It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Wants to "Track My Physical Location"??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
As I was browsing through the day's threads, I got a message from Google Chrome that ATS wanted to track my physical location:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2a6c9a7a2d2.png[/atsimg]

Now, I realize that this is the standard message that Chrome gives you when a site requests your location information... but why is ATS even requesting it?

I imagine it has to do with demographics and advertising interests... but as a conspiracy theorist lurking in the #1 place on the planet for such discussions, I can't imagine why ANY of us would want such information to be tracked?

I don't want most sites tracking me, but especially not ATS! Nothing personal, I just don't want my location data haging out in the world central hub for conspiracy theorists, ya know what I mean?

So has anyone else seen this? Can we get an official answer on this before the mods give the quick "dont worry about it" post and close the thread?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
That's a CHROME feature, unrelated to ATS...

As far as I know..

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
That's a CHROME feature, unrelated to ATS...

As far as I know..

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I have used Chrome quite often and never received that message. My page clicks on ATS are endless...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I mentioned in my post that it was a Chrome feature? Did you read??

Problem is, I've been using Chrome for a long time now, and this is the first time it's asked me about ATS. Matter of fact, its the first time EVER that a site has asked for it.

And even if it is a Chrome feature, the site (ATS) has to tell Chrome to ask me for the location data...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I use Chrome.

I haven't seen that message at all, ever.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Why are sites asking for my location?
Some sites can use your location information to personalize the information they show you. For example, if you share your location with a site that specializes in restaurant reviews, the site can fine-tune its display and show reviews for restaurants near you. You have full control over whether you share your location with sites.

Google Chrome never shares your location without your permission. By default, whenever you’re on a site that wants to use your location information, Google Chrome alerts you by showing you a prompt at the top of the page. Your location -- determined by nearby wireless access points and your computer's IP address -- is sent to the site only if you click Allow in the prompt.

If you agree to share your location with the site, the icon appears in the address bar to remind you that you've permitted the site -- or something embedded in the site, such as a map -- to access your location. To see more details or to clear location permissions for the site, just click the icon.

This is what google says...

www.google.com...

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Maybe since ATS uses Google Adsense, perhaps it's something built in?

I'm not sure, it just seems odd that ATS would even want that information, as you said conspiracy theorists and all..

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

So again my concern... why does ATS want that information AND/OR why did this request pop up all of a sudden?

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Maybe since ATS uses Google Adsense, perhaps it's something built in?

I'm not sure, it just seems odd that ATS would even want that information, as you said conspiracy theorists and all..

~Keeper

Does kinda make ya feel uncomfortable, don't it? lol

[edit on 19-7-2010 by DamaSan]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DamaSan

It is an advertising gimmick apparently according to google, so like I said, I think it perhaps revolves around Addsense and what not.

I've never seen it though..on any website with chrome, but I don't really use it that often either...

Where's the three amigos when you need em..

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DamaSan

whatever, fine by me.

my physical location is identified as my latitude and longitude coordinates, and you may find these coordinates under "location" in my avatar.

i don't know a guy who does not know about a guy i don't know anything about.

have a thought or at least think about it,
et

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Yeah, I've never seen that pop up either. I know that feature is there in Chrome, but have never seen it until today.

It's just kind of strange to see it randomly pop up on a site that I visit all the time with the same browser... and a conspiracy site no less!!

If it is ATS initiated... I dont like it.

Probably isnt ATS related since it doesnt happen to everyone on every page.

Might have to do with an AD... if so, find it and kill it!

Otherwise... kinda spooky.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
The moderators speed away in the blacked out surveillance truck...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Ya well to let you know the honest truth, you do not need an application to track your location nor even your permission. Most websites do that automatically. They use your ISP in conjunction with your IP and POOF...! You have been located down to your physical address.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Hilarious. The modserators are probably going to waterboard you to death now, you should have kept your mouth shut.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

As a network engineer, I am well aware of that. I just don't like it being put in my face by my browser that someone wants it.

Also, if it IS a rouge AD on the site that's asking for it, that's an issue that the mods will be interested in. I know Bill keeps a "Hit List" of bad ADs.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by DamaSan]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DamaSan

Its not really for ATS, its for the MIB and the aliens so that they can
find you easier.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
they already have everybody's IP address ... you have an account here my friend

so, I dont think this matters as much as you think

try using a proxy or something like that if you have a problem

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

I've already mentioned that I am well aware of this. Read the thread, please

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DamaSan

As I was browsing through the day's threads, I got a message from Google Chrome that ATS wanted to track my physical location:

Sorry about that, I usually don't go through Google Chrome. It's just that I was getting really frustrated with waiting for the only satellite that wasn't being used to enter your specific region. They gave me a ton of stuff to do and no way to get it done so I cut corners. Relay these ELF's to members A through Z. Psychotronics for specific messages, blah blah blah. I'll tell you, it's enough to make me want to quit, but I know better than to poke the hornets nest. I'll just keep doing what I'm told.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join