It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehova's Witnesses and Suicide

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
What I am about to present to you is an older article (from around 2006-2007).

It brushes the surface of how people who belong to The Watchtower become alienated and tormented by other members of The Watchtower when they want to leave or are just not up to par with following the religion to the tee:

www.associatedcontent.com...

The article is what it is, but it's what I found in the comments section that really disturbed me.

I think it may be against the rules here to post their comments, so I ask you to please read them (all of them, if you could) and post your thoughts. And of course, please read the article as well.

If this is all true and if this is how they treat others, I don't ever want to see another JW at my door ever again.

- Not that I ever want to see them at my door in the first place.

[edit on 7/19/2010 by impaired]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
There are many inhuman actions done by very religious and moral people.
The reasons for doing so remain twisted up in the human mind.
I am sure that any sequestering type religion would have a higher suicide rate than normal society because we are that much more tolerant and permissive.
It isnt a single religion that follows that trait im sure.
To me its a matter of how high they set the bar or standard of behavior...
the higher the bar the higher the failure rate the more suicides....
Do you really think that the catholics are any different except by degree?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling: Do you really think that the catholics are any different except by degree?

Absolutely not, but I didn't want to go there. I will now.

I feel the same (in order of relevance) for:

Islam
Jehova's Witnesses
Catholocism/Christianity
Judiasm

It always traces back to the Abrahamic religions! Now why is that??

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

The single most common reason for suicide among Jehovah Witnesses is the cults focus on death and destruction. Dedicated Witnesses want non-Witnesses to be killed. They want their fellow man to be executed by an angry god. Day after day an almost romantic lust for death and destruction is instilled in cult members. This death lust is stroked by a never ending stream of pictures and literature glorifying death and destruction.
That sounds more like some sort of Satanic cult to me...now I knew JW were pretty out there people...but I'm pretty sure none of the JW's where I live are like that...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S

The single most common reason for suicide among Jehovah Witnesses is the cults focus on death and destruction. Dedicated Witnesses want non-Witnesses to be killed. They want their fellow man to be executed by an angry god. Day after day an almost romantic lust for death and destruction is instilled in cult members. This death lust is stroked by a never ending stream of pictures and literature glorifying death and destruction.
That sounds more like some sort of Satanic cult to me...now I knew JW were pretty out there people...but I'm pretty sure none of the JW's where I live are like that...

But that's just it. You don't know until your in the club. A house can look beautiful from the outside, but once inside it can look like a garbage dump.

Those people's testimonies (in the comments section) speak for themselves.

It's so disheartening. I almost teared up when I read them. Indoctrination is terrible. How can people be so selfish???

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
OK, I didn't read the source because I already know what it says. I'm an ex-JW. Raised as such. I've been away, read that as disfellowshiped, for over 1/4 of a century. My family and I still converse. Occasionally my Grandmother will tell me what I already know about the state of things.

Suicide? Not likely. I only knew one JW that committed suicide. They look at that puppy like it's the WORST sin. Throwing the gift of life back into the creator's face. I'm agnostic now. I grew. You want to know about the JW's though I can help you out. Don't get pissed if you don't like the answers though. A lot of what they believe should be practiced by any Christian organization.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
OK, I didn't read the source because I already know what it says. I'm an ex-JW. Raised as such. I've been away, read that as disfellowshiped, for over 1/4 of a century. My family and I still converse. Occasionally my Grandmother will tell me what I already know about the state of things.

Suicide? Not likely. I only knew one JW that committed suicide. They look at that puppy like it's the WORST sin. Throwing the gift of life back into the creator's face. I'm agnostic now. I grew. You want to know about the JW's though I can help you out. Don't get pissed if you don't like the answers though. A lot of what they believe should be practiced by any Christian organization.

We're here to deny ignorance, so please - let us know your experiences.
Fellow Agnostic here as well, btw.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

I don't know...I just can't see the friendly women and her innocent little 8 yr old daughter that come to my door every so often as being blood thirsty cultists...

[edit on 19/7/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

To the topic I have found that JW's don't have a high rate of suicide. Anything else and I will be willing to answer but in the right venue.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

You said it - you don't know until your in the club.

