them, not care about them, and mind your own beeswax.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by muzzleflash]

My daughter and her husband are Evangelicals, and I still love them both. Wonderful parents and very sweet kids. I just worry about all the weird drama in their lives and in the lives of those around them.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
Conservatives are people who are born with a need for authoritarian structures -- it is simply part of their temperament.

Yeah, in case you havent been paying attention the last 179 years or so we havent had anything but authoritarian structure.

These definitions are intensely idiotic.

I get called "conservative" all day long and have no desire whatsoever for any authority to rule my life, dont give two cents about anybodys 'god' one way or the other and if anything death pisses me off far more than it scares me.

Authoritarian. That conservative douchebag Obama might want to law of the PA, bombing cavemen and drop his tyrant SCOTUS appointee if he wants idiots to believe he's "liberal."

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

LMAO

Find them another World....

Hell, leave em here, I'll go instead!

You terrible naughty Authoritarian you!

Karma is gonna get ya

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I suppose my answer presumed the background to the OP's question. The reality is that Evangelical's more or less took over the "conservative" movement beginning in the late 1970's. The last major political figure to espouse traditional Christian values (being your brother's keeper, avoidance of war, etc.) was Jimmy Carter. The Evangelicals elected Reagan, Bush and Bush and are the major reason why the South usually decides our elections. Of course because of this what we call conservative today is a far cry from the conservatism of Barry Goldwater. You probably are what many today are calling a "true conservative," one who believes in the principles of the founders (liberals in their day, by the way) and not a bunch of half baked theories about Rapture and Armageddon.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

Afraid of death huh? Those people are the hard asses that came through the great depression eating nothing then went on to sire more hard asses that destroyed the japanese imperial forces from enslaving you the same way they did to the chinese.. Their best buds being germany, italy...

They then stormed the beeches of Normandy with liquid hot metal blown over them and bullets... Those baptists huh?

Lest us forget those fundementalist christians that fought us brits and won a free christian country..

The same happened years earlier with England..

Truth is that both of our countries were born from the very wounds of Christ Yeshua...
Those fundies huh?

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I suppose my answer presumed the background to the OP's question. The reality is that Evangelical's more or less took over the "conservative" movement beginning in the late 1970's. The last major political figure to espouse traditional Christian values (being your brother's keeper, avoidance of war, etc.) was Jimmy Carter. The Evangelicals elected Reagan, Bush and Bush and are the major reason why the South usually decides our elections. Of course because of this what we call conservative today is a far cry from the conservatism of Barry Goldwater. You probably are what many today are calling a "true conservative," one who believes in the principles of the founders (liberals in their day, by the way) and not a bunch of half baked theories about Rapture and Armageddon.

Y'know, I was a member of a congregation of The Churches of Christ (Fundamentalist Evangelicals, not the Charismatic version) and I remember the GOP operatives invading our Monday evening men's business meetings, and leaning on the preacher (hailing from Dallas/Fort Worth Texas) to get the congragation's voters in line for Reagan. When Reagan won, I also remember that preacher having a new financial lease on life after that win. Then, when John Lennon got killed, and the smirks all around, as if God had given the faith community a sign of blessing for the political victory they'd helped bring about, I left that congragation and the Evangelical community as a whole for good. It's been downhill for that movement from there on.

Judas betrayed Jesus to force his hand and get "serious" about being the Messiah (which to the Jews was supposed to be a political leader) and defeat the Romans with the kind of miraculous power that the Hebrew Torah was chock-full of. When Jesus allowed the political structure to murder him (all biblical stories have multiple levels of meaning, by the way) he was making the very clear statement that his ministry was NOT to be confused with a political struggle. It was NOT of this earth, and was not to be involved in taking control of the legal system of societal governance. That sort of thing was what the Old Testament was about, and what Jesus had come to supplant with his new information and infrastructure.

The American Evangelical movement is clearly and aggressively a political movement, and that makes it an anti-Christian movement at its very core. The leaders of this movement are some pretty dangerous people - especially for the people who blindly follow them. These people are always looking for the Antichrist. It's ironic.

top topics

join