It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria bans face veils at universities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Syria bans face veils at universities

www.bbc.co.uk

Female students wearing a full face veil will be barred from Syrian university campuses, the country's minister of higher education has said.

Ghiyath Barakat was reported to have said that the practice ran counter to the academic values and traditions of Syrian universities.

His ruling, published on the All4Syria website, was said to be in response to requests from students and parents.

"We have never gone to the extreme left or the extreme right,"

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This is surprising isn't it?
Syria?

I think that countries having a ban on the burqa is long overdue, however a muslim by majority country doing this boderlining many other muslim countries banning this, even if only in universities is not.

This might be the start of something where many other regions around the world follow.

Just thought it was an interesting share.
Thx

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

You know you are going to get these burka bans passed that you all want so bad, and then all these arab women are going to get peeved and start spontaneously exploding in your grocery stores, libraries, shopping malls, etc... Hope you will be happy then.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
was watching the bbc news
and just watching it now, (something to fo with religion) earlier on their own imans or what ever was saying how its nothing to do with religion

religion my ass

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

Actually the burqua is a Persian-Arabic culture thing exported from cultural sources to be used in the religion. So technically it is not religion.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by illusive man

Actually the burqua is a Persian-Arabic culture thing exported from cultural sources to be used in the religion. So technically it is not religion.

i know
, where they get the whole its my religion thing and goes against its teaching isw laughable

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

I'm confused from your post. Why would the women do that - because they couldn't wear the burqua?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZuluChaka

You know you are going to get these burka bans passed that you all want so bad, and then all these arab women are going to get peeved and start spontaneously exploding in your grocery stores, libraries, shopping malls, etc... Hope you will be happy then.

Wow I really hope that's sarcasm.

Just for your sake.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I think you are mis-informed my friend. The burka/headcover was/is a part of the culture but the wearing of it when in public places and when around a male that the female-wearer is not related to or married to was distictly brought about by Islam. Also, the fact that the headcover must conceal the womans hair, among other things, was also distinctly brought about by Islam.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Showtime

Sure. But how much is that true? I know that one of the BS Islam brings up with Christianity is that the bible also calls for a burqua. But if you actually read the phrase they try to use for it, they are reading it wrong. It is that worshiping formally is liked by the Lord. Like dressing up for Sunday mass, not that women should wear the burqua everywhere. So if they can't get another religion right, do they have their own right?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
i don't care to ask why right now. I just want to enjoy knowing that a major victory for liberty has happened in a place desperately needing it.

As an American, this makes me proud for them. Change sometimes happens slowly. It sucks, but just maybe.....

.....just maybe there is hope. I could sure use some right about now.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
...females being banned from an institution of higher education because of their style of dressing that some jerks find "distracting" is another example of "you better behave like i tell ya to because i dont know how to mind my own biz and i cant control myself and thats your fault"...

...those jerks will claim that they want to set the women free by FORCING them to either give up their cultural style of dressing or not attend the university (which should change their name to the university of dictated ignorance and their motto should be "we'll teach you to be our kind of robot") - and - whats even more insulting is that people widely accept this crap as okay...

...reminds me of the days here in the usofa when FORCING kids to wear school uniforms was a new idea and all the excuses to outlaw individuality that came along with it...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

If he's changing tail from listening to the clerics to opposing them, all the better.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

He opposes them quite often, which is one reason he is quite popular with the younger people of Iran.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Sure doesn't seem that way. He wears no ties and all the Iranians I've talked to hate him and are waiting till he's gone to return. It's a repeat of the shah, many European nations during WW2, and many other places. A leadership takes over you don't like, you leave till they're gone, then come back. I'm planning to do just that if the US continues down its current path. I have people at my church who did the same for Israel and Palestine. Just leave until someone you like is in.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Perfect. How can you indoctrinate people into western philosophy if they maintain their people's culture?

/sarcasm

Pretty soon the corporate uniform will be mandatory too. Dockers and button down for managers/finance, suits for sales and jeans/north face for developers.

What exactly is wrong with women not wanting to be viewed in public by the rapist barbarian class?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

There's rapists all over the world

But you shouldn't be hiding your face no matter what

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

What are you talking about. Please show me your legitimate sources. Please note, some uninformed guys opinion on the internet does not count as a legit source.

I have a felling you wont find one, know why?

Because that is utter BS. You have not studied these religions as I have.

Please let people know that you are voicing your opinion and not facts next time so as not to confuse people. Thanks.

top topics

join