It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to Build New $790M Spaceport in Kazakhstan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

www.disclose.tv...

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Monday that Russia would earmark $790 million to kick off the construction of a new cosmodrome to ease Russian dependence on a Soviet-era launch site in Kazakhstan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

(fixed link code)

[edit on Tue Jul 20 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Hi guys,

My first post (hurray!) after 2 years+ of being a shadow ATS'er.

I saw this header and remembered an old post from last year.. the link for the ATS story attached...

(I think I have submitted this right, I'm not too sure and any feedback would be appreciated).

So, what do you guys think of this connection?! - nearly a year 'n a half ago, this came up on ATS and then today, this headline!!!??....

Very interesting, what do you guys think?

Thanks,

Andy.

www.disclose.tv...
(visit the link for the full news article)

(fixed link)

[edit on Tue Jul 20 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well we will see what happens.

Sounds interesting and like a good idea to me, since it may be open for public use!

So very kool, I cant wait to see further development.

Thanks for posting

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Look at the price, for under a billion dollars a country can build a facility to explore the cosmos. It seems like chump change compared to what some countries spend on "national defense".

Why aren't more of these being built around the world by more countries?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Since NASA is going to be a major client, it isn't surprising.

Cynicism aside, it's good news. (To infinity...and beyond!)

[edit on 7/20/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I agree, chump change considering the US is spending $1billion on a new embassy in Iraq..For some unknown reason...

Atleast Russia knows how to spend money wisely...

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Dutchy, is the below link one of the links you were looking to post? About the space alien embassy they were going to build in Kazakhstan?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 20-7-2010 by Hawkwind.]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
To put the money into perspective, Heathrows new terminal 5 had a price tag of 4 billion pounds, roughly equates to $6 billion.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
Look at the price, for under a billion dollars a country can build a facility to explore the cosmos. It seems like chump change compared to what some countries spend on "national defense".

Why aren't more of these being built around the world by more countries?

Because it costs more then 790 million to explore space. This is just one of the bits of infrastructure needed. You need things like satellites as well. How are you going to monitor what you send up? If you send people?
Not every country has the technology readily available to send things or people to space. They need to develop it.
Add billions and billions more. And there is no guarantee of any benefit.

Then think of the fact that not every country has experts in the relevant fields, and thus there will be errors and mistakes, and crashes and failures, many many times, therefore costing more and more.

Then think about the fact that the relevant industries which allow some countries to have a space program, don't exist in every country and it's easy to start such industries.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
If you look at the location of the site they chose, it would also be used China, Korea and Japan. all of them are very close together.

At the bottom of my post is a website I found regarding the "new" cosmodrome at Svobodny. Apparently it was used during the USSR era but has fallen into disrepair. According to the website it would be cheaper to repair Svobodny than to build a new one. Somewhere in the region of R 180 billion rubles VS R 380 billion rubles.

Rabaski

www.russianspaceweb.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BLV12

I'm quite aware of the reasons why other countries don't just jump into space exploration.

However look at my country, Canada... or at least British Columbia. We have experience in space technology and exploration, we have a massive frikken country, and some of our leading industries focus on high-end technology and aeronautics.

Canada has everything and more required to start its own domestic space exploration program but it won't be done. It's not about the cost, its about the fact that if we had our own program then NASA, and the US in general, wouldn't benefit from our own exploits in space.

It's really quite sad, the potential to solve world conflict by means of space exploration is out of the question because it has dick-all to do with corporate profit.

jra

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by oDUTCHYo

Just a nitpick, but the current Russian spaceport is in Kazakhstan. The new one that's being talked about in the article will be on Russian soil.

Also, since it's related to the topic. Russia has also been building a launch site for there Soyuz rockets at the Guiana Space Centre. The first launch from there should be December 17, 2010, if all goes well.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Kazakhstan?...Isn't that where Borat is from?

new topics

top topics

join