It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Council race spies secretly rummage through rubbish bins to discover families' habit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Council race spies secretly rummage through rubbish bins to discover families' habit

www.dailymail.co.u k

Councils are secretly rifling through thousands of dustbins to find out about families' race and wealth.

Waste audits allow officials and private contractors to check supermarket labels, types of unwanted food - and even examine the contents of discarded mail.

The local authorities are using social profiling techniques to match different types of rubbish to different ethnic groups or wealthy and poor households, as part of a recycling drive initiated by the last Government.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 20/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Okay people, i would be the first to mention that i have used several methods in acquiring data that fall upon the border line of what should and should not be done, but then again i was under instructions to do so.

As i am not a resident of the U.K. and i assume that once trash is left on the street it is considered as public accessible area. Perhaps you people in the U.K. should begin to question the motives as this information is not gathered by an intelligence agency of that nation but from civil servants. That sort of information can be used in many forms that what is being depicted here.

Consider how precise this method of data mining is and how valuable the data that is acquired could be to conglomerates who's strategic marketing target groups is based on square kilometers rather than general regional areas.

www.dailymail.co.u k
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 20/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
They have been using some minor anti-terrorist law to do that for years though I think that specific law has been challenged now.

Anyways I have just got a new puppy, good luck to whoever searches through my bins

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Councils have been using the RIPA laws to snoop on people for years now, it's no secret (doesn't make it right!!). The new government has said it is trying to patch up these laws, as it stands at the moment all it needs is a "person in authority" to order surveillance on a UK citizen.

On a side note, it is the Daily Mail, nuff said.................

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeebsy

Here you go,

A couple have spoken of their shock after their local council spied on them to see if they had been cheating the school catchment system.

Tim Joyce and Jenny Paton and their children were put under surveillance by Poole Borough Council for more than two weeks without their knowledge.

Miss Paton said this kind of scrutiny was "hugely disproportionate".

The council has defended its actions, carried out under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA)

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
People have been going through trash for decades...I guess the new twist here is "race." Seems a big memo went out to all the news corps...I can picture it now...

"We need to stir up the ignorant masses, so from here on mention race whenever and wherever possible in all 'news' stories."

This is all so obvious, and it's getting downright STUPID.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

Originally posted by yeebsy

Here you go,

A couple have spoken of their shock after their local council spied on them to see if they had been cheating the school catchment system.

Tim Joyce and Jenny Paton and their children were put under surveillance by Poole Borough Council for more than two weeks without their knowledge.

Miss Paton said this kind of scrutiny was "hugely disproportionate".

The council has defended its actions, carried out under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA)

news.bbc.co.uk...

I'm sorry, I don't get what you are getting at with putting "On a side note, it is the Daily Mail, nuff said................. " in quotes. Please elaborate.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by yeebsy

Perhaps i miss interpreted your post, i was under the impression that because it was under the daily mail its considered some form of lower level news, so i more less supplied a bbc news link.

new topics

top topics

join