It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Sunspot and this could be a big one.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This is getting a little worse at the moment. You will have to wait and see how this pans out.
NEW SUNSPOT: A new sunspot is emerging over the sun's southeastern limb, and it could be a big one.
www.spaceweather.com...
www.spaceweather.com...
www.solarcycle24.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Good find. The picture of the spot looks like it really could be big. Anyone notice the recent quake activity seemed to correspond with spot 1087? I hope that this one starts shrinking already.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Exactly. All the quakes and storms apparently not related to the last one? So if this could be a really big one well i dare say we may see a whole lot worse.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeta Reticulan

Great picutre!!! They say that a picture can say a thousand words...definitely true here.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

From your source:

Joint USAF/NOAA Report of Solar and Geophysical Activity

SDF Number 199 Issued at 2200Z on 18 Jul 2010

Analysis of Solar Active Regions and Activity from 17/2100Z to 18/2100Z: Solar activity was very low. Region 1087 (N24W48) has a simple alpha magnetic classification. A further analysis of the SOHO/LASCO imagery from yesterday show a CME was observed on C3 imagery which can be correlated with the C2 x-ray flare at 17/1801Z. This event does not seem to be Earth directed.

Solar Activity Forecast: Solar activity is expected to be very low with a slight chance for a C-class flare from Region 1087.

Geophysical Activity Summary 17/2100Z to 18/2100Z: The geomagnetic field was quiet.

Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is expected to be at quiet levels for the next three days (19-21 July).

Why do you think it will be a big one? Doesnt it say "This event does not seem to be Earth directed"?

[edit on 19-7-2010 by liveandletlive]

[edit on 19-7-2010 by liveandletlive]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Here is the view of the sunspot(s) from STEREO B.

For comparison, here's 1087 when it started to come to our side of the Sun.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I think the SHTF situation may just be getting worse?
Considering the last one died out and was smaller than this one and yet here we have a few quakes of a modest magnitude. So what would a bigger one do?

[edit on 19-7-2010 by jazz10]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Why?
It's an average sized sunspot. Showing no unusual or particularly intense activity.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
spaceweather.com states the following?
NEW SUNSPOT: A new sunspot is emerging over the sun's southeastern limb, and it could be a big one. Click here and here for first-look images.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

spaceweather.com is a good resource but they sometimes get it wrong. The STEREO B image shows the whole sunspot, why say "It might be a big one"? We can see the whole thing.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The idea that ic ould be a big one, comes directly from www.spacewweather.com

They are the ones saying it will big. Top headline on their own page.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Wake me up when we are about to die.
Line 2

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

And? The data is there so we can form our own opinions, it is clearly an average sized sunspot and doesn't show any abnormal activity. It doesn't matter what spaceweather says does it? When we can see for ourselves LOL!
Sorry if the lack of impending doom disappoints :s

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by jazz10

spaceweather.com is a good resource but they sometimes get it wrong. The STEREO B image shows the whole sunspot, why say "It might be a big one"? We can see the whole thing.

Ahhhhh please turn it in will ya? They said that it could be a big one and who am i to argue that they are wrong? I dont understand here seriously?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

Really?

You think I am looking for doom and gloom? Go have a bad day on someone else.

I posted that the article said it was big, and that it was a cool picture. I did also mention an increase in EQ activity seemed to happen with the passing of the last sun spot. I can't be curious about the relation of the two without it being doom and gloom? If we could correlate more of the scientific data between the two, wouldn't that help?

Why can't someone report what they see without it being doom and gloom? Relax

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
In my eyes a sunspot has to be fairly huge to pose a threat. This looks like any old sunspot and when you flick through the archives theres been many bigger that have faced earth. As with the earthquakes im not to keen on the whole "big spot= big quakes" theory. also a solor flare has to be of magnitude X and above to pose any major threat.

Or are you lot seeing in from the " if the suns this active now what will happon in the future" perspective?

safe.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

No its not. It's currently just another sunspot, we have had them before and will have them in the future. Sure we will probably get a huge flare some day that will cause a major issue but it's nothing to freak out about currently.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

here we go again, assuming people know as much as themselves. Did it not occur to you that some including myself find certain things a bit boggling?
If spaceweather says it could be a big one i`ll take that for now until it dies out.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Here's an example of what the data regarding sunspots and earthquakes shows.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join