It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Use Ecstasy to Treat PTSD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
A friend of mine sent me this article today. I wanted to share, as it appears to have promising results. Anyhow, here is a brief bit of the article. Follow the link for the rest of the story.

SOURCE: health.msn.com...

A small study suggests that the illicit "club drug" Ecstasy may have one positive use: making psychotherapy more effective for people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

The drug, also known by its chemical acronym MDMA, appears to benefit patients for whom standard treatments have failed. But experts stressed that the study is preliminary and safety issues must be resolved before any recommendations can be made.

"PTSD treatment involves revisiting the trauma in a therapeutic setting, but many patients become overwhelmed by anxiety or numb themselves emotionally, and so they can't really successfully engage," said study lead researcher Dr. Michael Mithoefer, a psychiatrist in private practice in Charleston, S.C. "But what we found is that the MDMA seemed to temporarily decrease fear without blunting emotions, and so it helped patients better process their grief."

At the end of the trial, more than 80 percent of the patients who received a combination of MDMA and psychotherapy no longer met the diagnostic criteria for post-traumatic stress disorder, compared with only 25 percent of the placebo group. In addition, the three patients who reported being unable to work due to post-traumatic stress disorder were able to return to work following treatment with MDMA. During the trial, none of the patients had any drug-related side effects or neurocognitive problems related to the drug, the researchers reported.

Please keep this clean and free of personal experiences. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Actually I'm pretty sure research has been done on this on a few occasions, and essentially it was determined it's case of understanding the flow of endorphines release in the brain. Endorphines are natural 'feel good' chemicals responsible for happiness, pain killers and other such neurological effects.

Ecstacy (MDMA) in high amounts can also deplete endorphin levels though and can affect the heart rate.

MDMA was originally used in many clinical trials and for various ailments including 'relaxation' , curing stutters and was considered an antispasmodic - relieving muscular and spinal pains. Only later was it ever valued for its psychotropic properties and was used in the 70's as a way of helping patients with psychological problems.

Then in the late 80's it found its way into the rave scene and then the politicians banned it.

Continuing to study the substance in clinical trials, the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies released the following statement in October 2008, "We found that low doses of MDMA (between 50 and 75 mg) were both psychologically and physiologically safe for all the subjects. Future studies in larger samples and using larger doses are needed in order to further clarify the safety and efficacy of MDMA in the clinical setting in subjects with PTSD.”(Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I could see how it helps..

.. releasing 'Sarah tonin' does help you understand, or see things from a perspective not clouded by the fear or hatred your mind is intruded with.

I remember on many occasions assisting Sarah from escaping gave me some... reprieve from things that were on my mind, or worrying me.

I couldnt imagine the amount of stress or pain these guys must feel, but for that moment they are able to come to grips with it, and once the drug falls off and they lose its effects, im sure they remember what it felt like, and what thought patterns they had when they were happy.. and can relate to it, some what removing the edge on the horror.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I actually read about this last year, so apparently they have been studying this for a while. If it works, then great, however even if it does work flawlessly, I have a feeling that it won't be an accepted medication. For one thing, a cure is not nearly as profitable as an ongoing treatment and for another thing, if it is good for the public, then our government probably won't approve it, from my own observations anyway. TPTB sure don't want something that can benefit the people, especially if it will eat into their profits.

I have actually heard of MDMA being used to treat other ailments such as bi-polar and extreme depression, with some very promising results for both. Back in my undergrad days, I can remember speaking with a PhD candidate who was telling me about MDMA being "the" cure for depression, if used in a precise manner. Think about that for a minute, a cure for depression. I'm sure that will never come about because why would "they" want to cure depression when they are making tons of money treating the symptoms of it?

IMO, MDMA is a chemical that we should be looking into further as it seems to have a lot of potential.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Studies in this mein were done years ago. In the 60's and 70's, prior to the full brunt of the "war on drugs", it was found that MDMA and '___' were powerful tools for such things as PTSD, as well as family therapy. Indeed, studies concluded at the time that one session of such therapy was more successful than 4 months of conventional therapy.