They knocked on my door just this past Sunday, they would have come in had I invited them, made that mistake a long time ago. I don't like door to door sales people of any kind.

Many times I have seen the young men in their black trousers, white shirts and ties walking down the side walk - backpacks to tote their Watchtower pamphlets and have wondered why aren't these young men out playing sports, hanging out with regular kids instead of selling religion for their parents and church. I can see why they might very well be depressed. I never see them smile between each other or just chat. Its sad!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Many times I have seen the young men in their black trousers, white shirts and ties walking down the side walk - backpacks to tote their Watchtower pamphlets...

That's Mormans. Totally different religion. The only thing in common is the sharing of their religion from door to door.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S

I don't know...I just can't see the friendly women and her innocent little 8 yr old daughter that come to my door every so often as being blood thirsty cultists...

[edit on 19/7/10 by CHA0S]

By all means - I am not insinuating that they're all like that, but there is definitely something up. I don't think those comments were contrived.

Speaking about the friendly woman and the 8 year old - there was a JW who was knocking on my door last year (he was a young black man - about 22) and he always had a little 8 year-old white girl with him.

That freaked me out. I can't put my finger on it, but it freaked me out. I made the mistake of being nice to him, and he continued to knock on my door every Saturday for about 3 months until he just gave up.

Strange...

I don't know. I just feel something is evil when it comes to the Abrahamic religions. Jehova/Yahweh were vengeful, jealous, and angry entities - and these religions worship that. This is New Testament aside - you can't ignore the past and make it all better by changing policies.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Funny thing I had the J hawks at my door today, told them I was a pagan witch and then I sicked the dog on them...should have seen them run back to their car LOL almost pissed myself. I have a great big 135 pound mutt that looks scary as hell, to bad he would not hurt a fly.

I know a guy that was a JW growing up, he left them. A few years ago his nephew needed a blood transfusion and the kids mother was not going to let him have it, it was life or death for the kid. My friend was so mad and took matters in his own hands at the hospital...anyways the kid got the transfusion and is alive today because of it, but his mother and father have told him now that he will not be accepted into the kingdom when he dies because of this...

such crap... the poor kid has mental health problems now thinking he will be damned or what ever....smells like a cult to me

cheers

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

To the topic I have found that JW's don't have a high rate of suicide. Anything else and I will be willing to answer but in the right venue.

How can I word this correctly... What is your source that there isn't a high rate of suicide amongst them as opposed to the article and the comments by the people who validated the article?

- Respectfully.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by fernx

Thank you. These are the stories that I am talking about. If you don't conform 100%, you become alienated and your reputation is ruined - as well as mental abuse abounding.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Your right, its the sweet little ladies with JW - still door to door and my view on what I said is the same - they look sad.

link   

Just experience. I have nothing to gain from this. I was disfellowshiped in the mid 80's. I don't care much about that but I won't have turds on ATS. THAT'S my religion now. Like I said, you may not like the answers but you'll get the truth.

link   
This story hits home as my mother converted to JW a few years ago. the transition was horrendous to watch. My mother used to be a carefree individual, now she is withdrawn and brainwashed. She used to send the awakes and watchtowers to me every month in hopes that I would "see the light", but I kindly asked her to stop.
Now I have had to watch my little brother grow up missing out on life and friends due to a choice that my parents made. They monitor everything he comes in contact with. When me and my older brother are around he looks up to us because of the books we read, movies we have seen and so on. I really worry that when he gets old enough to get on his own he will "experience" the world and it will take him under.
As for people leaving the congregation, I have experienced the torment that they can inflict. Every time I come to town, I am hounded about my choice to not be a witness. I have been called evil, demon, etc.... They don't want anything to do with me.
I still love my mother and we have a good understanding, don't talk about religion. she doesn't want to hear about me meditating, I don't want to be fed pre selected scriptures to fit a purpose.
it is sad to see stories like this about religious intolerance.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Thank you. These are the stories that I am talking about. If you don't conform 100%, you become alienated and your reputation is ruined - as well as mental abuse abounding.

Or you just leave. Like myself.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Or you just leave. Like myself.

True. Of course you can leave.
BUT, it seems like the younger ones - the ones who are more impressionable that try to leave get the most mental abuse, and at those ages it's detrimental.
At least according to the article and comments.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join