It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NH Lawyer out $240,000 in Scam Targeting Attorneys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

NH Lawyer out $240,000 in Scam Targeting Attorneys

www.newsmax.com

A New Hampshire lawyer is out $240,000 after falling prey to an international Internet scam, prosecutors said.

The attorney general's office declined to identify the lawyer but said he is one of two lawyers in the state who were targeted in recent weeks by scam artists who used Internet messages, fake companies and counterfeit checks to "retain" them.

The checks were said to be settlement money or retainer fees, and the lawyers were instructed to wire money to a different party in the case
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Finally, attorneys getting a taste of their own medicine. After years and years of scamming the public, they are now being targeted. I have absolutely no sympathy what-so-ever for an attorney who gets scammed (generally speaking). Granted, I do understand that their are some good lawyers out there, though they are few and far in between.

While I don't agree with the premise of scamming anyone, it does seem like justice served, at least for the attorneys involved, assuming that they are part of the 99.999 percent of lawyers who scam everyone else.

I have always said that if attorneys are ever needed, the law is far too complicated and shouldn't exist in the first place. With that being said, the scams of attorneys go much further than just being "needed". Often, they will bilk their clients out of large sums of money and their isn't much you can do about it.

Anyway, I see this as one of those "feel good" stories, sort of like when you hear about puppies being rescued or children being cured of a disease.

Again, I'm not saying that all attorneys are bad (and in fact, I can name two off the top of my head that are some of the best human beings I have ever had the good fortune of knowing), but it is the majority of them that give the minority a bad reputation.

--airspoon

www.newsmax.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-7-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
What do you do if you see a lawyer up to his knees in wet concrete.

Add more concrete.

I wonder if it was our friends from Nigeria.

This lawyer has plenty of company.

federalism.typepad.com...
www.dailyfinance.com...
butidideverythingrightorsoithought.blogspot.com...

Now if we could clue the Nigerians into collection agencies as a target.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

ANNED

I think your joke should read --

'' What do you do if you see a lawyer up to his knees in wet concrete.

Add some Bankers then Add more concrete.''

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

I almost swallowed my tongue.

Second line? I don't need to show you no second line.

new topics

top topics

join