It is not that you have happier feelings during the session, lose them when it wears off, but then relate to that happier feeling in memory. It is that these chemicals break down the paradigm you built of the world as a defense mechanism, and allow you to change your paradigm, HEALING the psychic trauma, and it stays healed because that paradigm change is permanent, and does not wear off even when the pharmacological effects of the drug have.

These drugs are also known as empathogens, and somehow they break down the imagined barriers that we have with one another allowing us to experience the interconnectedness that we all share with one another. This is what allows the healing to occur.

Interestingly, while they mention "dangers" in the article, the annual statistics for death due to MDMA, and to '___' for that matter, are 0, meanwhile pharmaceuticals taken "as prescribed" account for 100000 deaths a year, and you dont see them banning them. When the war on drugs began in full force, in order for something to be classified as a "schedule 1" banned drug, it had to have high risk of addiction, abuse, and danger. In the supreme court, the FDA scientists stated that neither of these drugs qualified, as both were almost totally non addictive (due to extremely quick tolerance development) and non dangerous as the LD50 (lethal dose for 50% of people who take it) had never been found for '___'.

It is my opinion that one of the main reasons these drugs, and MJ, were made illegal was due to the fact that the break down of the barriers that we feel between us made people more open and compassionate, and removed the fear that keeps us from sacrificing ourselves to help others in need. This, i think, was a strong driving force of the 60's free love, which was a strong proponent of the civil rights movement, as well as government protest. The government realized that those in this group were more willing to actively work against it, in order to try to help those oppressed by said government, and this threatened its power. Think of it as the exact opposite of religion, sports, TV, and other forms of oppiates of the masses. THIS is why it banned such substances, which brings us to today, where the civil rights movement is destroyed, and people stare in stupor at the TV, numbed to what is going on in the world, while the government gets to do whatever it likes to consolidate power in the absence of any serious protest or movements.

Interestingly enough, many discoveries and creative leaps were created while on such substances, such as the inspiration for the discovery of DNA being found while on an '___' trip. Dont hear about that much.

Sadly, the government has taken the power now to wholly decide what we can or cannot put into our own bodies in the pursuit of healing or spiritual growth, and strangely the american public has docilely accepted this infringement upon our sovereign freedoms without so much as a "hey, wait a minute...", ceding to the government our role as adults, and accepting from them the overbearing burden of the nanny state.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
No thanks.. Have learned to live with my ptsd. Dont want or need drugs to live. The side effects arent worth it and too many people die due to drugs and the side effects every day. You can keep your damn drugs life is meant to be lived not spent in a drug induced coma dead to the world.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
No thanks.. Have learned to live with my ptsd. Dont want or need drugs to live. The side effects arent worth it and too many people die due to drugs and the side effects every day. You can keep your damn drugs life is meant to be lived not spent in a drug induced coma dead to the world.

You'd be surprised. MDMA is actually a pretty benign drug that many people have had positive life changing experiences through short term usage... kind of like ibogaine.

BBC Documentary: Is Alcohol Worse than Ecstacy?
video.google.com...

the "drug induced coma" outlook also does not coincide with ecstacy use as it is commonly used in the underground rave scene at all night dance and hug parties.

also

Due to the difference between the recreational dose and the lethality dose, it is extremely rare for a death to be accredited just to the consumption of MDMA

en.wikipedia.org...

Why live for the rest of your life with ptsd when you can pop one pill... ride the wave for 6 hours and learn to love, forgive, and hug again as if there never was a traumatic stress in your life?

