It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists say vaginal gel cuts HIV-infections by half

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
This is a very interesting study scientists have conducted in South Africa, they claim to have cut infection rates among 889 women by 50% after one year of use, and by 39% after two and a half years.

This Gel I personally believe, (with a bit more study to get it right) should be widely accessible throughout the world, if it can cut infection rates so dramatically think of the life's that could be saved worldwide, I know it's not a cure or even totally effective but in place like South Africa where Men refuse to use condoms it could be a life saver!

Check out the article for more details.

vaginal gel cuts HIV-infections

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
All good if this is the case but i cant help but wonder about another motive, for example sterlization, and on a larger scale. Im probably wrong though, just thought i would put it out there.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Hi Jazz, I think that's the conspiracy theorist in you
you could well be right though as the WHO are involved
but I somehow doubt it, if anything it's to save money on drugs for HIV patients in places like South Africa, I hope one day they can produce a gel that's 100% effective and widely available throughout the World, that would cut the AIDS epidemic dramatically..

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Ah Jazz loves a good conspiracy theory ... but honestly, I think this is more good news coming from some of the bright minds in South Africa.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Hi deltaalphanovember, heh, I guess most of us on this site love a good conspiracy theory

Indeed I agree the people at Caprisa are great minds aiming for the goal of stopping HIV and AIDS, let's hope they can come up with a cost effective 100% gel that can save peoples life's not just in South Africa but the world!

Caprisa

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
There have been studies at the University of Texas that show that nono-silver particles deactivate HIV and other Viruses, and I know for a fact that there are several nano silver gel products on the market as I have purchased them. I suspect that this could be used, and that there are several viable cures for HIV, cancer, etc. that are known, but closely held because there is no money in curing disease. Disease serves two purposes for the TPTB:

1. Pharmaceutical Cash Cow in the arena of treatment aka managed death
2. Population Control

Silver HIV Research:

www.jnanobiotechnology.com...

www.physorg.com...

PDF of Study: www.che.utexas.edu...

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by belowcommonknowledge

Hi B/C/K, Yeah I’ve seen a few claims there is a cure for HIV and Cancer, one that sticks in my mind is the Thread Slave posted a while back about Dr Robert Beck, he claims the field of magnetism and electricity can cure many things including HIV and Cancer, and I get you when you say there is no money in curing disease, the big pharmaceutical companies would go bust overnight if there was a widely distributed cure for diseases like these that kill millions of humans each year.

Thanks for the links I’ll check them out later when I have more time

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

The use of any gel during intercourse can cut the chances of the transmission of any infection. It reduces friction and therefore lessens the chances of small abrasions in the vagina, thus making it far more difficult for a fluid transfer to occur.

However, it is important not to use petroleum based gels if using a condom because it can break down the plastic.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Just ask these "scientits" to show the proof that AIDS is caused by a retro virus...

Gallo has been totally dicredited

HHS Fails to Make the Case that HIV is the Cause of AIDS

notaids.com...

Not one aids test tests for the retro virus.
According to credible sources the symptoms of AIDS are the side effects of toxic drugs, vaccines and procedures and the placebo effect of the diagnosis, and lifestyle of the target populations.

I'd say the potential here for a conspiracy are too hight to be ignored...

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

I just saw this on the news and looked for a thread to comment on just so I could rant.

This is insanely shady science.

Let's start with the premise.

The study was conducted amongst 900 HIV-NEGATIVE women who were sexually active. It never makes note if their partners are HIV-Positive.

So that being said, if you're unable to determine the HIV status of the partners (as they are not participating in the study) then really all your math is, is odds based around closed scenarios.

The study never actually indicates that the GEL works as intended, but rather that the odds suggest it blocks. They don't actually know.

All they know is how many people didn't get HIV while using the Gel. And that really doesn't mean it was due to the Gel.

JUNK SCIENCE. THE BASIS OF FDA APPROVAL.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by mryanbrown]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Ok great. So now these women can feel safer having unprotected sex? As the study shows, the effectiveness goes down over time. It's the same as taking four bullets out of the chamber (four still in) and playing russian roulette. While some may live longer than before, eventually everyone that engages in the risky behavior meets their fate.

Maybe AIDS is just natures way of cleansing the earth of those who engage in undesirable behavior. i.e. promiscuous sex / prostitution?

Edit: Should have typed promiscuous sex / homosexuality.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by sligtlyskeptical]

new topics

top topics

join