Sri Oracle

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Found that practicing meditation techniques I learned from buddhist monks at temples here in asia has been more effective for me in living with my ptsd. The western answer to everything is drugs that only treat symptoms not cause ..
Learn to treat the cause and you wont need the damn drugs.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
but can you say that because of your mediation techniques:

At the end of the trial, more than 80 percent of the patients who received a combination of MDMA and psychotherapy no longer met the diagnostic criteria for post-traumatic stress disorder

I get headaches and I try the naturopathic/holistic solution first. Don't get me wrong. I meditate. I pray. But after having done so: If I have to choose between a persistent headache and an aspirin...

I'm popping a pill and moving on with my life. I'm more valuable to society without a migraine.

I'd rather not label myself, and associate my sense of "self" with "migraine suffer" and I'd rather not see you associate your sense of "self" with being "someone who must continually manage lifelong ptsd".

Hell... if I could take one pill, with low side effects, and have an 80% chance I'd never have a migraine again... give it to me.

Originally posted by Expat888
Learn to treat the cause and you wont need the damn drugs.

What if one dose of the drug helps you to spiritually transcend the "cause"? What if that one dose can help you to instantly change your perspective on your past experience from "traumatic" to "beautiful"? Why treat when you can cure?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" ...so is misery.

Nothing in the article suggests that you should become a lifelong mdma junkie to perpetually treat ptsd.

Sri Oracle

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Seriously guys, many of your responses smack of the traditional brainwashing about "drugs". In many tribal societies, entheogens were considered sacraments, used to promote growth and wisdom. It is not about taking a "drug" to get "high". The idea here is not that a pill gets you over an illness. Its that something elicits the ability to be introspective about your trauma or experiences, while seperating you from the irrational fears or perceptions you had at the time, and allows you to let go of the poisons of fear and hate that have blocked you from moving on.

The idea the person stated about being in a zombie state is ludicrous, as these substances generally promote creativity, thought, and empathy, as opposed to our societies favorite bandaid, alcohol, which dulls the mind and senses, making us numb, while we call it "relaxing".

Now I also promote meditation, however, not all people are "there", and even if you are, something like this may be a helpful occasional aid to your practice....not to replace it. Many people have had opening, healing, and awakening experiences in this way, and to simply discount it because of your fear or upbringing is somewhat narrow minded.

Further, MDMA is phenomenal for couples counseling, allowing two people who have come to a block, to be able to communicate with each other openly and with compassion, while putting aside the anger and fear which often colours our words and actions, and allows us to listen from a place of being loved and accepted, rather than the defensiveness which we often present as well.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
NOT A PERSONAL DRUG EXPERIENCE, NO DRUG REFERENCES. Just a witness:

"can I come in?"

sure have a seat... is everything ok... you seem upset?

*tear*

*jaw shaking*

"oh my god... I love you so much"

"I love every one of you"

"Can I give you a hug?"

sure... hey how about a glass of water

"oh my god... I can't believe everyone is so nice. everything falls into place. how did you know I needed water?"

No worries. What about your traumatic experience, why are you crying?

*details, details*

"When you look at where I am now... the way my life has changed... the way everything has just fallen into place... It is all just beautiful."

"Can I give you another hug?"

*tear*

*jaw shaking*

"my life... you... it is all so very important to me... it is all so beautiful"

*clenched teeth*

*dilated eyes shaking*

"I love you" "I love all of you soo so much" "I always will" "I feel like I'm connected to everyone" "this place, this moment, this transition, I feel this healing energy everywhere"

...30 days later at the next event:

*after passing knowing smiles amid the crowd she approaches me*

"thank you"

*hug*

"I'm so much closer to my family than I have ever been. I have a new boyfriend now who is so good to me; he's amazing."

"I never used to hug people before... I gave my mom a kiss for the first time in 20 years."

"the dark hole, my mind was trapped in, seems like such a distant past"

you seem sober

"I'm just here to dance now"

have a great show... I'm glad you're back... and I'm glad you're smiling.

Sri Oracle

(Former counsellor in the "chill out" booth at your local rave... patient/client privledges; I won't get into details... fictionalized account, but it happened over and over again.)

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Sri Oracle]

new topics

top topics

join